Mercedes 300 SLR Uhlenhaut and Mercedes SLS AMG - Revell gift package - 1:24 scale

CrazyCrank

I don't know if I'll live long enough to build these 2 ones I found in new conditions, and still sealed, on a site of sale on line between private individuals, for cheap.

But one thing is sure: They are in my stash.

It is quite likely that I will start the assembly of the Uhlenhaut Coupé quickly, in parallel with the BMW 507, and to take a rest from the big work that has to be done for the latter, whereas the assembly of the Coupé is already facilitated by the experience gained recently during the assembly of the 300 SLR 722 and by the availability of all the parts that I have to add to it.

The Mercedes SLS AMG is a relatively recent car, and those are not my cup of tea, but I must admit that the kit is excellent, and that it would be interesting to be able display a full coherent  set:

- 300 SLR 722 Mille Miglia 1955

- 300 SLR Coupé Uhlenhaut

- 300 SL Gullwing

- 300 SL Gullwing Mille Miglia 1955

- 300 SLS AMG

52378990943_f13e7a3923_b.jpg   52379180150_dbc4a2c888_b.jpg

So, stay connected :)

• Like 10

Another Mercedes masterclass with all your experience with this series of cars together with your resin printed parts bin an outstanding result is assured.

I'll take a seat and follow along if I may?

Stay safe               Roger 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

Another Mercedes masterclass with all your experience with this series of cars together with your resin printed parts bin an outstanding result is assured.

I'll take a seat and follow along if I may?

Stay safe               Roger 

If you may ? of course Roger, with great pleasure :)

Regarding the "masterclass", I have no such pretensions, I simply will do my best, as usual.

Obviously, my skills enhance little by little, build after build.

Hopefully, the engine bay of the 300 SLR Uhlenhaut will be much better 🤔

Thanks for your kind Praise 😎

• Like 1

Great finds, those two.  Like you, my interest in modern cars is limited - my soul lies in the period 1955-1970 - but these two would make great builds and watching them take shape to your standards will be a joy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah, this will be excellent! The Uhlenhaut Coupé! It will be interesting to follow your build. Lovely car.

I have the same kit in my stash to be built some day. I so much hope the story is true that Rudolf Uhlenhaut was late for that meeting in Stuttgart, but with his portfolio in the passenger seat made the two hour autobahn drive from Munich in just one hour, and the meeting went ahead on time. It must be true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Ah, this will be excellent! The Uhlenhaut Coupé! It will be interesting to follow your build. Lovely car.

I have the same kit in my stash to be built some day. I so much hope the story is true that Rudolf Uhlenhaut was late for that meeting in Stuttgart, but with his portfolio in the passenger seat made the two hour autobahn drive from Munich in just one hour, and the meeting went ahead on time. It must be true.

Thanks Jörgen for your kind word :)

I've read the same story on several websites.. Is there any truth to this story, or has it all been romanticised or worse, is it a legend?

I don't know, but I'm pleased believing it's true  !

Evening gentlemen :)

Just for fun and to whet your appetite before I start the build, a small comparison between the bodywork of the 300 SLR coupe and the SLS AMG, which is its modern replica :

52381330009_64c35dea2f_c.jpg

52381446175_f834907aa9_b.jpg

Surprising, isn't it ?

• Like 4

Love the Uhlenhaut. Apparently it's currently the most expensive car ever, having just been sold for €135 million. I was in the Mercedes Benz museum this summer and took a picture of it there, not knowing its value at that point, a friend told me that later!

• Like 3

Evening guys :)

Well, fight will begin soon with the 300 SLR Uhlenhaut 😎

And first, what's in the box ?

7 well-stocked sprues, the bodywork, tyres and decals , not counting the instructions.

52386319736_cb82160cd3_c.jpg   52386751580_1b1f8282f4_c.jpg

52385390462_ce0238236d_c.jpg   52386319891_f00d8ae87e_c.jpg

52386319816_969da37fe3_c.jpg

A total of 121 parts, not counting the decals.

The good points:

- The clear parts are of very high quality, very near of what we have in a Tamiya  kit

- The bodywork is very accurate, though there's some imperfections, that will be fixed with putty

- The decals are excellent

The bad points:

1. Chromed parts have a lot of flash and are too shiny, as for the 300 SLR 722;

2. The wire wheels are ugly ,  as for the 300 SLR 722. It doesn't matter, I've a lot of 3D printed ones . :)
3. And unfortunately, there's only 4 tyres, while the car had also 2 spare wheels. 🙄

You could say that it doesn't matter, because the kit's body has its trunk closed................Really ? 🤔

I do think  that it could be modified to be openable..I've to check one thing or so to be sure, but t's my first impression ;)

And if I can make it openable, I need two spare wheels !

4. As I feared it would be, there's no wheel arches ! 

As much as this did not bother me too much for Stirling Moss's 300 SLR n° 722 , as much as for this vehicle, certainly of race, but thought and modified to circulate on normal roads, it disappoints me enormously !
I think I'll have to study this kit in depth to check if they can be scratch-built or not.

Do you think I'm biting more than I can chew ?

Stay connected for the answer :)

• Like 3

Back in 2014, we were treated to the Uhlenhaut Coupe 'red' in the paddock at Goodwood, largely ignored but looking gorgeous on its transporter. I remember at the time thinking that it was likely the most valuable object I'd ever seen, apart from the Mona Lisa. But the following year both 'red' and 'blue' attended the Festival of Speed!

SLR and transporter (13)

• Like 8

Great to see you setting about these, CC. It was the gift set of the 2 Mercedes Gullwing cars that got me started on the Uhlenhaut coupe. I have made considerable progress ON THE AMG SLS car...... And then stopped. I'll need to take another look in the box, see if it's built itself by now. 😊

As for the SLR, you can see already there are vast similarities kitwise with the race car. I saw it immediately when I looked at your Stirling Moss build. But please go carefully with the boot lid.... 😶

I did see a photo, or perhaps 2?- of the coupe fitted with a big awkward silencer box on the outside of the passenger side. I guess the traffic cops were on his case.... if they ever caught up with him 😇

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Hello guys :)

This project is not stillborn !

As my BMW 507 build will be finished probably 2 months after I come back home, this one will take over the previous one in June or July.

Indeed, I feel compelled to continue my Mercedes cycle: 300SL Gullwing, 300 SL Mille Miglia John Fitch, 300 SL naked chassis, 300SLR Le Mans Stirling Moss, 300 SLR Uhlenhaut, and, finally, Mercedes SLS AMG!
And this time, I think I must focus on the absolutely exceptional body shell shapes,  and so do justice to this legendary and almost unique  sports car, as only 3  were built.
Nevertheless, the engine bay, the cabin and the inside of the trunk will be full detailed, and consequently, the trunk will be mandatory openable.

So, stay tuned on all my frequencies, in order not to loose any important release  🙄😎

• Like 5

If this build is anything like the BMW 507 I'm in!  I can't hold a candle to your skills so I'll stay on the sidelines and make the coffee. :coffee:🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Neddy said:

If this build is anything like the BMW 507 I'm in!  I can't hold a candle to your skills so I'll stay on the sidelines and make the coffee. :coffee:🙂

You're too modest @Neddy, thanks for your compliment :)

And for sure, the level of this future build will be the same, hopefully !

I forgot to mention that I'll build the Mercedes SLS AMG in parallel 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Indeed, I feel compelled to continue my Mercedes cycle: 300SL Gullwing, 300 SL Mille Miglia John Fitch, 300 SL naked chassis, 300SLR Le Mans Stirling Moss, 300 SLR Uhlenhaut, and, finally, Mercedes SLS AMG!

All you need now is to get hold of Revell's A-Class 😆

Have a good time over in Canada.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spiny said:

All you need now is to get hold of Revell's A-Class 😆

Have a good time over in Canada.

Far too recent and modern for me. I'm not interested in modelling such cars 🙄

Morning guys :)

Yesterday afternoon I finished all the preparations for my departure to Canada, and I was a little idle.

So, rather than bugging Mrs CrazyCrank, I decided to keep myself busy by seeing what I could do with the bodywork of this 300 SLR Uhlenhaut.
So I dry fitted the two main parts of the cockpit, temporarily attached them to the tubular chassis and inserted the whole thing into the body.... and realized I was right when I said I could modify it to make the trunk openable.

No sooner said than done!

And here is the result....

53456073793_a3694a5aea_c.jpg   53456262709_809b2223db_c.jpg

53456262659_d8eca4a15f_c.jpg   53455949861_5948081f92_c.jpg

53455024602_1e5cd41a96_c.jpg   53456360120_679a8268b6_c.jpg

53456262374_681b94a849_c.jpg

It's irreparable now, so I have to go all the way!

• Like 6