Hasegawa F-14

My third build in a week whilst getting over a spot of stupidity induced surgery.

Hasegawa F14 Tomcat

The box

P1110142.jpg

The bits

P1110140.jpg

I have a bit of history with the F14 as it was one of the first kits that I built when I got back into the hobby 5 years ago. Here is my Italeri version which I was pleased with, but it simultaneously makes my teeth itch.

P1110141.jpg

• Like 6

I too will be paying close attention as one of these lurks in my upstairs cupboard.  Good to know the seats are easy 🤣  Are you doing the sundowners scheme?  Can't remember what options are in there..

Al.

The seats!

P1110144.jpg

Added some PE handles to the top and as Hasegawa supplied the crew I thought I'd add them. Markings on the helmets are butchered spare decals from a Harrier GR3.

Managed to sneak a 10g self adhesive wheel balance weight under the cockpit floor which avoids any dangerous messing about with Liquid Gravity and Rocket Hot.

P1110143.jpg

• Like 3

Also just discovered that this aircraft was lost in 1991 when the arrestor cable snapped. That makes it three from three for my recent builds. The F4 crashed into the North Sea, the SR 71 is at the bottom of the Pacific and now this one was reduced to scrap somewhere near San Diego.

Best not build anything civilian or still in service next!

EDIT - I'm five from five as the GR3 and Sea Vixen also went down! 😳

• Sad 4

12 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Also just discovered that this aircraft was lost in 1991 when the arrestor cable snapped. That makes it three from three for my recent builds. The F4 crashed into the North Sea, the SR 71 is at the bottom of the Pacific and now this one was reduced to scrap somewhere near San Diego.

Perhaps you should stick with building UAVs?

1 hour ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

EDIT - I'm five from five as the GR3 and Sea Vixen also went down! 😳

You've now got me thinking, might have to do an audit of my builds 🤣

I will follow this one with interest, because I love an F-14 (who doesn’t?) and also because I just finished the Hasegawa F-102. The F-102 was a very straightforward build, but it’s just a tube with two delta wings and a fin sticking out, so a lot simpler I guess. Good luck!!

6 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

stupidity induced surgery

How many stitches? That’s the metric I use when comparing notes with friends…

Regards,

Adrian

Also, there are no bulkheads behind the seats, so there is a huge hole in the back and Mavrick will soon get sick of Goose kicking the back of his chair on long flights.

Made some up with plasti-card. Once painted and weathered they won't be noticeable, but without them it looked rubbish.

P1110145.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The fit so far is very good. Not even the faintest smear of filler.

Maverick and Goose were clearly two generic pilot mouldings, so even after I had thinned out their knees to get round the control columns they still didn't fit. With the lid down their heads were below the line of the canopy surround, so they are now sat on booster cushions (not for the first time eh Mr Cruise?)

P1110148.jpg

P1110149.jpg

Painted the wings prior to assembly as I figured it would be less hassle... the glue-fingered one of them. Meh.

• Like 2

Got it together and primed. 

P1110151.jpg

P1110152.jpg

Painted the wings prior to assembly and experimented with panel wash, mottling and a spot of filth in the swing-wing bit.

@Biggles87 there have been no issues at all. This is the only filler! I think that the canopy is slightly oversized, but I can live with that.

P1110150.jpg

However, I must confess to not being the most "precious" of builders and I'll never build anything of show quality.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1