1/48 Airfix Vampire

Lord Riot

Having been away from modelling for rather a long time, on opening the box of the Vulcan I must admit I was rather overwhelmed with the amount of parts and how much detail would be required. It doesn’t seem a suitable build to restart with, in short. I feel I need a simpler build to get me back into it, and this little Vampire kit seems ideal.

From reading various reviews I believe the kit has the parts required to build an FB.5, so that’s what I’ll be trying to do. Specifically, I’m going to make it to represent a Vampire from what would have been my local unit, No. 613 (City of Manchester) Sqn, based at RAF Ringway, now Manchester airport of course. I reckon back in those halcyon days these Vampires would have been regularly buzzing around over the Prestbury/Macclesfield area and over the Peak District hills. I understand they did frequently train from Woodford too.

Again, the now familiar box:

38-DB4-AD3-EC4-E-42-E3-A7-E2-99-C573-A20

And the decals I’ll be using.

988152-AA-9-CBF-4-F43-A689-017234-BC1929

22385097-1033-47-CB-908-D-7-EA1-ABD36636

This is the aircraft I’ll be doing; VV632/E, circa 1955.

EF387948-1905-4924-B58-E-194247-A1963-A.

The real thing!

805-F2-D7-A-E89-D-4-EB4-8-A6-B-11-C57-DF

All comments, criticisms and ideas welcome!

Paints. I’ll be using my usual aerosols as I can’t brush paint. Gloss dark green, gloss DSG top, with metallic silver undersides.

• Like 16

I hope you're well your Lordship.  Nice choice  such a wonderful Aircraft design.  I think the kit does include the extra parts and was going to do the same , but got an extra one with some Flying hours tokens and have now changed my mind and doing the F.3 and an FB.31 TT when the bits are available from Ben (Wellsprop models).

Although could get another one day and do the FB.5 too!!!

Good luck with your build 

Chris

• Thanks 1

Close ups never do my brush painting any favours, but if you can look past that, I’m not sure about the right seat colours. The instructions call for ‘brick red’, that can’t be right can it? Surely the usual RAF post-war matt black?

Photos seem hard to come by for the old FB.5, does anyone have any definitive info on what colour the seat and straps should be?

17-A5-D064-495-C-4-FAB-8088-94-E6-D135-A

• Like 4

I don’t have a definitive answer on the seat colour but I remember a thread on here a while back where it was put forward and discussed that the seats may have been Bakelite the same as in Spitfires. 

Nice work so so far by the way. 

James

• Thanks 1

Some progress today, it’s a nice little kit to build this, really enjoying it. Very good engineering by Airfix!

I squeezed as much weight in the nose as I could, I’ll add some to the nose cone if I can fit some in there too. 

E914-AFA2-624-E-4-EA3-8572-88-BA60-CD819

Both top and bottom fuselage halves done. I like how you fit so much into the lower half before sealing it up, very simple solution and fits nicely. The tail booms fit well too, no risk of getting them out of alignment as there are slots in the trailing edge bulkhead.
Remember to fit the correct one to each side though, with the slot for the tailplanes inside. Luckily I noticed before the glue set!

8016-FC80-A7-C5-4276-9869-C7-C5-C3-D6-A2

Top half, with a few cockpit details and I have to say very nice instrument panel decals in the kit, no need for aftermarket in my opinion.

B9-FD9-A69-0-C7-A-4-A8-C-B00-F-20-A3678-

• Like 8

I spoke too soon about how great the fit is! It may just be me cramming too much noseweight in of course, but I had to trim quite a bit off the rear cockpit bulkhead to get the nose section together. The wings fit fine, just the nose pod that was awkward.

It still needs some filler along the join line. 

C89-ED7-B7-811-E-4318-87-F0-DDDB25-B26-B

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I spoke too soon about how great the fit is! It may just be me cramming too much noseweight in of course, but I had to trim quite a bit off the rear cockpit bulkhead to get the nose section together. The wings fit fine, just the nose pod that was awkward.

It still needs some filler along the join line. 

C89-ED7-B7-811-E-4318-87-F0-DDDB25-B26-B

@Lord RiotI've had a similar situation with both of my first two Vampires.  I scraped a bit of plastic from inside the fuselage upper section as well as taking some material from the edges of the bulkhead to ease the fit.  On number 3 I’m going in properly prepared and doing that job before painting anything.

• Like 2

Been busy on this today and got quite a bit done. Main airframe fitted together although the nose area needed filler and sanding as well as the cockpit bulkhead sanding down. 

7-A150-A72-84-D6-4436-B545-057672218-AD9

Silver undersides sprayed.

3-E7-D0-CBC-B398-4-EB2-BF4-F-9-E652666-E

• Like 11

A rare moment of sunshine to spray the grey, and I must say I’m pleased with how smooth it’s turned out. I’ll leave it to dry overnight now before adding the blu-tack worms and making up ready for the dark green.

A4-DB7910-1-F6-A-4-F96-BCBF-8-E41-B6-CA0

• Like 7

Something to consider regarding the underwing serials for later. I noticed in both these photos of 613 Sqn Vampires that it looks like the serial is presented as one inboard of the roundels, whereas the instructions and indeed most other photos show the serial split, with two digits on the undercarriage doors.

I’m assuming, given the evidence, that although these are the only examples I’ve seen of it presented on the wing only, that this is how I should apply it, not on the undercarriage doors. 

Anyone have any more info/photos/thoughts?

DDE0-AB81-08-E8-4624-A15-C-CCCFA8-A65737 AAE1-CDB7-D3-D0-468-B-89-C7-BE81770-C447

Instructions say to split the serial.

745-A297-A-C3-B8-4-EAD-AD09-4-A11760-FC5

• Like 2

On 9/26/2022 at 3:26 AM, Lord Riot said:

It may just be me cramming too much noseweight in of course, but I had to trim quite a bit off the rear cockpit bulkhead to get the nose section together.

I'm not sure about the law in the UK but here in Australia you can buy shotgun lead shot without a firearms licence. I use it for weight in most of my models and it's cheap and fills small spaces easily. A bit of PVA glue holds it all in place.

• Like 1

Split serials was the norm I'd say ,to make way for the under wing tanks. But as proved by the photo, variations do occur. If your chosen subject had split one's, them go with it.

• Like 1

The big reveal, at last, after a few bits of touching up where the green was too thick and had left a ridge between the camo patterns. I gently sanded the camo demarcation lines down and remasked and resprayed various areas, mostly on the left wing. I think I probably just sprayed it too thick. Perhaps a thinner coat then wait and spray another thin coat would work better than one full coat? 

Anyway, it’s pretty much sorted now. Quite happy with how straight the silver/camo line is on the nose.

7-A586-B78-BC39-4-A4-B-A9-D2-59700-B6134

A3-EA7-F31-57-C4-4-AA9-963-F-71-CCADDCB6

0293-A6-CD-24-E8-47-AD-AB35-59785010-A0-

I washed over some flory dark dirt wash just to bring out some of the detail a bit. I think these RAuxAF Vampires were generally quite clean though.

535-BC43-C-E150-404-D-AC49-290-A66-F83-C

625-D54-BE-B65-C-46-E5-8-B2-F-FEFDB5614-

• Like 10