BRE Hino Contessa 1300

Bengalensis

More painting of parts in the afternoon.

HC35.jpg

I'm not sure about the steering wheel, the instruction call for black, but a photo of the -67 car shows something brighter, so I painted wood. Reviewing everything again I think it's just light shining, so I will repaint it black. Although the dashboard is full of imitated wood...

HC36.jpg

The tyres are clear coated to receive decals.

HC37.jpg

• Like 6

The decals are very well printed, but they are a bit fragile and need to be handled with care. They are responding to Microsol, but slowly and some heat is needed. Apparently the decal work will be a little challenge. The dashboard decals didn't fit that well, but it will be OK as is.

HC38.jpg

The tyre decals was nervous work with the thin rings, but it worked fine in the end. Here with a flat coat sprayed.

HC39.jpg

• Like 11

After surviving one of those weeks from hell I managed to get a little more done today. I masked and sprayed black on the chassis section, and then did a little detail painting.

HC40.jpg

HC41.jpg

I have also done the basic chrome foil work on the bodyshell. It will look better after I have also done the detail black painting associated with it.

HC42.jpg

• Like 8

There passed another week filled with work and what not else but no work bench activity. This morning I started the detail painting of the bodyshell, things like window edges and similar. But it was difficult to find a good a workflow for some reason, and it felt like I was just fighting the paint, but I got most of it done. I'm leaving this one for today to hopefully paint the underside tomorrow.

HC43.jpg

The floor pan also got a little work done.

HC44.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much gentlemen. Weeks filled with distractions have passed, but this one is now ready for decals. I'm a little nervous about that as they seem a little sensitive, but we shall soon see...

HC45.jpg

And after some more careful studying of period B/W reference photos tonight, the steering wheel rim is now black...

HC46.jpg

• Like 8

The decaling session of a race car is usually one of the stages in a build I enjoy the most, but today has been quite tense. The decals were very slow to release from the backing paper, quite hard and a little fragile and very slow to respond to softeners. The red stripes took me the better part of the morning and all the way to lunch, but in the end they were beaten into submission. This is after mixing a suitable red paint and touching up several small cracks and damages.

HC47.jpg

HC48.jpg

In the afternoon the other decals were a little more relaxed, or, well, everything is relative... But with some minor touching up with black paint I'm happy with the result.

HC49.jpg

HC50.jpg

• Like 13

On 24/10/2022 at 21:27, JeroenS said:

Ooh that's really nice! Quite a change. 

Thanks a lot Jeroen! It was quite booring in plain white... Not even Michelotti's designs survive plain white, very few do actually...

On 25/10/2022 at 08:35, Vesa Jussila said:

This looks business! Good progress!

Thank you very much Vesa!

On 25/10/2022 at 21:54, keefr22 said:

That is lovely, stunning work Jörgen!

Keith

Thanks a lot Keith!

On 25/10/2022 at 23:45, klubman01 said:

Looking better at every stage.  Great work, well done.

Trevor

Many thanks Trevor!

I started putting together the first few sub assemblies yesterday.

HC51.jpg

HC52.jpg

Window fitting started with the front and rear screens. That was the easy part and went pretty well.

HC53.jpg

The side windows needed more work. The supplied templates seemed a fraction small for my needs, so I cut them slightly oversized, one side at a time, and test fitted as I went on. The rear ones were quite easy as I could glue them from the inside. The fuel cap also found its location.

HC54.jpg

The door windows had to be placed edge to edge, centred in their frames. That meant some very careful trimming little by little and finally gluing with Kristal Klear applied with a 5/0 paint brush. Not much of that is visible here though, except that the dashboard and rear view mirror has been fitted. Not even that is very visible...

HC55.jpg

A view from the inside where the door cards have also been glued.

HC56.jpg

The steering column has been glued and bent to its correct best position against the dashboard. Test fitting, test fitting... Then the seats could be glued. Next a set of seat belts have to be made up.

HC57.jpg

• Like 10

I used some old left over photo etched parts and strips cut from wine bottle foil to make up a four point harness. The left fixing point on the roll cage finally had to be moved and the paint touched up, there was no longer any way to pretend I would get away with it off centred from the seat as it was...

HC58.jpg

Detail parts fitted to the front end.

HC59.jpg

The rear end parts were also glued in place. It was a bit fiddly with the photo etched license plate holder fitted to two small bent photo etch brackets.

HC60.jpg

Soon the bottom and top halves where joined together, the minimal exhaust system fitted and the wheels on their axles glued with epoxy and aligned while curing.

HC61.jpg

HC62.jpg

With weighted flats applied to the tyres after everything had dried solid I'm much more happy with the sit on the ground surface. There are no more parts left to fit, I think this one may be finished.

HC63.jpg

HC64.jpg

• Like 10

Despite you work very fast, your builds are always flawless, and this one is no exception to the rule.
I'm not a fan of this kind of cars, but I must admit that this one is stunning and that I love it 😍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Doesn't that look just fabulous? How can such a small car look like it's doing 90 while parked?

I don't think I ever saw a real one. I have found one for sale though, 1967 and 6999 GBP!

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1279027

That looks just like the ones we got out here, inflation seems to have clobbered them a bit though. ;) :D

Steve.

• Like 2

As always with your builds a stunning result, superb workmanship and outstanding paintwork!

I always learn from your projects and look forward to more of the same in the future

Stay safe            Roger

• Thanks 1