Tamiya AS spray paints - compatability

stomper666

The AS sprays are if my memory serves me right a synthetic laquer, whereas the XF paints are water based acrylics, so X-20A will not work.

You shouldn't need to thin decanted AS paint anyway, it is by its nature already thin enough to spray, you should have no problems spraying it over Halfords primer, I've often used Halfords primer under Tamiya spray bombs, just build up the colour gradually.

• Like 1

Hi

thanks.   It seemed pretty thick once i’d decanted it into a small plastic container and left to gas off but I think that might have been the laquer melting the plastic then.  I’ll give it a a go with a glass one.

wanted to decant and spray in order to get better control of shading and modulation.  Would have used XF but its the US SE Asia 3 tone camo colours I’m after.

Cheers

mike

19 hours ago, stomper666 said:

Hi

are the Tamiya AS paints the same as regular XF range?  I decanted to use in my airbrush and X-20A thinner didnt mix at all.

I’m intending to spray over Halfords white primer.

Cheers

mike

No, they are lacquers. You probably don't even need to thin them, but if you want to, Tamiya lacquer thinner works perfectly.

• Like 2