RAF Thunderbolt armament question

Rodney P

Has anyone got any information on the what and when of bombs carried by RAF SEAC Thunderbolts?  

I’ve got a few of the Tamiya 1/48 P-47Ds and Xtradecal set 48115.  From what photos I’ve been able to find both RAF and USAAF 500lb bombs were carried:

RAF bombs   [https://www.awm.gov.au/advanced-search?collection=true&facet_type=Photograph&facet_related_units=No.%20261%20Squadron%20(RAF)<>]

USAAF bombs  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:P-47_Thunderbolt_in_British_service#/media/File:Royal_Air_Force_Operations_in_the_Far_East,_1941-1945._CI1057.jpg

thanks

US 500lb bombs could be carried without further ado.  British bombs required the addition of a UK bomb carrier to the bottom of the wing pylons as an adapter, though they are not often clearly visible.  Such bomb carriers are available in the Airfix 1/72 Swordfish and Blenheim kits and, I imagine, in their 1/48 equivalents.  Offhand, I can’t recall any UK bombs other than 500lb MC being carried but I haven’t looked for a while.

Edited by Seahawk
See following post for revised/corrected info.

I've just been through Geoff Thomas' excellent Royal Air Force Thunderbolts.  It's often salutary to reacquaint oneself with some facts!

In 12 photos showing underwing stores on operational aircraft,

• 1 shows US 500lb (HD273, NA-N, Mk.II)
  • 1 shows 500lb MC (KJ335, FJ-W, Mk.II)
  • 1 appears to show 500lb GP (FL831, NA-N, Mk.II)
  • 4 show US P-38 style drop tanks (eg HD215 NA-F, Mk.II; HD298 RS-U, Mk.II; HD173, A, Mk.I; KL859 MU-T, Mk.II).  "Seam" invariably vertical, colour aluminium.
  • 3 show US 110 gal P-47-style parallel sided drop tanks (eg KL315 AW-F, Mk.II; KL856 KW-D, Mk.II, KL882 MU-H, Mk.II).

Some photos are bit murky so identification of stores not always 100% definite.  There are others where the store is identifiable but not the individual aircraft.

Somewhere floating around on the internet is an invaluable Pathe film showing SEAC Thunderbolt operations.  It may well give you more ideas.

US and british bombs over 250lbs had one lug for british bomb carriers on one side and two lugs

diametrically opposite for US shackles, so these bombs could be carried by US or british airplanes

Edited by BS_w
  • Like 1