Scale Aviation & Military Modeller International

Jonny

Apologies if this has been highlighted before.

Anyway, I was browsing magazines in my local Newsagent today when I spotted this title.  There's no publication month or year at all on the front cover.

Howver, there's a lot about new decal releases, as well as kit releases.  After that there are 'build' artcicles such as a 1/35 Draon Brummbar, the Airfix 1/72 Lancaster B.III, and the Eduard 1/48 P51 Mustang among others.

Editor is one Jay Laverty who introduces himself on the last page.

No indication whether this is a monthly or longer period publication though there is an advert for subscriptions, for 3, 6, 12, 18 and 24 months, so one assumes monthly but who knows?

I thought some might be interested .... .

Jonny

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, treker_ed said:

SAM is a different publication. you may be referring to SAMI.

SAM (or Scale Aircraft Modelling) is published by Guideline Publications and has nothing to do with MA Publications or whatever it is known as now!

(I have noticed you refer to SAM Publications which was the original publisher of SAMI, but to stop confusion with current magazines on sale, I added the above clarification)

No idea what you are trying to say here or even why you are saying it.

Scale Aircraft Modelling (SAM) is indeed and always has been a different publication from Scale Aviation Modeller International (SAMI) but as SAM Publications are not the publisher of Scale Aircraft Modelling (SAM) which is in fact  published by Guideline Publications why is there a need to clarify something which was never said in the first place.

SAM Publications is/was the name of a publishing company not the title of a publication and I quoted that company name as one of the rebrandings that has led to the recent launch of the title subject but at no time did I refer to either of the magazine titles Scale Aircraft Modelling (SAM) or Scale Aviation Modeller International (SAMI) by name so the need to clarify what was not being discussed seems rather odd.

• Like 2

Don't touch them with a barge pole! It's run by Mr.E*****t who drove SAMI and MA into the groud by not paying their staff and/or contributors. Do not give them your money! Literally just buy any other magazine - my recommendations would be Phoenix Scale Publications, Guideline Publications or Airfix Model World.

Please please please don't buy this and feed Elliott what he doesn't need or deserve. I also know atleast one of the articles in there has been used without the contributors permission or knowledge so that's a great start isn't it 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍🤮

Edited by Warwolf
Remove name
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Interesting. I seem to recall Mr. Lafferty taking some pains to make it clear he was not editor of SAMI when a recent claim to that effect was made in an issue not long ago. I think there was a comment that this had been said in the magazine without his knowledge or consent.

Would therefore be a bit unusual for him now to be acting as Editor for this 'new' effort. 

The lack of a publication date is also interesting. Hasn't that been tried before?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

Interesting. I seem to recall Mr. Lafferty taking some pains to make it clear he was not editor of SAMI when a recent claim to that effect was made in an issue not long ago. I think there was a comment that this had been said in the magazine without his knowledge or consent.

Would therefore be a bit unusual for him now to be acting as Editor for this 'new' effort. 

The lack of a publication date is also interesting. Hasn't that been tried before?

The sad thing is that he is well aware of the issues many contributors and subscribers had with the owner. It feels a bit as a stab in the back of the whole modelling community he accepted the job anyway. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 4

• Jonny changed the title to Scale Aviation & Military Modeller International
  • 3 months later...
On 22/09/2022 at 13:44, Warwolf said:

Don't touch them with a barge pole! It's run by Mr.E*****t who drove SAMI and MA into the groud by not paying their staff and/or contributors. Do not give them your money! Literally just buy any other magazine - my recommendations would be Phoenix Scale Publications, Guideline Publications or Airfix Model World.

Please please please don't buy this and feed Elliott what he doesn't need or deserve. I also know atleast one of the articles in there has been used without the contributors permission or knowledge so that's a great start isn't it 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍🤮

About 3 hours ago I put a "Laugh" Emoji on one of his FB posts advertising the mags. Within two hours I had an abusive message and veiled threats of violence, specific threats of legal action ( After I accused him, fairly,  in answering the PM of ripping off readers and contributors) and a threat of writing a story about me. He's unhinged. 

Edited by Stuondrums
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Stuondrums said:

About 3 hours ago I put a "Laugh" Emoji on one of his FB posts advertising the mags. Within two hours I had an abusive message and veiled threats of violence, specific threats of legal action ( After I accused him, fairly,  in answering the PM of ripping off readers and contributors) and a threat of writing a story about me. He's unhinged. 

Yep. That's him alright. Acting like a bully and ripping off people.

René

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Stuondrums said:

Have you reported that to Facebook? Anyone threatening folks on the internet isn’t as free to do so as they used to be, so make sure you screen shot it, and your will is up to date ;) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Julien said:

You could make those comments public so that it shows what he is like?

I exposed him several times on my facebook page after he made physical threats to me. How did I dare to ask for payment after contributing to his magazines?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Stuondrums said:

Please post the screenshots here. People really do need to see what he is like, first hand. We've got these threads here on Britmodeller but no imagery. Plenty of screenshots on Facebook posts like @HartDeco said, but not all go on Facebook. Please post here! I wish I had managed to record the telephone conversation we once had - oh boy that would have been good...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Warwolf said:

Please post the screenshots here.

Sorry, but we can't permit that. :fraidnot:  We don't want to become embroiled in any legal issues caused by the actions of this individual, but we understand entirely why everyone is getting up-tight about it.  It seems if you stay in the hobby/industry long enough, you eventually stumble on the wrong type of people. :poop:Excuse the random emoji.  My keyboard has been playing up lately. :clown:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Hmm - I had  a wee look at what I assume is the Facebook page. In there there is a video headed 'Not every day you get to fly a WW1 Fighter'. Unless I have gone completely bananas, it's a Tiger Moth that is being flown...

Walter Mitty lives ?

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

Hmm - I had  a wee look at what I assume is the Facebook page. In there there is a video headed 'Not every day you get to fly a WW1 Fighter'. Unless I have gone completely bananas, it's a Tiger Moth that is being flown...

Walter Mitty lives ?

2 wings = WW1 - Tiggy, Swordfish, An-2, etc. Below a certain number of functioning synapses, at least. I wonder if he'd also refer to German and Austro-Hungarian forces of the time as 'Axis'? Mind you, seen all of that in more august publications than his as well (insert irritated old man sighing emoji, once invented).

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Genuine question and not intended to poke the trolls but has the briefly resuscitated joint title relapsed yet again , not seen it in the shops or any new issue on their website since No.613 with the F-14/Comet on the cover that was released end of December?

People,

On a whim I searched the Interweb for the magazine title 'Scale Aviation & Military Modeller International'

This is what I read: -

More than 50 years of publishing expertise, a few name changes along the way and a fresh start epitomise the current iteration of Scale Aviation Military Modeller International Magazine. Consistently maintaining a strong connection with both the modeller and industry, we have consistently been at the vanguard of innovation, never afraid to take risks to maintain relevance.

With an experienced, fresh and eager editorial team, highly skilled team of premier talent model builders, a re-invigorated and professional Marketing and Publishing team, SAMMI stands ready to make waves within the print modelling magazine industry and forge new standards in publishing excellence. 

It LOOKS as though it's available digitally only by subscription or mail order for a single issue at £5:99 a pop or 6 monthly ( £16:99 ) or 12 monthly, ( £29:99 ) from the publishers, PocketMags.  Current issue is 615.

So that's why no-one's seen a hard copy of the magazine in the shops!

I thought some might be interested ..... .

Thanks for that Jonny , version of the website I get is stuck on issue 613.

Will give those options a miss I think , one thing to pick up an item from the shelf and pay at the till another to get involved in distance sales with all of the distribution issues that seem to haunt them.