NIK122

5 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Lovely job👌 AA kits do make you think about how to fit this and that don’t they? And of course with SG once it’s on it’s on😄

Thanks! It's had its challenges yes! It's my first resin conversion and as I'd now like to build the Centaur dozer probably not the last. A 1/35 Crusader dozer would be good too but it doesn't look like there is one. If I can get hold of some drawings maybe it's time to try full scratch build!? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening! A small update. The builds slowly coming together. The stowage has all been painted and is ready to go. It's just a case of deciding how to place it all. All the pieces were airbrushed a base colour and then given a Tamiya dark brown wash and some dry brushing.

spacer.png

I've tried to keep the chipping effects to a minimum as the plan is to represent the vehicle after its just come ashore.

spacer.png

The base was missing some details so as I like punishing my eye sight I decided to have a go at making some barbed wire to add interest.

My neighbour kindly donated some electrical wire of a suitable gauge. Straight forward enough but fiddly and time consuming. A single strand of wire doubled over and twisted in a pin vice makes the central wire. The barbs were made by looping two strands. The first has the loop at the top and the second the loop at the bottom of the main strand. Each is held in place with a drop of CA.

spacer.png

The strands are then cut to length. I must of spent six hours making 175mm of wire in shifts. 🤪 I think it was worth it.

spacer.png

And in place.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Finally some base colours going onto the base. I'm hoping less is more by not overdoing items on the base bearing in mind most of the base is taken up by the ARV. Thoughts welcome.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Edited by NIK122
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Geo1966 said:

The base and the stowage look excellent to me Nik. Well done with the barbed wire, you must have the patience of a Saint!

George

Thanks George! Not sure about Saintly, more a little unhinged. Still it's all about having a go with these things. I'm not sure I'll be doing a WW1 scene any time soon though. 

Good evening. A little more on the base details. The base was looking a little sterile so I've been trying to add some realism. Modelling a beach hasn't been as straight forward as I imagined. The colour of the sand both wet and dry for instance took some work. Using photos of Normandy beaches it's been a case of trial and error. Tamiya Desert yellow with a little flat yellow base. Tamiya Buff overspray for the lighter colour and a custom oil wash to try and simulate wet sand over the bottom half of the base.

The posts have been airbrushed Tamiya Buff and then painted with an oil wash.

spacer.png

The addition of some seaweed has helped with the beach setting. Made from thin strips of Tamiya tape. 

The tracks on the ARV have now been permanently fixed. They are the kit rubber band tracks which I ended up using instead of the Hobby Boss individual links. Fair play to anyone who has the patience to assemble 123 pieces per side when the links don't even clip together. They weren't for me.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

• Like 15

On 14/11/2022 at 22:44, NIK122 said:

Good evening! A small update. The builds slowly coming together. The stowage has all been painted and is ready to go. It's just a case of deciding how to place it all. All the pieces were airbrushed a base colour and then given a Tamiya dark brown wash and some dry brushing.

spacer.png

I've tried to keep the chipping effects to a minimum as the plan is to represent the vehicle after its just come ashore.

spacer.png

The base was missing some details so as I like punishing my eye sight I decided to have a go at making some barbed wire to add interest.

My neighbour kindly donated some electrical wire of a suitable gauge. Straight forward enough but fiddly and time consuming. A single strand of wire doubled over and twisted in a pin vice makes the central wire. The barbs were made by looping two strands. The first has the loop at the top and the second the loop at the bottom of the main strand. Each is held in place with a drop of CA.

spacer.png

The strands are then cut to length. I must of spent six hours making 175mm of wire in shifts. 🤪 I think it was worth it.

spacer.png

And in place.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Finally some base colours going onto the base. I'm hoping less is more by not overdoing items on the base bearing in mind most of the base is taken up by the ARV. Thoughts welcome.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Hello Nik

Your build is really great!
The DIY barbed wire makes a lot of work, but it is worth it.
A well done scene.
MD

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon. Nearly across the finish line with this project. This will be the last post here before crossing over to finished models. 

I've had a go at painting a figure. Added some details to the base and the stowage to the ARV. So here goes.

The figure is from Masterbox, British Infantry, Western Europe 44', 45'. It's a mix of parts ie, one leg changed to create a slightly different pose, different head than specified. Not sure if he's laughing or crying? Tamiya acrylics and Vallejo flesh tone set used. The colours of the uniform, webbing and helmet are all custom mixes using colour photos as reference as the colours specified by Masterbox didn't look right to my eye. Whether it stands up to scrutiny blown up to this size I will let you be the judge but from a normal viewing distance I'm happy with it. There is a long way to go in mastering my figure painting skills.

spacer.png

Rifle strap made from Tamiya tape.

spacer.png

Moving on, all the stowage has been added with the exception of some tanker helmets that I want to hang off the stowage baskets using more Tamiya tape for their straps. The spare shovel is from Bronco's accessory set with, wait for it!, more Tamiya tape straps.

spacer.png

I need to make a decision on the weathering. Some light chipping and dry brushing has been added but I think it needs some more but with restraint. The front of the vehicle where the crew would mount and dismount definitely needs grubbing up.

spacer.png

Some more details and clutter added to the base to stop it looking so sterile. More seaweed on the tide line. You know what it's made from and a sprinkling of bits from my wood pile for the general beach detritus.

spacer.png

Beer bottle from the Cromwell kit. Painted with a very thin brown wash. 

spacer.png

Some tree moss added to the seaweed to add some more texture.

spacer.png

And finally a shot of what's to come.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

• Like 12

Excellent work Nik. I can't find anything to pick holes in, it's all superb. Just one thing to add. Is it possible to paint some teeth on the figure. He looks as though he forgot to put his dentures in this morning. Apart from that, first class.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Excellent work Nik. I can't find anything to pick holes in, it's all superb. Just one thing to add. Is it possible to paint some teeth on the figure. He looks as though he forgot to put his dentures in this morning. Apart from that, first class.

John.

Thanks John. Yeah you're right about the teeth. I hadn't considered that, that was why his expression is a little, odd😆. Magnifying glass and paint brush will be out later and his teeth will be in! 

Edited by NIK122
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, NIK122 said:

Thanks John. Yeah you're right about the teeth. I hadn't considered that, that was why his expression is a little, odd😆. Magnifying glass and paint brush will be out later and his teeth will be in! 

Bingo! 

spacer.png

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Man! You put in the work! All the details, the scratchbuilding, the figure..... everything is just superb modeling!!!! 

Great stuff! 

Thanks! I've thoughrolly enjoyed this project. Definitely going to have a go at another AA conversion. Just days away from finishing this one for now😎

• Like 4