Heinkel 119 - my first vac form in 40 years

The was only one official shade of 63, but there was much confusion because of the initial use of civilian (pre-Third Reich) light greys in the mid-30s.  Add the fairly rapid fading of 63, so there is considerable excuse for this.  As, indeed, the common assumption of the use of 02 for exterior paints prewar is based on confusion between similar colours, especially in black and white photos.  Prior to the RLM choice of the DKH paint formulations and the 70-series camouflage schemes, 02 was only available for internal use.

• Like 1

If I were building it I would be inclined to go for a light/faded 63 though Dr Kurt Herbert's (DKH) L 40/52 is possible but not easy to get I suspect - I see Jamie at Colourcoats is listing his as "discontinuing". Certainly not the fresh/dark Colourcoats 63 as I used on my Do-17 earlier this year.

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

52-AE37-AD-6-AFB-4-E1-F-ACED-D84-B92-ED6I was planning on finishing the build either as V7 or V8 the two machines sold to Japan. But I can find virtually no information on the markings of colours. So I’m leaning towards V3, and as you can see I’ve already done the artwork for the decals and scaled the drawings to make some floats…

• Like 3

This one in a speculative Japanese colours and markings scheme would be good but if you're doing it as the float equipped version that's another order of magnitude cooler again.

• Thanks 1

Punch list time.

1. finish the float bucks

2. mold the floats

3. print off decals

4. make the struts

5. cover over the wheel wells

6. attach struts

7. finish the rest gunners position

8. final touchup

9. decals on

And that I think is it

4725-CEF9-5619-46-C0-A078-3-F574705-DF78After a bit of trimming. As the plastic I used was fairly thin I’ve filled them with plastic wood so once it has dried I can sand the halves flat and but join them together.

DAE71-A1-F-2-A39-4-B56-B255-BF640-E13311The read or the struts added.

4-F50-B017-F014-42-BE-9-B5-B-1-C97-A0441
Couldn’t resist dry fitting the floats. Thankfully it sits correctly.

• Like 6

Looking good Marklo.

Plastic wood - that takes me back to the 1960's when it was the only "filler" I had available to me for modelling - used it on my Ki-100, Avro Manchester, Bristol Beaufighter Mk II and HP Halifax Mk I/II conversions together with balsa wood and it worked pretty well. Later I did consider using Plastic Padding which was a sort of forerunner to Milliput, but then got hold of some Humbrol filler.

Pete

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Plastic wood

It’s cheap and it dries quickly so it has a place in the bench. My favourite filler is squadron green stuff but you can’t get that anymore, Tamiya putty comes fairly close.

F34-EA8-FA-90-CC-44-EB-B67-B-CA7-EA4-DDCAfter a bit more touching up. I’m seeing shiny in the photos so I’ve painted the floats silver. Just needs a prop, the ladders, some rudders on the floats, the underwing decals and the rear canopy fitted and we’re done.

• Like 3

CBF1-FEF4-94-FA-4687-B5-CE-2-D316-C095-FThat’s the ladders, rudders and spinner fitted. Just the prop blades and underwing lettering and it’s finished….

I must admit I think it’s nuts to have designed such a sleek aircraft and then go and hang the floats and ladders on it.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

Not the slickest and aerodynamic of accoutrements to hang off such an otherwise sleek design but there was plenty other similar machines flying with them at the time and it was certainly in fashion. Almost there Marklo :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1