Heinkel 119 - my first vac form in 40 years

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

It’s the nose that’s troubling me

Unfortunately, on the Planet Models resin kit the clear part is split in half too. Right through a pane. Considering there are no undercuts, they could have vacformed the glazing as a single piece <_<

Cheers

Markus

1 minute ago, Shorty84 said:

they could have vacformed the glazing as a single piece <_<

Mine is two pieces vertical split and made out of a very hard brittle clear plastic. So far I’ve roughly cut it out and razorsawed it into the two pieces and it seems to be holding up ok. Worst case scenario I’ll have to scratch one. Time will tell. :) 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hopefully you can get it sorted soon

Although the Dolphin is my current main priority, the 119, is getting the attention so I’d say I’ll have the cockpit at least on the bench this week if not done :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Unfortunately, on the Planet Models resin kit the clear part is split in half too. Right through a pane. Considering there are no undercuts, they could have vacformed the glazing as a single piece <_<

Cheers

Markus

3 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Mine is two pieces vertical split and made out of a very hard brittle clear plastic. So far I’ve roughly cut it out and razorsawed it into the two pieces and it seems to be holding up ok. Worst case scenario I’ll have to scratch one. Time will tell. :) 

Im gonna come out of left field here and suggest something ? Can you find a clear smooth plastic drinks bottle, water bottle, or similar thats roughly the correct diameter and length ? If yes cut it to shape and mask paint the frames. When you cut off the neck of said bottle you can trim it to the diameter of the prop spinner ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Can you find a clear smooth plastic drinks bottle, water bottle, or similar thats roughly the correct diameter and length ?

Certainly the right diameter. I have a vanilla extract bottle that would do the job. But the canopy is elliptical along its axis. At a pinch I could probably cut panels and frame them with molded styrene.Plenty of options, I’ll figure it out  one way or another.

I think I’ll attempt to use the kit parts first. If that fails then a homemade canopy with strip framing would be the next option. I could probably vac one in a single piece.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

4-C117-AC1-E7-D6-4-B41-93-F6-21211-E1-ADDecided to have a go at plan A the kit canopy, here it is after a bit of trimming and assembly and fouled up ready for painting, just need to cut the frame lines. And tbh it isn’t all that bad so I’ll use it for now and if I’m not happy with it got for plans B :) 

• Like 5

A suggestion of cockpit detail should be enough given how much framing surrounds it and far better than wasting hours on something that will never be seen again :nerd:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

584-FC3-BE-7-E76-4539-AE91-03-B510-BC72-I got tired of messing around with the wheel wells so I decided I’d mold done inserts instead.

F22-C31-FD-AFD8-4-DA1-9-A8-F-A31-EDAE1-FFitted with a little (ahem) milliput in the gaps. I vevslso put a thin skim of milliput over the centre section as it was so thin it kept cracking.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Really starting to take shape now. Looking forward to color on this. 

Er it’ll probably be grey again :) actually I wanted to do it as one of the two Japanese aircraft but can’t find any info on the colours. You do see them in greed with grey undersurfaces and yellow leading edges but afaik this is a what if scheme. Most likely they would have been silbergrau or rlm 02 with Hinnomaru applied in place of the balkenkruez and no tail markings.

• Like 1

Prewar 02 was only for interiors so 63 is more likely.  It is very close to 02 but with a greenish touch when new.  It changes to a light grey close to L40/52 Hellgrau pretty quickly as it weathers.  Heinkel used this or one of the similar light greys for their He.70 and other types in this period, but the Luftwaffe preferred 63 to the civilian colours.  The modern Silbergrau appears too dark for these hues.

• Thanks 1