Two SEAC questions

Spitfires Forever

Hello

I have two questions regarding aircraft in the SEAC. Question #1 what is the width of the white theater identification bands and how would that translate to 1/48 in mm? #2 is there a solid consensus on camouflage for the theater regarding the color schemes used? I have a Spit Mk XIV that I would like to paint in the TSL eg. Dark earth, dark green and MSG undersides but cannot find a solid consensus on whether the Mk XIV we're in those previously mentioned colors or the green, ocean grey and MSG undersides. We're the aircraft sent over in the day fighter scheme then repainted at the MU's in the TSL colors? The model companies and many reference books confuse the issue constantly so I'm just trying to end the confusion.

Cheers

The wing bands (upper/lower) were 28" or 14.8mm, and the tail bands were 18" or 9.5mm. As far as the camouflage goes, both were used - many in the Day Fighter Scheme with the roundel areas overpainted. Here's a lovely recent example by @mark.au:

In an informal group build, I chose the DE/DG over MSG option:

Hope this helps - good luck with your build!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

As a rule of thumb but not, I think, invariably, SEAC fighter aircraft with Black serials are in the Day Fighter Scheme, those with the serial in White have been repainted into Temperate Land Scheme. 

Not invariably, as you correctly point out, NH909 being a good example - though I think it wasn’t actually white they used on that particular airframe.

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

The wing bands (upper/lower) were 28" or 14.8mm, and the tail bands were 18" or 9.5mm. As far as the camouflage goes, both were used - many in the Day Fighter Scheme with the roundel areas overpainted. Here's a lovely recent example by @mark.au:

In an informal group build, I chose the DE/DG over MSG option:

Hope this helps - good luck with your build!

Cheers,

Roger

What fun it was Roger!  And still is, with three or four still to come over the line.

• Like 1