Fokker F.XI, scratch, scale 1/48

JohnHaa

Dear Modellers,

Here I like to present you my recent Fokker model. I build it in scratch, scale : 1/48.

A bit of history : only 3 planes were build, two were sold to Malert in Hungry.

The prototype was bought by Alpar in Switzerland.

The F.XI still exists and can be seen in the Ansett Terminal of Sydney Airport.

For the complete story have a look here:

https://www.fokker-history.com/en-gb/f-xi

How I build this model, please have a look at this WIP , complete with a major mishap....:-)

https://modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=54286&sid=9e49432014515ad85ddb2d19d6fd0c28

I hope you like the pictures !

Greetings,

JohnHaa

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, JohnHaa said:

The F.XI still exists and can be seen in the Ansett Terminal of Sydney Airport.

I'm not so sure about that - Ansett went bankrupt about 20 years ago and I don't recall seeing the aeroplane in the terminal anywhere. I've read it was moved to a museum in Victoria (maybe the Ansett Museum in Hamilton?

A very nice job on the model - I wish I had your skills!

• Like 1

Wow! That's lovely work. And I've seen the real thing disguised as VH-UTO. Scuse what follows as long-windedness...

The F.XI still exists and can be seen in the Ansett Terminal of Sydney Airport

Well @JohnHaa, VH-UTO used to hang from the ceiling of the Ansett now T2 Terminal at Sydney's Mascot Airport. Before that, it was displayed at the Ansett domestic terminal at Tullamarine Airport, Melbourne, where I last saw it in the early 1980s (I think). Ansett sold the Sydney terminal in 2002 on the breakup of the company. Presumably, that's when VH-UTO was removed. Correct @Bell209. It is now located at Sir Reginald Ansett Transport Museum, Hamilton, in the Western District of Victoria. 

This surviving Fokker XI, registered HB-ALO in 1935, was recovered from a playground in Graz, Austria. Shipped to Australia in 1974, it was restored as a replica of Ansett's first aircraft, Fokker Universal VH-UTO, which was lost in a fire. So it's now a bit of a FrankenFokker. Could be worse!

Thanks to all for your kind comments ! 

I was glad that enjoyed the model.

Maginot;  thank you for your update of the plane's whereabouts.  Let us be grateful, that this Fokker still exists !  

B.t.w. a newly-built Fokker recently made his maiden-flight...🙂 !

JohnHaa

Edited by JohnHaa
type error

12 hours ago, JohnHaa said:

Let us be grateful, that this Fokker still exists !  

100%! Way too many aircraft have disappeared from history - even some that were produced in their thousands

Hi John,

That's another superb result. Your Modelbrouwers build log is very interesting and informative (even with my very poor Dutch!), so thanks for including that link. It has given me a few ideas to consider for a future scratchbuilding project that I'm considering, especially the one-piece wooden wing covered in aluminium foil.

Jon

Dear Modellers,

Thanks again for your kind comments !

And Jon, I always have great pleasure to show other modellers, my tips and tricks.

Yes, I know;  dutch language is not easy ....😄 but I have good experiences with DeepL.com. That makes life a lot easier.

For your information here's another Wip with more facts etc.

https://modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47732

Greetings,

JohnHaa