Ukrainian MiG 29's

Tail-Dragon

I have both the Academy 1/48 MiG 29, and the MiG 29UB in my stash. I would like to build them (if possible) as current Ukrainian Air Force MiGs. 

I know that there are newer, better kits out there, but I can't afford to pursue them at this time and would like to use what I have.

What mods would I need to achieve reasonable accuracy, and what aftermarket is recommended? (I have the Foxbot UB decals and mask set on order)

Also, what would be the appropriate loadout?

Thanks,

Colin

I think you are quite out of luck on the single seater b/c if I remember right Academy MiG-29 suppose to be 9-12, however Ukraine had 9-13s and there is no easy way to correct it: 9-12 has the spine that is quite in line with the canopy where 9-13 have a so called "hump" (not as prominent and huge as SMT, but it is still there). 

1024px-Polish_Air_Force_MiG-29_take_off_

(Old picture but shows that even old Academy kit that was dedicated to this bird had the issue)

Ukrainian_Air_Force_sending_MiG-29_of_it 

• Like 1

The UB is perfect, you can start right away. And there still areno better kits out there  😞 

I'd at least recommend New resin exhausts  do not use the Academy weapons  if you care for shape 😉 

single seaters: as above, 

it is not known if Ukraine currently uses any A / 9.12 models. They did not before the war but certainly had some in store. Also Slovakia might pass some on, or Poland, or...

3 hours ago, Doom3r said:

I think you are quite out of luck on the single seater b/c if I remember right Academy MiG-29 suppose to be 9-12, however Ukraine had 9-13s and there is no easy way to correct it: 9-12 has the spine that is quite in line with the canopy where 9-13 have a so called "hump" (not as prominent and huge as SMT, but it is still there). 

I've found some good 5 views of a 9-13 (labelled Fulcrum S) in the 4+ book, with cross sections, so I'm considering modifying the hump, would there be any other mods I should look at?

Edited by Tail-Dragon

I am not sure about modern Ukrainian MiG-29s but before 2010 at least the ones that were based close to the town where I grew up were stock 9-13. From the recent videos it looks like they installed some instruments in the cockpit. Not sure if there are more. Weapons in the Academy kit are remotely looking like weapons but if I remember right are wrong size. Maybe you can get a leftover missiles from other kits (Academy Su-27 also has wrong size weapons) or go all in and install HARM 😜 Not sure about the pylon for that one though.

When (and if) you are going to be converting 9-12 to 9-13 you would also need to change slightly the wingtips. 

HARM armed MiG-29: 

Edited by Doom3r
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

I've found some good 5 views of a 9-13 (labelled Fulcrum S) in the 4+ book, with cross sections, so I'm considering modifying the hump, would there be any other mods I should look at?

Neomega resin had a conversion for the 9.13. Maybe it tells you what is needed!

Spine and wingtip I think is all modelling wise!

Sigh  ...  when I started to add up the cost of a aftermarket cockpit, exhaust, weapons, masks and decals, I realized there was only one logical course of action.  I ordered a GWH MiG-29 9.13 "Ghost of Kiev" kit.

(their spelling, not mine)

I did try to resist, I really did!  (as I practice for when SWMBO finds out!)

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Sigh  ...  when I started to add up the cost of a aftermarket cockpit, exhaust, weapons, masks and decals, I realized there was only one logical course of action.  I ordered a GWH MiG-29 9.13 "Ghost of Kiev" kit.

(their spelling, not mine)

I did try to resist, I really did!  (as I practice for when SWMBO finds out!)

Good choice!!

You will be much more happy this way!

:thumbsup: 🇺🇦

I just saw the GWH facebook page with the announcement of this kit... It looks like they are having only decal option for the airshow bird from about a 10 years ago (#57 with the trident on the back) :facepalm: So to portray a "normal" MiG-29 either different masks/decals required or at least pixelated camo needs to be painted instead of trident... What a bummer b/c looks like kits are just hitting US and I was preparing to get one... Now trying to figure out what to do with that...

Ukrainian-Air-Force-MiG-29.png

• Like 1

On 27/09/2022 at 06:44, Doom3r said:

I just saw the GWH facebook page with the announcement of this kit... It looks like they are having only decal option for the airshow bird from about a 10 years ago (#57 with the trident on the back) :facepalm: So to portray a "normal" MiG-29 either different masks/decals required or at least pixelated camo needs to be painted instead of trident... What a bummer b/c looks like kits are just hitting US and I was preparing to get one... Now trying to figure out what to do with that...

Potentially a requirement for them being allowed to release it, an airshow scheme, nothing 'war' like. Their Ukrainian Flanker release seemed to be on and off for a while and then finally on but only for export not for sale in China. I received my a Flanker a few weeks ago and was surprised to see there were no weapons in the kit at all. The instructions dont even show where to place the pylons although the pylons are included. Now this may have been for financial reasons but I suspect it was negotiated to allow the release to go ahead.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 9/27/2022 at 7:44 AM, Doom3r said:

Ukrainian-Air-Force-MiG-29.png

Added to this, I read (on here?) each of the 'digital' camo schemes is said to be unique......😳

On 9/27/2022 at 12:44 AM, Doom3r said:

I didn't realize that the trident one was a decade old airshow aircraft!  I went with this kit to avoid having to mask the digital camo!  RATS!

What to do, now?

On 9/29/2022 at 10:24 AM, Muzz said:

Potentially a requirement for them being allowed to release it, an airshow scheme, nothing 'war' like. Their Ukrainian Flanker release seemed to be on and off for a while and then finally on but only for export not for sale in China. I received my a Flanker a few weeks ago and was surprised to see there were no weapons in the kit at all. The instructions dont even show where to place the pylons although the pylons are included. Now this may have been for financial reasons but I suspect it was negotiated to allow the release to go ahead.

I'm going to be p@#*ed if there are no weapons in the MiG-29, especially at the cost of the kit!

Well, as far as I know there is no real info on if this all was one plane, multiple, one specific or just a legend at this point as a symbol you can use that decal or you can mask small piece that the is there where trident is. Also Ukraine is known to use MiG-29 in the color scheme of Ukrainian Falcons at the beginning of war in Donbass in 2014 (cannot find this video now) as well as I've heard that one of Ukrainian Falcons was recently repaired and might be used for the service so you can get away with assuming that #57 was used for that operation.

It would be really shame if there are no weapons there. I did not realize it could be such ill intent and was assuming it is more of typical for Chinese manufacturers bad color scheme research (the worst example for me so far was the early packaging of the Trumpeter 1/144 Tu-95MS where instead of Russian flag they had basically a hybrid of Russian and Ukrainian: from top to bottom white/blue/yellow... They corrected that in later boxings but I had the early one 🙄). Please let us know what is actually there when you get the kit. 

Edited by Doom3r

On 9/30/2022 at 11:15 PM, Doom3r said:

It would be really shame if there are no weapons there. I did not realize it could be such ill intent and was assuming it is more of typical for Chinese manufacturers bad color scheme research (the worst example for me so far was the early packaging of the Trumpeter 1/144 Tu-95MS where instead of Russian flag they had basically a hybrid of Russian and Ukrainian: from top to bottom white/blue/yellow... They corrected that in later boxings but I had the early one 🙄). Please let us know what is actually there when you get the kit. 

My MiG arrived this morning, and it is an absolutely stunning kit!  Full weapons and pylons (beautifully molded - kits in themselves), 5 separate decal sheets, photoetch, and brilliant, bomb proof packaging - individual boxings inside the main box for the delicate parts!  I couldn't be more impressed, well done Great Wall!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tail-Dragon said:

My MiG arrived this morning, and it is an absolutely stunning kit!  Full weapons and pylons (beautifully molded - kits in themselves), 5 separate decal sheets, photoetch, and brilliant, bomb proof packaging - individual boxings inside the main box for the delicate parts!  I couldn't be more impressed, well done Great Wall!

Just curios what are the options there? Is it mentioned earlier #57 or there are more?

23 minutes ago, Doom3r said:

Just curios what are the options there? Is it mentioned earlier #57 or there are more?

While there are only markings for #57, they are offered in 2 separate versions, blue on white and yellow on white for the bort number, and 2 different versions of the crest ...

spacer.png

which, if either, is correct is up to your own research, I guess.

My own feeling is that while the legend of 'The Ghost of Kiev' is similar to the legendary "Col. Tomb" of the NVAF, (a PR conglomeration of many pilots), this aircraft did exist, and if it survived, would probably have been used operationally, without a repaint (it was/is already in a digital scheme).

Hopefully, in a future, more peaceful time, we will know more ...

• Thanks 1

Oh, I couldn't stop myself, I've ordered the Karaya Mig-29UB cockpit, the Foxbot 29UB decals and mask set, and the Eduards exhaust and wheels to dress up my Academy Mig-29UB.  I might do a double build along with the GWH 9-13 kit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2022 at 5:59 PM, Tail-Dragon said:

While there are only markings for #57, they are offered in 2 separate versions, blue on white and yellow on white for the bort number, and 2 different versions of the crest ...

spacer.png

which, if either, is correct is up to your own research, I guess.

My own feeling is that while the legend of 'The Ghost of Kiev' is similar to the legendary "Col. Tomb" of the NVAF, (a PR conglomeration of many pilots), this aircraft did exist, and if it survived, would probably have been used operationally, without a repaint (it was/is already in a digital scheme).

Hopefully, in a future, more peaceful time, we will know more ...

Are they the correct markings for the MiG-29 that was downed by a drone on 12th October 2022?

Best of luck on your build.  I have always loved the look of the MiG-29, and built the original Hasegawa 1/72 kit back in the 1980's.  A rich guy in my hometown in Illinois, USA, bought a couple of MiG-29s and they sat at the hometown airport for many years.  When I visited once, I went out and took a bunch of pictures of the on the ramp in the early 2000s.  There's a you tube video of a flight of at least one of them.  I never met the guy so don't know the story of how he got them, or where they are now.  Still, cool jets.

20 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Are they the correct markings for the MiG-29 that was downed by a drone on 12th October 2022?

If you are talking about this guy https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/295271 then no. The one on the link looks like to be one of reactivated Ukrainian Falcons which were reactivated/painted (?) earlier this year https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-paints-refurbished-frontline-mig-29-in-high-visibility-scheme

Edited by Doom3r

On 11/16/2022 at 2:47 PM, Doom3r said:

If you are talking about this guy https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/295271 then no. The one on the link looks like to be one of reactivated Ukrainian Falcons which were reactivated/painted (?) earlier this year https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-paints-refurbished-frontline-mig-29-in-high-visibility-scheme

Yes thats the one.