Skoda 42cm M.1917 Heavy Siege Howitzer

NIK122

Good evening! So here it is, the finished article. The Skoda 42cm M.1917 Heavy siege howitzer. Realized during WW1 and mothballed until WW2. There were six examples of this weapon around during WW2 but none exist today. They were used in the siege of Sevastopol and Leningrad until the positions were overrun. 

Aside from the issue of painting this model if fully assembled, covered in the build blog, I highly recommend this kit, especially if you are looking for something a little different. I haven't one in my stash but I'd like to build the Skoda 30.5 M1916 by Takom now if I can get hold of one.

Below are some shots that I've taken in my jury rigged photo set up! I've really got to get a photo booth. Any recommendations welcome.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

• Like 56
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for all the great comments. They are all very much appreciated. I have to ask but what do you think of the photography? I can't quite work out if the focus is as good as it could be. My eyes need upgrading! I've no problem growing old disgracefully but the old eyesight is a frustration! I did start taking pictures with a tripod and timer but the battery ran out on my camera so I ended up posting shots from my clever phone 🙄

An excellent model painted and weathered to perfection displayed in a very effective diorama setting - and I can't see anything wrong with your photography.

If I could make one suggestion: could you add a figure or a couple of pieces of personal kit or equipment such as a crate or jerry can just to help illustrate the size of the howitzer? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Richard E said:

An excellent model painted and weathered to perfection displayed in a very effective diorama setting - and I can't see anything wrong with your photography.

If I could make one suggestion: could you add a figure or a couple of pieces of personal kit or equipment such as a crate or jerry can just to help illustrate the size of the howitzer? 

Your suggestion is absolutely right. I've 

built five german artillery figures which have been whittled down to three. I've started painting them but it's not a strength of mine so whether they are ever included remains to be seen. I find blending acrylic paint and applying glazes incredibly difficult. I've started painting their faces with oils with some reasonable results but haven't taken the plunge with mixing field grey with oils. I will of course post some shots if I do. 

Edited by NIK122
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

The Takom Skoda 30.5 is available on Ebay. Mine arrived a couple weeks ago from China. There appear to be several sources.  Here is one example. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295412323857?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&srsltid=AfAwrE40fqAuYfsKDDrk3xRAQ-mXZruXXMccsmHL1cxP1ObRhe6XsFh6kdU

Sorry this post is seven months late but I am new here.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Brilliantly finished kit and base of a very unusual subject.

Great detailing and weathering.

Photo's are really good and show your work off well. 👏 

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...