Unknown person/s trying to access my account.

T-21

Had a security email somebody has tried to access my Britmodeller account three times from the USA.I have had to change my password. Just a warning to other's to be wary.

Edited by T-21
addition
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• T-21 changed the title to Unknown person/s trying to access my account.

I have had some emails of the same. Not from Britmodeller but from sources such as my credit card accounts. I did however I contacted the card company and no such email was sent. So I mouse over the name and email address of the sender and found it was a spam generated email. I don't respond to the email but make contact via phone or a known company email. Just my thoughts on this.

All The Best.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 5

19 hours ago, T-21 said:

Had a security email somebody has tried to access my Britmodeller account three times from the USA.I have had to change my password. Just a warning to other's to be wary.

Im not aware of anything in the forum software designed to alert you to a log in?

@Mike any ideas on this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Julien said:

@Mike any ideas on this?

As far as I'm aware, there's no such mechanism.  We can tell if it's happened from the logs though, so let me wander off, get distracted for a bit, then remember what I'm doing and check your account :)

• Like 1

@T-21 Yep, that happened.  :blink: Do me a favour and drop me a PM, I'll give you my email address and if you could forward the email, I'd be grateful. :yes:

The IP address is somewhere in Kansas, which I suspect is a VPN run by Avast, which has confusing credentials in the US and UK :hmmm:

You did the right thing changing your password, but it's clear they didn't have a clue what they were doing, or were using a password gleaned from a data breach.  You might want to check if any of your passwords have been put out these after hacks.  What on earth they'd gain from logging in as you though is beyond me.  Get you into trouble by calling me names maybe? :shrug:

• Thanks 1

Classical phishing.

If the email has a link - DON'T use it.

(Almost always) there's nothing wrong with your accounts; the idea is to get you to change your password in a manner calculated to deliver your new password to the phisher.

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 4