43 Sqn Phantom XV585/P Black Radome

billyharry2000

There's also the following (as well as XV575)

XV587 'AG' (43 SQN) with a dark nose (wouldn't say black, close to a dark brown probably very heavily faded replacement). Interestingly it also have a replacement front to one of the wing tanks (finished in white) - very interesting to look at

XV570 'BN' 111SQN Similar to above (minus the tanks, they were boringly normal)

XV585 'P' 43 SQN - Nice black dome

Also some FGR.2's, such as XV402 'C' of 56SQN, XV426 'P' of 56 SQN, plus others - I've not seen a Camouflaged one with a Grey dome yet (now that would make an interesting model if they did exist)

If you're interested in any of the above drop me a PM (they are all from slides or negatives I have collected over the years)

Buz

Edited by Buz

7 minutes ago, Buz said:

Also some FGR.2's, such as XV402 'C' of 56SQN, XV426 'P' of 56 SQN, plus others - I've not seen a Camouflaged one with a Grey dome yet (now that would make an interesting model if they did 

Buz

XV498/R, 92 Squadron, Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey/Light Aircraft Grey with Barley/Camouflage Grey radome.

2 hours ago, Buz said:

I've not seen a Camouflaged one with a Grey dome yet (now that would make an interesting model if they did exist)

Also XV433 (D) of 19 Sqn and XV467 (Q) of 92 Sqn on page 78 of the 1979-1992 volume of British Phantoms by Patrick Martin published by Double Ugly.

There are also a few more photos of different from above Grey schemed aircraft with Black/Brown radomes in this volume.

2 hours ago, Buz said:

I've not seen a Camouflaged one with a Grey dome yet (now that would make an interesting model if they did exist)

Here's one, XV490:

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/156408/M/UK-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-Phantom-FGR2-F-4M/XV490/

And XV498:

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/44530/M/UK-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-Phantom-FGR2-F-4M/XV498/

And XT911:

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/44529/M/UK-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-Phantom-FGR2-F-4M/XT911/

Edited by Creepy Pete
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2022 at 4:55 PM, Buz said:

There's also the following (as well as XV575)

XV587 'AG' (43 SQN) with a dark nose (wouldn't say black, close to a dark brown probably very heavily faded replacement). Interestingly it also have a replacement front to one of the wing tanks (finished in white) - very interesting to look at

XV570 'BN' 111SQN Similar to above (minus the tanks, they were boringly normal)

Buz

I believe the radomes on these two were bare composite (most probably fibreglass with maybe some aramid, better known as Kevlar, plies). Along with the resin these materials can result in a dark brown appearance. Here's three pictures I took at the Leuchars BoB Day airshows :

XV587/ AG landing after a 4 Ship display in September 1987:

XV587_AG_SEP_1987wm

XV587 also took part in 1988's show displaying with XV572/ AN and a 55Sqn Victor K2 demonstrating air to air refuelling. XV587 was a little less pristine then with the radome still unpainted but showing signs of fading; part of the checks on the fin had peeled off leaving just a black base. The starboard tank had a white forward section and the 600 gallon centre tank was also overall white:

XV587_AG_LEU_SEP_1988

XV570/ BN departing on a QRA scramble direct from the 'Q' Shed during 1987's show:

XV570_BN_LEU_SEP_87wm

There were other FG.1 and FGR.2 aircraft that also had radomes with a distinct brownish tint late in service, probably from the base material showing through the grey paint.

HTH,

Jonathan

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Like the 1987 images.

Recall that the 'Q' activity was actually genuine that year with one aircraft returning that had gone off before the gates opened in the morning and another departing later in the day , from memory think that it was announced that an Il-38 'May' had been at least one of the culprits.

With regard to radomes being changed around. 56 painted a radome with a VF-111 sharkmouth on the FGR.2 displayed at Greenham for the Phantom Meet in 1983. Later that year (possibly '84) the same radome was on display at Finningley but on a different machine.

Two negatives I own.  A line up at RAF Conningsby 14/08/96 consists of nearest XV497 XV426 XT905 . The lower photo being XV497 taken from the other side.

spacer.png

The nose cone is a very dark grey, extra dark sea grey or darker.

spacer.png

😉

• Like 3