Someone educate me - Tamiya or Aoshima?

speedy

Hi folks, I’m looking at doing a motorcycle and it’s completely left field for me. Dangerously searching 1/6 or 1/12 scale it’s coming up with the 2 manufacturers. Thoughts on both makes please for those in the know.

Hi Speedy 

Tamiya kits are normally good kits, easy to build and good details  and Tamiya is offering 1/6 and 1/12 scaled  models.

I got an Aoshima Kawasaki z750 in my stash, but did not started it yet. But this kit include fine looking parts,  several option parts but no chrome parts. 

Here on the board you should find some threaths about the Aoshima Suzuki GT380, and if I remember right also about a Kawasaki 2-stroker and a Honda CB400

Marco F 

• Like 1

Not sure about bikes as that's not my field, but car wise, Tamiya has the upper hand everytime 😃

Aircraft were the same as well when I used to build those,  I've never built a bad Tamiya kit to be honest 

Ian 

• Like 1

Again I can't comment on bikes, but the best advice I can give if your chosen subject is made by both Aoshima and Tamiya is to do some research and see which appears to have the best reception. While I would say Tamiya are usually of pretty consistently high standard, the best kit I've built to date is from Aoshima (their Countach in case you're wondering). So I don't think there is a cut and dried answer to "Which is better, Tamiya or Aoshima?".

• Like 3

I would agree that Tamiya are usually the better kits. However, Aoshima do models of more 'mundane' bikes. for example the Honda CB400 four on mk 1 & mk 2 versions. The only major difference that I can see is the rear foot-pegs are attached to the swing-arm on the mk 1, and to the frame on the mk 2. I had a bright yellow CB400 mk 2, and I remember the reviews of the time pointing this out. Makes the ride for the passenger a bit more comfortable.

I have a partially built Aoshima Suzuki GS400 twin which has, so far, gone together well.

It's a pity that neither do much, if any in the classic brit/US range of bikes. I wish there was a 1/12 scale early 70's Triumph Bonneville, for example.

Also, there are  a few Fujimi 1/12 scale bike kits, but I have heard that they are a bit more simplistic than the Aoshima and Tamiya kits.

Cheers,

Alan.