Avro Vulcan B.2

Lord Riot

Having been busy rehearsing then performing in a play with my local theatre group, and a couple of holidays in the Cotswolds and London, I’ve finally got some time now to get back to the modelling bench.

Obviously this is a familiar kit by now, but it’s my first attempt to build the new tool Airfix Vulcan. 

F2110267-C8-B2-4-C33-893-E-2-BF5-F1380-D

I love the classic white scheme, and sorely tempted to do that, but I built my old Vulcan as a white one and really like the other option in the kit too, so I’ll be building her in this early camo scheme with white undersides.

B5-FA2867-7067-4833-B357-D46-B228-E516-F

I’ll be building pretty much oob, except no Blue Steel, as I hate nuclear weapons. 

Also, I always like to see squadron markings, and after some research it seems that Vulcans in this scheme did start to display individual unit markings in the early 70s, before the two-tone roundels. These are my references for this build.

8-E895-B74-DA57-4-F09-AC95-7-FA8-ED7-E46

If I can find a photo of XM594 in this scheme with unit badge I’ll stick with that one, otherwise I’ve a few alternatives:

E298-D280-7-E5-A-4790-B212-FB38-C2634-A1

B7-C0-E209-D72-E-4-C36-AD0-E-CF81368-B23

I guess I’ll need to decide which airframe fairly soon as it’ll determine which jetpipes I use.

Any advice and info greatly appreciated throughout the build!

• Like 7

• Lord Riot changed the title to Avro Vulcan B.2

After a bit more searching, I think I’ve found my subject; camo with type D roundels and white undersides, and squadron badge on the fin, early 1970s.

TFR thimble and refuelling probe but still no ECM bar on the tailfin: XL444, number 617 Sqn.

4-D2389-BC-D32-B-4-B7-E-B211-92715-C33-C

C6-E352-CA-55-CC-4069-BDB0-379-E754-CD24

I need to check whether the kit includes the right 201 jetpipes, however.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Winded Penguin said:

That'll be a nice scheme. Appears almost glossy finish in the above picture?

It does look glossy in that photo you’re right. I’ve seen others where it’s a bit more satin. Not sure whether to go full gloss spray or satin now!

• Haha 1

Watching with interest. I have a City of Lincoln badge cut from the tail of ‘trouble 4’ at the end of her life on the Waddington wing. Presented to me when I left Waddington in ‘82 signed by friends and colleagues and currently on my garage wall.

• Like 2

On 20/09/2022 at 12:28, Lord Riot said:

few alternatives:

E298-D280-7-E5-A-4790-B212-FB38-C2634-A1

If you need any other decals I'm happy to offer up some of my collection of Vulcan decals to trade for the 9 Sqn XL385 ones you have. I've misplaced the decals I was planning on using on my current WIP to do that scheme

• Like 1

On 21/09/2022 at 22:22, elanman said:

Watching with interest. I have a City of Lincoln badge cut from the tail of ‘trouble 4’ at the end of her life on the Waddington wing. Presented to me when I left Waddington in ‘82 signed by friends and colleagues and currently on my garage wall.

I didn't know any of trouble four survives! Nice to know. Heard plenty of stories about that Vulcan, and its nicknames

On 20/09/2022 at 20:21, Lord Riot said:

TFR thimble and refuelling probe but still no ECM bar on the tailfin: XL444, number 617 Sqn.

4-D2389-BC-D32-B-4-B7-E-B211-92715-C33-C

C6-E352-CA-55-CC-4069-BDB0-379-E754-CD24

I need to check whether the kit includes the right 201 jetpipes, however.

Rare photos of 444 in a serviceable state.... the kit does include 202 jetpipes which is what you want. 

How rivet counter-ish do you want to go with this build? I've got a good chunk of the research needed to model this airframe done. It's on my list of Vulcans to do as it's I've of the more notorious ones

• Like 2

Thanks @Adam Poultney, any advice will be very helpful. I’ve actually put this build on hold for now while I make the Vampire, but I’ll probably come back to it once that kit is done. Just needed a simpler build to get back into it before attempting this big beast!

Regarding accuracy, I certainly want to try and get it reasonably accurate for the period I’ll be modelling it (early 70s) - I want to do it with the squadron badge on but type D roundels as in the photos. Im guessing there’s a few bumps to file down under the wings? Not too fussed with the cockpit as it’s almost impossible to see in there, so I’ll just do that oob

Not decided whether to have the bomb bay open and empty or just closed up, probably the latter as it’s less painting! 

I want it right though as I’ve two more in the stash, one to do as a white one, and one to do as (probably) XM648 in wrap around camo. Then I just need one more to do in the late 70s camo scheme.

If you pm me your address I’ll post you the XL385/ 9 Sqn markings, no worries.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2022 at 10:09, Lord Riot said:

If you pm me your address I’ll post you the XL385/ 9 Sqn markings, no worries.

That would be much appreciated! If you ever need any of my spare decals, consider them yours!

On 23/09/2022 at 10:09, Lord Riot said:

Regarding accuracy, I certainly want to try and get it reasonably accurate for the period I’ll be modelling it (early 70s) - I want to do it with the squadron badge on but type D roundels as in the photos. Im guessing there’s a few bumps to file down under the wings? Not too fussed with the cockpit as it’s almost impossible to see in there, so I’ll just do that oob

Yes plenty of bumps to get rid of on this one. XL444 as with most XL Vulcans had no Skybolt hardpoints, so they all need to be gotten rid of. As a 202 Vulcan you'll also want to get rid of the anti icing blisters (check my thread if you don't know where these are). No X Band Jammer under the tail, so no need to worry about if you use that. Looks like it still has Red Steer Mk1 fitted in the pictures so no need to chop off the tailcone tip and use the alternate part either. Aerials appear to be the later type. You should use both ECM plates as Trouble Four was one of the Blue Steel Vulcans fitted with the second one. Take note of the camouflage pattern around the back end of the radome panel. No green is painted over it as with almost all Vulcans of that era, but this is one of the ones where the radome cover was removed or masked when the green was applied resulting in a distinctive hard, squared edge.

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Adam Poultney, that’s really good info! I’ll certainly be applying it when I start the build. I remember your Vulcan ‘rivet counting’ thread so that’ll be a good point of reference for some of the lumps and bumps. Appreciate your input mate!

Interesting about the radome camo pattern, I hadn’t noticed that but it’s something I’ll need to mask correctly when it comes to spraying. 

I’ll get those decals in the post this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Back on it! There’s a lot of plastic in here …

E5-C8479-D-F3-A7-49-FD-816-F-607-B2-B8-A

Started on the cockpit exactly as in the instructions. I’ve made a start painting the interior parts and got the main cockpit fitted together. Not sure very much will be seen once it’s all sealed up!

49048-B5-A-35-A2-4-AF3-80-C6-D5875-D7-E3

D1-AB5913-B75-F-4058-AA8-D-A0-B37-E1-C0-

I might add a bit of detail to the rear crew consoles, unless you can’t see anything of that once it’s in? 

• Like 2

Just a rough bit of work busying up the rear crew consoles, a mix of posca pen and spare decals. I doubt any of it will be seen but I am going to have the crew door open so thought it best to add something just in case.

D19932-B6-25-CF-4-F1-D-A408-820-DDDC1-B8

• Like 3

The fit can be fouled by paint where it shouldn't be. Make sure to keep contact surfaces clear. Also you will want to significantly sand back the tabs under the seat else they won't sit right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most of the cockpit done, I’ll add the pilots’ seats nearer the end of the build, before I fit the canopy. 

1-F4557-DE-A421-4082-A7-B0-8-D46-B7-D999

Learning a lesson from the Vampire, I added over the recommended 40g noseweight, probably nearer 50g.

• Like 1

I bought kitsworld's 3D printed decals for my Vulcan cockpits. Can't speak as to the accuracy as I've not really checked, but given their sheet of markings I wouldn't expect them to be exactly right (and anyway, instruments in the back of Vulcans changed over time for different roles). They look good though and you won't really see them, especially the ones at the back. 

• Like 1

This is just me, but if i were building the kit with no intention of making the canopy removable, i'd probably splurge on a pair of nice resin ejection seats for the pilots and call it good. And given the size of the cockpit windows, even that would be overkill!

Money spent on resin wheels and (maybe) photoetched blade aerials, etc. would be a wiser investment.

The HP Victor might be a different story.....

• Like 2

Forward fuselage all buttoned up. I’ve added a thin strip of filler along the joins in case there was a tiny gap. For the period I’m modelling this Vulcan, 1970-73-ish, it looks like XL444 had the probe and TFR thimble on the nose.

9-EA5-C45-E-B637-478-B-BA87-736480-C507-

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

For the period I’m modelling this Vulcan, 1970-73-ish, it looks like XL444 had the probe and TFR thimble on the nose.

Spot on. Fleet modified to fit it c.1966-68, TFR installed on most airframes by early 70s.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, David H said:

The HP Victor might be a different story.....

You can see plenty in that kit's cockpit. It's detailed well enough as is but more detail won't hurt. 

Of course in my favourite scale, 1/144, I don't worry about cockpit internals. The canopy panels are painted in gloss black on my most recent Victor in that scale

• Like 1

I sprayed around the bomb aiming window before fitting it so it’s easier to mask when it comes to spraying the whole airframe.

5-A5-BB7-CE-71-E1-4-D73-B505-FD19-F0322-

Glued in place, with more filler needed. I’m surprised a new tool kit needs so much filler. Maybe it’s just my gluing skills! 

B3-B4-D909-6-C5-D-4-B85-9-ACD-4-A3-DD3-F

• Like 1

I’m going to display the bomb bay open, but without any bombs inside, so it needs some scratch built detail adding I think. First thing, make those holes look hollow and add some strips of wire. More to come.

33-E4-A3-FB-3144-42-B4-918-F-3-F5-FA0-DD

• Like 7