1/35 Scammell Pioneer SV2s

Phil1960

Hi All, I really love Scammell tractors, So huge! 1/35 market offers two choices about Scammell Pioneer SV2s: Thunder Models and IGB models. In your opinion which is the best in terms of accurate details and dimensions?

I notice that some SV2s had a different crane mounted on cargo bed, Any after market?

Many thanks in advance.

Ciao Filippo

• Like 1

Check out the link below for links to various kit reviews & builds the should help you decide whch is the best for you it also lists various after market items. beware of scale though the search was general.

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Reviews&q=Scammell+Pioneer

History, review & build

With regards to the two types of cranes its true the Pioneer did use two types however each type had  different designations the early type was designated SV1S or SV1T of which 43 were built most being left in Europe by the BEF. The later cranes were designated SV2S of which almost 2000 were built, the last withdrawn from active duty in 1980.

SV1S

SV2S

• Thanks 2

Hi Filippo. If you are looking for a good book on the subject try this one; Pioneer. The Scammell R100, SV1 & SV2, TRMU20 &TRMU30 in British Army Service, written by Pat Ware and published by Warehouse Publications. It's full of B&W and colour photos and 1/72nd scale drawings.

John.  

• Thanks 1

The original wisdom was that the Thunder version was "better" but it has become very hard to find and most people seem happy with the IBG offering.

Because of the limitations of the way the wheels are moulded both kits need after-market resin wheels to get the correct tread patterns.

Wildcats Models have several after-market parts for the Scammell including 2 types of wheel.  Other vendors are available, but I've used this guy many times and found him to be completely reliable.

https://wildcatsmodels.com/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&poscats=&search_query=scammel&submit_search=Search

The Thunder kit is hard to find in the UK but I believe you can get it direct from LZ Models in Eire.  They do their own replacement wheels and basket too.  But you may get stung for 20% import VAT and a £9 Royal Mail fee.  https://www.lzmodels.com/Thunder-Model-kits.html

• Thanks 1

Thank you friends! It a pity that wheels are wrong as they were to me one of the most lovely part of the kit.

Unfortunately Pat Ware book is no longer avalaible.

All the best

Ciao

Filippo