1/48 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.I/II/C/D Trop by HobbyBoss - Mk.I & IIC/Trop released

Homebee

5 hours ago, Phas3e said:

Cant say I saw that coming.

I'd be interested to see how they go with it.

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I await the wailing and gnashing of teeth over this choice of subject from some.

Hmm.... given the way Hobby Boss and Trumpeter work....  (apparently they are on different floors in the same factory)   they  tend to pool 'research'.... 

So, we have two options. Hobby Boss do a 72nd quick build, which is likely based on the Academy.   OK for a quick build.  Not great if scaled up...

Meanwhile Trumpeter do a family of 1/24th Hurricanes.  Legend has it the research was done outside house. 

And it's research is the make or break with them, never has garbage in - garbage out been so true.   

Believe it or not,  for main shapes it's stunning.  And it gets things often missed shape wise.     

They fumble some small details,     but the big calls were right, which given their track record is impressive.

My main compliant is the recessed rivets.... Hurricanes are part flush riveted (wing leading edge) and the rest mushroom head.  Less of a problem in 1/48th. 

The fabric was well done, which is always a make or break on Hurricane kits really, as sorting out problems in that area is a real PITA.  

I have been saying for years it's amazing that either company has not scaled down the 1/24th kit to other scales..... so if they do the shrink ray on the Trumpeter kit then it could be a real contender, as the new tool Airfix has some hard to fix glitches...  as have the Hasegawa kit that have recently been reboxed by Hobby 2000.

Interesting choice, given the forthcoming Arma Hobby kit, (a IIC) and the announcement Eduard want to do a family later..

be interesting to see how this one pans out..... ;) 

Edited by Troy Smith
comprehension....
  • Like 1

That is a surprise. Away from possibly dodgy research one thing is for sure that this will most likely be an easy kit to put together. 

Arma Hobbies new kit is still listed for release in October so although they’re different marks it will still be interesting to see how the two kits compare. 

James 

Intriguing. Despite what Hobby 2000 have recently done the Hasegawa kit has long been hard to find and there are those who dislike the assembly and wing root of the Airfix kit... I don't know much about the Italeri kit but the competition is not all perfect and an easy to build kit at the right price from Hobby Boss could sell.

Perhaps not a kit many of us were clamouring for but potentially quite a fun one which is bound to be well engineered.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Interesting choice, given the forthcoming Arma Hobby kit, (a IIC) and the announcement Eduard want to do a family later..

That Arma kit has been coming for ages... I'm starting wonder if it will ever eventuate  (Now I've posted this it will pop up tomorrow :D ) 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mahavelona said:

Despite what Hobby 2000 have recently done the Hasegawa kit has long been hard to find 

basically decent kit which stuff up the fabric... and sorting that out is a pain.    But  covers most of the marks as well.   Annoying kit in that it eliminates useful spares from the version specific boxing policy....  and some boxings are hard to find..   

and there are those who dislike the assembly and wing root of the Airfix kit...

basically decent,  for the casual builder I'd say the thick wing trailing edge (easy to fix)  but one piece ailerons, (not easy)   along with the tricky build engineering,  

the over large tyres are distracting once noticed...  bonus points for having all the bits in every boxing for the trop and Sea Hurricane though. 

I don't know much about the Italeri kit

full of errors, most small but there are a lot.... most obvious is an over large nose ring and weirdly shaped spinners in all the kits, and it usually sits oddly in build ups...   as well as being expensive....

but the competition is not all perfect and an easy to build kit at the right price from Hobby Boss could sell.

Perhaps not a kit many of us were clamouring for but potentially quite a fun one which is bound to be well engineered.

if it's a scale down of the 1/24th then it may well be one of those odd pleasant surprises.... and if  it gets bracketed pricewise with their Fw190D and me262 kits it will be a bargain.  

12 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Oh no, not ANOTHER Hurricane!

they done all the Spitfires 😜     Ok.... were still waiting for modern accurate early/mid Griffons...   

7 hours ago, Calum said:

That Arma kit has been coming for ages... I'm starting wonder if it will ever eventuate 

it's still coming.   I asked them recently.   

10 hours ago, dreamwriter said:

I just hope that it doesn't come out priced the same as their recent 1/48 La-11, which I haven't found at a reasonable price.

Discussion on here rated the Ark kit as being the more accurate kit. 

see here

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.I by HobbyBoss - released

While the paint instructions and decals have all the "research" we have come to know and love from them,   I eagerly await Hurricane models with yellow spinners and bands.... :banghead:   Still, not as if there are not plenty of Hurricane decals.   

Included masks are a neat touch,

And now the GOOD NEWS

you missed these on the scroll bar in the link...   not showing for me as not https,  @Homebee fancy rehosting....

I'm just doing this one

52514622605_02deba5707_b.jpg

And...  yes,  as best as can be seen from the CAD shot, it's a scale down of the 1/24th Trumpeter kit...   what a relief.

My only comment is regarding the fuselage fabric,  with a line between the doghouse and rear fuselage and possibly the side panels, which are features of the 1/24th kit, I just checked, ...and even to an obsessive, minor and easy fixes.

The CAD also do not show a mass of recessed rivets, my main complaint about the 1/24th kit...

these are the other CAD shots.. 

http://www.hobbyboss.com/Uploads/202211/637b3b0ac168f.jpg

http://www.hobbyboss.com/Uploads/202211/637b3b12a3a0d.jpg

http://www.hobbyboss.com/Uploads/202211/637b3b117650b.jpg

http://www.hobbyboss.com/Uploads/202211/637b3b0f08a57.jpg

http://www.hobbyboss.com/Uploads/202211/637b3b0dcf795.jpg

http://www.hobbyboss.com/Uploads/202211/637b3b1041629.jpg

None of these CAD shots want me to tear my eyes out,,.,,    they look very much like the 1/24th kit,.... I'm just amazed it as taken this long for it to be hit with the shrink ray...

Cheering a wet Monday lunchtime....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

The CAD actually looks pretty good although less detailed than the Airfix kit. I suspect the HobbyBoss kit will be an easier build. The only place I can find a price is at HLJ where it is selling for US$59; that’s double the price of the Airfix kit and it’s an awful lot for a WWII single engine fighter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The CAD actually looks pretty good although less detailed than the Airfix kit.

The CAD look like they don't have much detail.   I'd be surprised if the kit is that basic.  

We'll have to see how the kit looks...    

The only place I can find a price is at HLJ where it is selling for US$59; that’s double the price of the Airfix kit and it’s an awful lot for a WWII single engine fighter.

Yes...  again, early days.    Agreed $60 is a lot.     Have HLJ messed up and that's a quote for the 1/24th kit? 

A look at Hannants has things of a similar size at about 25 GBP,  my guess would  be about £30 to start with.   

My post was really about answering my initial reaction, are they using the 1/24th Trumpeter data.   The answer appears to be yes, and that bodes well.   

the Airfix kit.

has some very annoying, and hard to fix issues.  For the casual builder,  thick ailerons, I'm surprised there is no AM set.  Oversized wheels are annoying as is the too skinny seat. 

One a more detailed take,  there is the lack of flare of the fuselage to wing panels, which is right PITA to fix,   which is shown correctly on the HB CAD,  less obvious is the fuselage being too long, again, a PITA.

I only have the Trumpeter 1/24 IIC kit, but I photocopied up the Bentley plans and there are no discrepancies,  and it also gets the shapes right, as you might have gathered I spend a lot of time looking at Hurricane images, and it's a kit which shapewise is more pleasing on closer inspection.

If HB catch that, it maybe best in scale, so far, for a Mk.I

cheers

T

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.I/II/C/D Trop by HobbyBoss - Mk.I released - new boxings/variants in 2023-2024