1/48 - Mil Mi-8MT/Mi-17 "Hip-H" by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Mil Mi-8M/Mi-17 "Hip-H" by Trumpeter - box art - release November 2022

I assume this will be a scale down of their 1/35 kit. Does anyone know how accurate that is considered to be? I guess the Anetra kit is vapourware.

Given the long-announced Mi-4 still has yet to be released, I also assume this will make an appearance sometime later than November...

Jon

15 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

I assume this will be a scale down of their 1/35 kit. Does anyone know how accurate that is considered to be? I guess the Anetra kit is vapourware.

Given the long-announced Mi-4 still has yet to be released, I also assume this will make an appearance sometime later than November...

Jon

The frustrating thing is, they already hand made tooling for the Annetra kit - test shots exist already. What went wrong then?

J

17 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

Jon

I don't know about vaporware considering test shots had been made but it is frustrating. 

Perhaps this is the Annetra tooling, who knows?  I'm glad to see it irrespective as it's a subject that's LONG overdue for mainstream release in this scale

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeffreyK said:

The frustrating thing is, they already hand made tooling for the Annetra kit - test shots exist already. What went wrong then?

J

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I don't know about vaporware considering test shots had been made but it is frustrating. 

I know. It's been ages since they showed those shots. I don't really want two Hips, so the question will be: buy Trumpeter or hope for Anetra?

Jon

3 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

buy Trumpeter or hope for Anetra?

That's where eBay comes in handy.  Buy what you can touch, and if the Anetra one comes along, offload your Trumpeter kit if it turns out the Anetra is better. :)

3 hours ago, Jon Bryon said:

I guess the Anetra kit is vapourware.

2 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

What went wrong then?

Not to pollute this thread with Annetra news but I asked them back in July about the status of the Hip.

After the second testshot they had problems communicating with their tool maker in China and cannot even travel for an on-site visit due to Covid.  

So they have no idea what's going on with them at the moment and while the project is not dead from their side everything depends on their toolmaker showing any lifesigns.

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mike said:

That's where eBay comes in handy.  Buy what you can touch, and if the Anetra one comes along, offload your Trumpeter kit if it turns out the Anetra is better. :)

We live in an economic downturn, i.e. a buyer's market unfortunately though. You get little for second hand items these days. Very different to two years ago when people hand both money and time on their hands....

15 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Not to pollute this thread with Annetra news but I asked them back in July about the status of the Hip.

After the second testshot they had problems communicating with their tool maker in China and cannot even travel for an on-site visit due to Covid.  

So they have no idea what's going on with them at the moment and while the project is not dead from their side everything depends on their toolmaker showing any lifesigns.

That's extremely furstrating, most for Annetra. I hope not too much money had changed hads already...

I wish people would stop releasing stuff I want. Alas, as a child of the late 1980s and early 1990s the Sega MegaDrive videogame "LHX Attack Chopper" firmly cemented the Mi-8 in my imagination, so I'm going to have to get one of these I think.

• Haha 2

Excellent news!!!!! And like in 1/35 and partially in 1/72 (Mi-8 Zvezda and KP are not correct)  that's a pity we will not have Mi-8T version so I really hope we will see soon a conversion. BTW should be Mi-8MT not Mi-8M.

• Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Mil Mi-8MT/Mi-17 "Hip-H" by Trumpeter - box art - release November 2022
On 9/20/2022 at 1:52 PM, JeffreyK said:

J

I saw the tests shots in Moson 2019 and the people who were there and who worked on the real thing said it was a mess.

1 hour ago, dragonlanceHR said:

said it was a mess.

That's interesting and the first time I hear about problems, especially using such drastic words. Did they say what exactly they thought was off? 

Not that I dispute accuracy issues in general but unfortunately my experience with discussing testshots/new releases is that some people are quick to throw harsh judgements (mess, POS, ...) into a discussion without backing them up.

So if you have any details about this I would be very interested (but maybe better to continue in the Annetra thread). 

Cheers

Markus

Markus, it's been a while and the details are blurry, put the gist was to try to get a bulk deal on AVC resin kit, even if it has the wrong (short) side tanks for Croatian version. You can see the photos of Annetra built kit on page 6 of the Annetra thread, KPM Kaznejov FB page link.

I welcome the Trumpeter effort, bring it on.

Cheers,

Vedran

I really hope this turns out to be one of Trumpeter's better kits. I have waited a long time for a decent mainstream kit having flown in these many times during my previous life.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 3:17 PM, Shorty84 said:

No offence Shorty but and I quote 'they have no idea what's going on with them at the moment' due to Covid - the rest of the world is doing just fine commuicatig via Teams, E-mail, you name it, I'm far from convinced this should be a factor.

I suspect that Annetra, Tan Model and a bunch of other fly by nights cannot put their money where their mouth is - completly unrelated to Covid.

Glad Trumpy is picking this up - hopefully the A-Team.

Marc.

• Confused 1

@MarcV, you are of course free to believe what you want but think you misunderstood what I wrote.

I said 'they had problems communicating with their tool maker in China', no word that this was related to Covid. Their problem is that the toolmaker does not communicate with them, regardless which method they may use and what the reason may be.

Covid is a problem for making a direct on-site visit instead to sort this out. They said 'it is not possible to travel to China due to Covid' which may very well be true for them due to the drastic measures still in place in China (depending on the Province they may be much harsher than the general rules for entry).

I just repeated what they wrote me when I asked them back in July about the progress on this project, without any judgement. I can forward you their mail if you want. It is exactly as I shared above, which I did in good faith in order to provide people a bit more information about what's going on with this promising project.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Marc - no offence taken, all good :)

Hopefully it will see the light of the day eventually. In the meantime, I will gladly buy Trumpeters Hip (which should be good if it is a scale down of the 1/35 kit).

Yes? - so the 35th kit is pretty good?

Well, there seem to be no 'deep' reviews (=comparison to plans, ...) of the 1/35 (or the scaled down 1/72 kit released by Hobby Boss) but all I read on various forums, both were well received with no glaring errors.

At least @Flankerman found the 1/72 version excellent, so that's good enough for me. One may need to be prepared that not all version-specific details are fully incorporated, but if based on the existing kits it should be one of their better efforts.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

• 1 month later...