Arado Ar E 555

81-er

This is my latest finished model, the Revell kit of the Arado Ar E 555 in 1/72. The kit is a lot of fun to build and very well detailed. I designed the paintjob myself with the idea that this would be a night bomber, hence the black underside and the RLM 74/RLM 75/RLM 76 splinter pattern.

Modifications made were:

• Modified the front undercarriage strut and made it so it could be added later on in the build
  • Added some detailing in the undercarriage bays
  • 3D printed seatbelts
  • Replaced all the gun barrels and the pitot with brass tube
  • Modified the top turret so it could be painted separately and added later
  • Added weighted effect to the wheels using heat
  • Added wire brake lines
  • Modified the exhausts so they could be painted separately to the main engine pack and added later
  • Strut to support the open hatch made from brass wire
  • Home made decals incorporating my initials into the aircraft code on the fins

The WIP is here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235108808-172-revell-arado-are555-finished/

Photos:

zy523IU.jpg

gjKWJbe.jpg

r8ttDPY.jpg

7qgJ3FO.jpg

ncbfq4F.jpg

DpdwvXq.jpg

qdArpH8.jpg

29u4Gge.jpg

TJWFMgX.jpg

EynH4in.jpg

And a couple of the cockpit before it was closed up:

C8SP0pn.jpg

Wt8yfOO.jpg

James

Postscript 18/05/2023

After having won it’s class at one of our monthly meetings, this was on the table for my club’s finals night last night, to be judged by some chaps from a nearby club. It won the 1/72 aircraft class, making it my first medal-winning model. A bit of a surprise as there was some tough competition, but I’m over the moon regardless :D 

4uQ34Fy.jpg

James

• Like 64

It's a fun build, just as well as I've three more in the stash! I tried to document any pitfalls in my build thread, but there aren't many.

James

• Like 1

A cracking build. What I know about Luftwaffe subjects has just been exhausted. However, I think they arrived at some pretty "futuristic" designs and looking at this one you can certainly see where certain USAF designs have been spawned.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure there's no crime titled "Theft of Model," but you've got me wanting to commit that very act!  Outstanding.  I love the strange and obscure ones, especially some of the German contraptions from WW2, and I have to say that this one is superbly built and finished.  I am quite jealous, good sir.

• Like 2

Very nice work. Paint scheme is good. I've not been into what ifs and Luftwaffe 46 stuff, but this is an exceptional design from Arado's war-time drawing boards and worthy of exploration. Besides, as I've just purchased two Horten H.IX kits, my interest in the genre is piqued.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shortCummins said:

excellent job,

you've nailed the splinter camo and the black underside has also come out really nice, not just a black slab 👍

you should be really happy with this one

rgds

John(shortCummins)

What John said, exactly right. Beautifully done James, and a very sharp build.

• Like 1

Hi,

I don't do, nor am I attracted to Luft 46, but in this instance I find your build spectacular and totally mesmerizing.

Superb modelling!

JR

• Like 2

Superb finish with incredible realism, and such an interesting subject. 

I have one in the stash and now and again think about doing it as a fantasy 'Lufthansa Cargo' post war freighter!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Thank you for all the kind words everyone

15 hours ago, Viking said:

I have one in the stash and now and again think about doing it as a fantasy 'Lufthansa Cargo' post war freighter!

Ooh, I like that idea! If you do go for it, let me know as I'd love to see how that looks :)

James

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you, Craig :) I am, very proud indeed of this one. Looking forward to getting the move out of the way so I can get it in a display case

James

• Like 1