Research; Saunders Roe SR53 mixed powerplant Aircraft

This must have been an easy model as I'm finished and still on the first page.

This was a great little kit and kudos to Simian Stuff/ Herritage Aviation for making it. A few minor improvements could be made but right now its already very good.

IMG_20221109_092345853

IMG_20221109_092227846

IMG_20221109_092250581

Colin

• Like 14

A few suggestions for anyone building this.

The cockpit is black inside but not mentioned on the instructions. There is some great cockpit detail, most of which is lost in the black hole.

I added brass pins to the wings, tail plane and missile mounting to make alignment easier.  

The nose probe was replaced with a needle.

Most assembly was in CA glue as epoxy seemed not to stick to the resin very well?

The nose weight in the front fuselage was great idea as space in the nose is very limited.

White metal undercarriage supplied was strong enough to take the weight.

Marker holes are prepared in the wing tips and missiles to allow easier drilling of the brass pins. This is very useful but not noted on the instructions.

Vacform canopy is very clear and much better than average.

Decals were very good and went on well.

The painting instructions have you put 2 decals on the nose door according to the profile view but behind according to the underside view. I managed to find a picture showing the starboard side of the plane (you have only been able to see the port side for the last 10 years) and confirmed the decals should go on the nose door. However they are too big to fit on the nose door so you are left to artistic license as to where you put them.

The real plane today seems to have a plethora of minor aerials including whip type. These are not mentioned on the kit although the painting diagram does show several which are not present on the machine today. Maybe the fit changed over the years? Check references is the best way as this is quite a well documented subject.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Flintstone said:

my first resin aircraft kit

This is a really great effort from a 'new' manufacturer. As resin kits go this would be a great place to start.

On 29/11/2022 at 16:42, Colin W said:

This is a really great effort from a 'new' manufacturer. As resin kits go this would be a great place to start.

Good to know, thank you!

A couple of years ago, Cosford used to do open cockpit evenings and I managed to sit in the SR53. It really did feel like you were dropping into a deep dark hole, as the cockpit is all black and the canopy is very small. Hopefully Cosford will start doing those opportunities again and I recommend them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flintstone said:

Hopefully Cosford will start doing those opportunities again and I recommend them.

The last time I was at Cosford the flight of stairs (3 steps) to look into a closed JP4 cockpit was roped off as no one 'was available to stand safety guard'. I think it will be a long time before they let anyone sit in their exhibits again!

Consider yourself very lucky!

On 10/27/2022 at 10:44 PM, Courageous said:

oing to the nationals, so might have to look for something like this.

Did you manage to find or buy one of these?

It would be great to see one in wrap around grey green or grey over silver!

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

I was referring to the jig and I didn't see one of them either.

Indeed crossed wires. The guy from Ebma was at Telford.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 8:35 PM, Colin W said:

The cockpit interior is now repainted black which is a shame as all the lovely detail is lost. I didn't bother to take a picture as the one above looks better.

First rule about painting black: don't paint it black.  This partly because it absorbs so much of the light, reflecting so little, that what results is what you've seen: nothing.  Mix black with some dark grey (Panzer Grey or similar) and use that.  It looks black until you compare it with black.  Then you can add a little more of the grey for the tops of surfaces that would be reflecting more light anyway, or perhaps a little gloss varnish.  You can get quite artistic by adding daubs of other colours into black but that's a matter of taste - anything is better than the coal mine effect.

The same principle applies to the underside of night bombers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

don't paint it black

Hi Graham, I actually don't often use black. Mr Colour #40 German Grey is my usual choice for black, other than tyres when I use #137 tyre black or for anti glare screens when I use #125 cowling colour, for all the reasons you note. The cockpit in the SR53 is #40 German Grey except the instrument panel which is actually black to drive the contrast to the instruments.

• Like 1