Research; Saunders Roe SR53 mixed powerplant Aircraft

This Group Build covers my main area of modelling interest so I can enter numerous models from the stash. I have decided to build the SR-53 as it is a key British Aircraft and is quite a recent kit. I have never heard of the manufacturer before, 'Simian Stuff', but first impressions are good. The real aircraft survives at RAF Cosford.

The kit comes in a stout box with the resin parts sealed in plastic. The main parts are individually sealed with the smaller parts in groups. A good, strong looking undercarriage and nose weight are cast in white metal. Detail in the cockpit and wheel wells is excellent and the nose probe looks fine and beautiful. It will have to be replaced though as I cannot trust myself not to knock it off. There are 2 vacformed canopies and a set of decals for both planned aircraft. These appear to have no white printed so I'll have to remember to mask the base coat!

The kit has what appears to be the best set of instructions for a resin / limited run kit so far so I'm hopeful of an easy build.

So here's what you get.

IMG_20220919_162024044

IMG_20220919_162054781

IMG_20220919_162335621

IMG_20220919_162344536

We have a good rendition of the jet compressor and some great cockpit detailing on both halves.

Looking forward to making a start soon as my F15 for the Eagle GB is nearly ready for a coat of paint.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Simian Stuff was a brand used by Heritage/Kits For Cash, but much better casting than their earlier efforts. I did the decal artwork and instructions for this kit.

Steve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BritJet said:

. I did the decal artwork and instructions for this kit.

I have to say that the art work and instructions look great so far.  I'll let you know how they work out in use 

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Definitely one to watch.  It's one of those slightly unusual aircraft, that many of us learnt about thanks to Airfix!

As a 10 year old I though this aircraft was in mainstream RAF service thanks to Airfix!

SD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 7:52 AM, SafetyDad said:

As a 10 year old I though this aircraft was in mainstream RAF service thanks to Airfix!

So did I!

Well my F-15 in the STGB has advanced as far as 1000 tiny decals to add; so I have picked up the SR53 for a bit of sanity.

IMG_20221011_161556011

Casting blocks removed and clean up started. The resin is quite brittle and I lost one of the wing locating lugs sawing it off the pouring block. I hope the tiny parts come away easier!

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

I've not actually done any modelling yet but most of the sub assemblies have been cleaned painted up. These resin kits certainly do need a different approach.

@BritJet, a few constructive suggestions would include the cockpit colour (I went with DSG?) and the connection between the fin and the tail is not easy to interpret from the instructions. I'm sure someone will try and fill the gap.

IMG_20221013_140839978

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

The cockpit interior is now repainted black which is a shame as all the lovely detail is lost. I didn't bother to take a picture as the one above looks better.

I glued the main components together with epoxy but added the wings with CA glue.

The mouldings are very thin and care is needed with every step.

Sitting in the jig to dry

IMG_20221026_153934464

Some filler is needed under the intakes and on the lower fuselage seam. Otherwise the fit is pretty good.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

That jig looks very useful (particularly for kits like this)!

The jig is handy for 'normal' models but for most resin and Vacforms where there re no tabs or alignment the jig is very worthwhile. That said this is one of the better resin models with a very ingenious wing joint method. 

I did find a sight bow on the starboard wing root which improved greatly with a few wipes of a flat file.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Colin W said:

The jig is handy for 'normal' models but for most resin and Vacforms where there re no tabs or alignment the jig is very worthwhile.

So, where did you get it please? Cost much? Going to the nationals, so might have to look for something like this.

Stuart

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

So, where did you get it please?

I actually cant remember but based pn  @BritJet's comment above it is possible that I bought it from Herritage Models at last years Nationals.

Hopefully mine will be finished and on the IPMS Salisbury stand so drop by and take a look.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up with this, I'd never heard of this company before but it looks like a rather nice kit although I guess a bit of filler is expected for such types of kit. Looking forwards to seeing some paint on.

• Like 1

Paint is now on, 2 coats of Halfords white primer with sanding 1500 grit between and a top coat of Mr Clour 197 Chracter white.

Decals applied

IMG_20221107_113206996

IMG_20221107_113224650

Top view.

A few aerials and minor bits to add.

Who wants white missiles when you can have blue and red?

• Like 8