Let’s Race. #2. Laird Super Solution. **Finished**

As my first planned build is the Hall’s Bulldog Air Racer, I need something for it to race. So my second entry is another Williams Brothers 1/32 racer, the Laird Super Solution.

Laird Super Solution

From the Williams Brothers website

“Designed by Matty Laird in 1931, it was designed to minimize all frontal area to reduce drag and obtain the maximum possible speed.  Rolled our of the factory just 5 days before the Bendix cross country race- from Burbank,California to Cleveland, Ohio. The plane had some initial stability issues, but they were corrected overnight. Jimmy Doolittle took the plane and flew from Lansing, Illinois to Burbank for the Bendix race! Immediately, he was off for the race to Cleveland, which he won with an average speed of 223mph, but he immediately refueled and went on to Newark, New Jersey to set a new coast to coast record! And then, he refueled, and flew back to Cleveland to enter the Thompson Trophy Race-a total of 2882 miles! Alas, the trip was too much for the engine, and after an early lead, he had to drop out in lap 7.”

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Fuselage halves cleaned up and joined together. I haven’t forgotten to install the cockpit, during dry fitting discovered I could fit it through the cockpit opening, a lot easier than trying to fix it to be half and close the fuselage around it.

Laird Super Solution

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Upper wing at struts installed.

Laird Super Solution

It was about this time things started to go wrong.
I discovered I had used the wrong parts in assembling the engine and as a result it was too large to fit into the cowling (diameter 5mm to large). I started to disassemble the engine only to loose a cyli”nder to the carpet monster!

Then discovered I only had half the alternative bits I required, the rest having been tidied up! And now probably in a land fill somewhere in Yorkshire.

Current thinking is to see if I can find an aftermarket replacement, (will pay a visit to the Neomega stand at SMW next weekend), if not will try to scratch build the missing bits.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear you're sorted with a suitable replacement engine JB and the paintwork looks to be coming on well. Yellow isn't the best of colours to work with but that's not holding you back.

• 1 month later...

HThis racer has been in the pits for a while. Work has now resumed.

Laird Super Solution

Started with the rigging, used some brass rod I had, a bit over scale but I am happy with the way it looks. Relatively new to rigging so just trying out different techniques.

Then moved on to decals. These proved to be a bit of a headache. Didn’t want to release from the backing paper until I used hot water. Also had a tendency to fragment. However once I got the decal on the kit they settled down really well.

Laird Super Solution

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Malc2 said:

The green is a good match to the decals.

Why did you paint over the cockpit canopy?

Malc.

Doh!. That’s a very good question.
Should have read the instructions and looked more closely at reference photos.

Question is do I try to correct it or leave it as it is. One to think about in the New Year.

Oops! 

You could try masking over the paint you want to keep and use an IPA soaked cotton bud to wipe off the areas that should be clear? IPA will not harm the clear plastic.

Try on a scrap painted piece first to see how the paint reacts to IPA.

Malc.

• 1 month later...

After re-rigging the plane made a bib for freedom from the bench, I took the decision to leave the canopy as is. 

Halls Bulldog Laird Super Solution

If I am honest, these two Williams Brothers builds sapped the mojo. Glad i can put them on the shelf and forget about them. 

• Like 6

• Jb65rams changed the title to Let’s Race. #2. Laird Super Solution. **Finished**

While the results look good it's unfortunate they've taken a toll on your modelling mojo JB. Nice work and hopefully you've a revitalising project on your workbench next.

On 29/01/2023 at 09:14, Col. said:

While the results look good it's unfortunate they've taken a toll on your modelling mojo JB. Nice work and hopefully you've a revitalising project on your workbench next.

Started Tamiya’s new comet tank. A joy to build.

• Like 1