Vickers Viking 1b

On 9/29/2022 at 3:47 PM, BrianBrachiopod said:

obvious oddity yet?

All good and very clever open cabin  display ... Are the engines on that kit too close to the fuse  ? You shaved the prop tips  but those 4 cowlings are hinged backwards , they are longer at 90 degrees than the prop tips and won't open completely and hit the fuselage - . 

Well done 

Edited by bzn20

5 hours ago, bzn20 said:

All good and very clever open cabin  display ... Are the engines on that kit too close to the fuse  ? You shaved the prop tips  but those 4 cowlings are hinged backwards , they are longer at 90 degrees than the prop tips and won't open completely and hit the fuselage - . 

Well done 

Thanks. I checked at the time (sometime last week): On one side (I forget which one) only one tip was too long (by about 1mm), & the other prop had 2 tips (adjacent, not opposite) that were both too long by about 0.75mm.

No problem after I corrected them. It could have been a moulding quirk of my props, or I may have misaligned the nacelles. All good now. Both engines run smooth with no undue vibration.

• Like 1

@bzn20: My son looked at you post yesterday, and my reply, and he pointed out to me that one of the things I said in my reply didn't make sense:

He suggested that if I had misaligned the front sections of the nacelles, because they are slightly tapered and therefore quite self centering, (given that only one or two of the prop tips were affected),

it is far more likely I made a different & fundamental error. (In fact, he made me look a bit silly):

He suggested (& I find myself agreeing with him) that, while I may have also not fixed the nacelle fronts on properly, I also, most probably

MISJUDGED the placement of the motors themselves such that the shafts were aligned eccentrically.

I can't believe I made such an error, but it seems that's what I did.

My son also said I did the build far too quickly!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bzn20 said:

You shaved the prop tips  but those 4 cowlings are hinged backwards , they are longer at 90 degrees than the prop tips and won't open completely and hit the fuselage - . 

The Viking had removable cowling panels, are you thinking of the later Varsity which had the hinged cowl panels? 

Viking

1280px-VickersViking-G-AGRU.jpg

Varsity

1000px-Varsity-WF369-01.jpg

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

are you thinking of the later Varsity which had the hinged cowl panels? 

Viking

I sure was Doh ! 😳 Well spotted  Dave

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

These are beautiful results, if whimsical!  I greatly appreciate the floorplan, too, which I will scale up for my own use.  How you managed to do all this in the timespan you allocated is beyond me.  Do you ever sleep?  Well, it looks great.  

As for my techniques, they are irrelevant to the results you achieved here, which I would be hard-pressed to copy.  Best regards, and sorry for the tardy note! Alex