Vickers Viking 1b

Having now resolved the wiring problem, I finally glued the cabin deck into the starboard half of the fuselage.

I have tidies up the catering area at the back of the plane as well, and also mounted the propellers. 

I used fine brass mesh for the overhead luggage racks.

y4myt7ptxSn4PXaPrYCl1haTS-izI-DWn6ru7CMh

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is looking really good with some very nice detail touches. it should be an impressive diorama.

If you are still thinking magnets to hold fuelage halves together be careful as they are very strong.

I suggest a magnet on one side and a Halbach Array on the other.

Here's a (not very helpful) picture of G-AHOK

52389644990_870eb93376_b.jpg

Thanks @ColinChipmunkfan for your kind words. As I said at the start of this saga, 1/72 isn't really my thing. About half of my models (I normally scratchbuild) are 1/33 or larger. (The other half being fired clay prehistoric animals).

I did, several years ago, get a present from my daughter- a 1/250 IJN Yamato battleship, that ended up costing well in excess of £900 by the time I had bought every upgrade & photoetch available,

and then electrified all movable parts. I said at the time "Never again!" and here I am struggling with another small-scale model that tortures my failing eyesight!

Back to the Valom Viking build:

I made another realization today-

Now I have the cabin deck with its seats, passengers & baggage all tucked safely inside, I realise that when I slide the diorama base apart to split the fuselage to reveal the inside,

the starboard half will be making contact with the base on only two wheels, & the port side attached by a single wheel.

My solution is to display the plane as if there were some last-minute repairs needed prior to take off.

i.e. I will have to have tripods under the wing tips to prevent the halves tipping wingwards, and ladders attached to the wings to prevent the halves tipping fore or aftwards.

Al least it'll make the diorama more interesting!

y4mHAQeFrJSj1TtZlx9Tvd94ZiDrReC7erEjDo-s

That looks like  plane on a check with air lines ( for air powered tools  ) trailing everywhere .

I made another discovery today:

AI knew that most septic vacuum trucks are usually emptied by the tank tipping up and the back plate hinging, but it seems at least some have two large nozzles at the back-

One as a subsidiary input, and one as a high pressure pump outlet.

This gives me a wild idea.

I'm not spoiling the surprise now (some of you will probably guess what I have in mind), but I'm going to have some fun with this diorama!!!

y4meGv1sfWkuVHrhScb5wNEZN5Rhs90tNTI09j2v

Ours had a suction and pressure selector ,suck to empty the kite's tank ,pump to empty the truck . Before I got to Brize there was a story somebody connected up to a VC10 and selected pump instead of suck .. It was a bit messy  and the bog door was open so it wasn't just confined to the toilet  . We had Commer Karrier Bantams . Can't imagine a tipper honey truck  or where they even tipped it , had strict dumping rules . We had tipper refuse Bantams though .  It's more like a slurry btw mixed with Racasan . Hell of a subject I didn't think I'd be mentioning on a modelling forum .

Edited by bzn20
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Ours had a suction and pressure selector ,suck to empty the kite's tank ,pump to empty the truck . Before I got to Brize there was a story somebody connected up to a VC10 and selected pump instead of suck .. It was a bit messy  and the bog door was open so it wasn't just confined to the toilet  . We had Commer Karrier Bantams . Can't imagine a tipper honey truck  or where they even tipped it , had strict dumping rules . We had tipper refuse Bantams though .  It's more like a slurry btw mixed with Racasan . Hell of a subject I didn't think I'd be mentioning on a modelling forum .

I rode in one for a few weeks in 1973. That one definitely tipped. It wasn't done often- mainly for maintenance. The guy who drove it told me a small dog got inside the tank once. (The way he described it, the dog was sucked in, but the man was a bit of a joker, so few people believed it).

• Like 1

After I wired up the electrics earlier in this Valom Viking build to check it out, I discovered that if I reduce the voltage from 5V to 4.1V, the props rotate at a semsible speed.

(At 5V, they spin fast enough to break the superglue bond and fire themselves across the room.

One of my last jobs was to mount the buck converter to supply the 4.1V.

I also added a timer relay so that when I start prop 1, prop 2 starts automatically after a minute (As a pilot of the real plane never tries to start both props at the same time).

y4mKTzwgSsCY8JsLjL4tDuE4WZ9lBYMVm1FfOgXp

That last post was my state of play as it was late last night (but I felt too tired to boot the computer on to post the picture).

But, now, (as far as I want to go for now) ... ...

The Valom Vickers Viking is

FINISHED. 

LOTS of pictures to come.

y4mVSPt_pe453xcJKsSyoPBxGVCMYqZAJc6VU-wqy4mCbW0rA-Otjd0NT5KyUtIaGoKmtVjQq8Cb8mhKy4mBxKhBq8adfkUiT2tzaX2wP49iiPwzW8A9kcgCy4mVEehvVMisW_4aaVgkQBIswXzgweoAGgS5aXtYy4mv6RqJT1-Pk7ye-ZXAwbJYDrrX5Ijax6T41iK9

• Like 2