1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

both standard and shortened wings ? 

I believe that it comes with the short only. instructions say that the wingspan is 96mm (1/72) making it 6.9m full scale against wiki's 11.68m standard?

Stuart

• Thanks 1

Great subject choice Stuart. This one will look rather different to a standard P-63, itself a rare subject, with the race colour-scheme and markings alone far less those stubby wings :speak_cool:

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 9:26 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I wonder does it have both standard and shortened wings ? 

I've taken a better look at this kit and the kit comes with two wings.

20220923-183355.jpg  20220923-183415.jpg

'55' is from the Sohio Handicap Trophy Race in 1948, '87' is also from the Sohio Handicap Trophy Race but from 1949 and the shorter wing variant is from the Thomson Trophy in 1947.

Stuart

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

And away we go...

20220924-161554.jpg

12 steps to build this pesky cockpit. The PE is quite hard and didn't want to bend, particularly the belts, so the buckles were removed and placed onto masking tape, much more agreeable.

Stuart

Are they pre-painted or raw steel ? If raw then I suggest annealing them for a few seconds with a lighter or candle. That will allow the metal to become soft and pliable. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

suggest annealing

The PE is raw, haven't heard about 'annealing' as I hadn't encountered this problem before...now noted.

2 hours ago, Col. said:

There's no lack of detail in there. Hopefully it all fits between the fuselage halves.

It does look busy and hopefully a bit of paint will bring it out more.

Stuart

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

The PE is raw, haven't heard about 'annealing' as I hadn't encountered this problem before...now noted.

It does look busy and hopefully a bit of paint will bring it out more.

Stuart

Yeah it works Ive done it before, it doesn't take long with photo-etch so just a few seconds and let it cool naturally. If its not enough you can always repeat the process. 

• Like 1

This looks like a very nice kit & those short wings are very stubby compared to the full span.

One tool I've always kept in the toolbox is a lighter for annealing etch. Good for making etch conform to curves. The only thing I use it for, feels odd buying lighters as I've never smoked! 

• Haha 3

More bits...

20220926-100743.jpg

Tricycle undercarriage fitted to its well.

20220926-174653.jpg

Required parts removed from sprues and readied for priming except the wings. Decided to go for the 1948 version that required resin wing extensions to be added and needless to say I have given myself some work to do to fair these into the wing...a PITA.

Stuart

• Like 7

Moving forward...

20220928-134346.jpg

Cockpit, wheel wells and undercarriage painted green. I say green as it seems Bell had their own idea of interior green and like 'olive drab', it's still being debated, so I decided on this NATO green from AK, I/P painted black and dry brushed grey and details painted. Cockpit/wheel well assy fitted into fuselage...nice fit.

20220928-144041.jpg

The other fuselage half was fitted with no problems except for the upper nose area but that's simple enough to sort. The engine intake section behind cockpit had the expected gap along the seam. The intake is a separate section to cater for another variant and the instructions tell you to make this separately, then add it later. Experience has taught me not do this but to fit the intake section to its fuselage half, hopefully fitting nicely on three sides and if there are any problems, like the seam, it'll be easier to sort and I did with a thin shim of plasicard.

20220928-151316.jpg

Wings fitted beautifully with only a few minors to sort. Nose fairing fitted. It was shortly after I'd done this that I stumbled across 1/48 build of a P-39 Racer where it was stated(ish) what had to be done to turn it into a racer. The obvious thing like weapons were removed but also things like the propeller boss got its cannon hole removed, .50 cal ports were blocked off, radio removed plus other stuff. The observant of you will see that the radio on my build is still in place. I have tried to remove but no, it's staying where it is. The will be easy enough to sort as will the mg ports on the nose.

Stuart

• Like 11

This should be a relatively quick but some reason...

20221004-134652.jpg

Tail feathers on and all poseable but seeing that I've already set the stick to neutral ...

20221004-134645.jpg

Seat in and the two pieces of glazing also fitted. Just waiting for it to dry before masking and painting the framing green.

Stuart

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its ok we all goof.

We do, just proves again that you can't always trust the instructions, so far:

• Instructions show incorrect location of throttle quadrant.
  • Remove cannon from propeller boss.
  • Fill in .50 cal mg ports
  • Do not fit radio behind pilot
  • Do not fit armoured plate behind seat

Stuart

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Courageous said:
  • Fill in .50 cal mg ports
  • Do not fit radio behind pilot
  • Do not fit armoured plate behind seat

Good to remember too for post-WW2 export and civiliam P-51s ;). I learned the hard way before :(

• Like 1