1/96 Second Prototype Vulcan VX777 +++ Finished +++

Hi all.

Some of you may remember that I built the second prototype Victor in @Col.'s earlier Ground Attack group build. That involved some mild re-working of Lindberg's 1/96 Victor kit.

For this GB, I've decided to build the second prototype Vulcan (VX777) - again using a 1/96 Lindberg kit.

P1130272.JPG

This time however, there will be no conversion work required as the kit features the correct straight-edged wing shape :).

P1130273.JPG

Generally speaking, the kit is quite nicely moulded but is pretty basic and has raised panel lines.  Probably par for the course in 1959 when the kit was first released.

P1130274.JPG

P1130275.JPG

Decals are included for VX777 - they're OK but slightly yellowed.  This wouldn't normally be a problem, but may be noticeable against the white paintwork.  We'll see... 

P1130276.JPG

As you can just make out in the instructions reproduced above, the kit includes moveable elevons which can be connected together (through the fuselage), so that the surfaces on both wings move together.  This could be fun to keep, if the fit of the elevons is OK.

Cheers

• Like 12

Thanks @Marklo and @Corsairfoxfouruncle.  I've just been fondling the plastic and quickly taped the main parts together.  It's going to look good I think! 

58 minutes ago, Col. said:

Wasn't VX777 overall white? Or was it silver?

Yes Col, it was white.  The original Lindberg artwork showed it as white, but this was changed in 1967 (according to Scalemates), to the fictitious camo.

Cheers 

• Like 3

If I remember correctly I bought the kit along with an equally ropey Vulcan in the gift shop at the RAF Hendon museum.  Not even a particular fan of the V bombers but finance was offered so I had to buy something :) ironically I wouldn’t mind adding some nice 1/144 V bombers to the collection (particular a Valiant) maybe next year.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Marklo said:

ironically I wouldn’t mind adding some nice 1/144 V bombers to the collection (particular a Valiant) maybe next year.

V bombers do look particularly nice in the smaller scales.  I built a Falklands Vulcan in 1/200 earlier this year and have just bought a 3D printed Victor to go with it (to be converted to a Falklands tanker). 1/144 would be good too :coolio:.

• Like 1

I am currently building VX770 from the same kit and getting ready for painting.

As you say it is a pretty sound kit and generally the right shape and size for a prototype, which as you know are smaller than production machines.

Without putting too many speed bumps in the road ahead, what are your plans for the shallow cockpit canopy gaping free space behind the engine inlets?

Nice choice by the way Cliff.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Without putting too many speed bumps in the road ahead, what are your plans for the shallow cockpit canopy gaping free space behind the engine inlets?

Thanks for your comments h.i.t.c and interesting to hear that you're ahead of me on this one.

To be honest, I haven't yet given any thought to my Vulcan, as I've got my Canadian and Classic Revell builds to finish first.  However, if I run true to form, I'll probably rely on epoxy putty and/or matt black paint to correct and/or disguise any faults!  I did this with my earlier Lindberg Victor - putty to re-profile the front of the air intakes and then black paint to disguise what was (or wasn't), going on inside.  I also ended up painting the cockpit glazing too (after reshaping).

How have you tackled these issues on your Vulcan?

Cheers

• Like 2

Well, compared to your solutions it sounds like I not only went round the bushes but the whole park.

To lift the cockpit canopy I built a crude frame for the kit item to sit on and filled the gap where it joins the fuselage. It looks much better but obviously the point where the canopy meets the airframe still sits too low when compared to photos or drawings but it does not jump out at you.

The engine/inlet issue was more involved. I fiited four tubes inside the wing and painted some fan blades at the back, connected them to the fuselage as best I could. I then fitted a piece of flat plastic card to the bottom inlet lip and tapered it to try and give it a slight taper( the kit offering has to parallel lips) and blend in all this work in the inlets of each wing. It took an age of fill/sand/inspect/fill/sand/ inspect...... until I got it in the ball park. It has improved it but I think I could have gone a bit thicker on the card insert, I will be able to tell more when it is painted.

I started this kit as a quick build as it only has about 30 or so parts....🤣, what a misjudgement that was. That modelling though and I have enjoyed it.

Gary

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/28/2022 at 4:48 PM, Head in the clouds. said:

Well, compared to your solutions it sounds like I not only went round the bushes but the whole park

Yes, it sounds like you've put some serious work into your Vulcan!  Hopefully we'll see some pictures when it's finished :popcorn:.

I'm not sure how far I'll go with mine - it's a fine line between pleasure and pain...

Cheers

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I designed a new set of decals for VX777, if you have a decent printer and can make some yourself I could send over the files. 

Thanks Adam - that's much appreciated.  I'll PM my email address to you.

Cheers

Cliff, if I may could I ask Adam a question?

5 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

if you have a decent printer

Adam, what do you call a decent printer with respect to printing decals? I have a Canon MP490 and have had mixed results, sometimes the subject can be pixelated and on very small items illegible. I would not mind buying a new printer if I new it would be an improvement on the Canon but committing for no gain is what I want to avoid.

Looking forward to your next update Cliff, I have not touched mine for several weeks and really need to find time to push it on.

Cheers,

Gary

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all.  It's been a while, but I'm finally in a position to make a start on this Vulcan prototype :).

I spent a bit of time yesterday and, as expected, it's been a mix of good and bad news.

The good news is that the control surfaces fit OK.  As you may recall, Lindberg have designed these pieces to be moveable and so there are inevitably clearance gaps involved.  Those on Lindberg's Victor were horrendously large, but the ones on this Vulcan aren't too bad.  I may still need a thin shim for the larger elevons, but maybe not...

P1130383.JPG

P1130384.JPG

The bad news comes from the engine intakes which are completely the wrong shape - too rectangular and deep, although possibly not wide enough.

P1130388.JPG

I had similar problems on the Victor, which I 'fixed' using a judicious application of epoxy putty.  To honest even after 'fixing' my Victor intakes still aren't correct, but at least they're no longer so obviously wrong. That's going to be the best that I can hope for, on this Vulcan too ;).

Cheers

• Like 9

Glad to see you getting started into this one Cliff :yahoo:

While those intakes may not be correct I've every faith in your abilities to bring them closer to reality that the manufacturer could.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I've been distracted by other things, but am now back trying to sort out the intakes.

The first task was to cut up an old marker pen body, to make some circular intake ducts.

P1130407.JPG

Then on to the lips, which I've extended using thin fillets of plastic card.  Once fully set, these will form the foundation for putty which I'll use to establish a smooth profile.  The intention is to end up with lips that are parallel to their respective wing surfaces, rather than them both being parallel to the ground (as per the kit parts). 🤞🏼

P1130405.JPG

Cheers

• Like 13

Hi again.  I've reached a bit of a landmark this morning as the wings are now attached to the fuselage (photos aren't the best I'm afraid, as my clunky old camera doesn't like to auto-focus on white).

P1130417.JPG

P1130414.JPG

Overall, the parts went together OK, without too much filler required.  I've decided to paint on the glazing, as the clear parts are poor. By coincidence my 1/96 Victor and Valiant both have painted glazing too, so at least they'll all match!

I'm quite pleased with how my intake mods have turned out.  Hopefully that will still be the case once some primer's been applied ;).

P1130415.JPG

Now that wings are on however, I can now see that work's still needed to smooth the junction between the top of the splitter and the wing/fuselage.  Time for some more putty and sandpaper...

P1130416.JPG

Cheers

• Like 12

Hi again.  I'm currently stuck in a prime/re-fill/re-sand cycle as I try to get the airframe 'perfect'. 

I'm almost there, but in the meantime I assembled the u/c components.  They're all extremely clunky (were the u/c legs really square section?), and the 'hub caps' on the wheels would not look out of place on a 1950s VW Beetle.

P1130421.jpg

Cheers

• Like 4