1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.XIVc by Wolfpack Design (plastic Academy) - released

Homebee

23 hours ago, Homebee said:

(with upgrades

There are very few upgrades that really help.  Spinner, raditors,  rocker covers,   fixing the kit is possible, but only with "some modelling skill"  as in surgery..   

The existing 'correction' sets by KMC and Daco don't really fix the problems,  more disguise them.   

the main ones are covered here.  

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235114355-corrections-for-the-148th-academy-spitfire-mkxiv-kit-initial-research-and-suggestions/

There are more.  But, most of the panel lines are in the right place, and are quite finely done.    

PS edit - by this, I mean if you have the kit, and fancy a challenge, you can greatly improve it with some work, and 'free' upgrades can be sourced as leftover from other kits.    

I have seen the the Academy kit made up 'as is' , and  looks OK on it's own, but stick it next to correctly shaped model and it looks distorted. 

Conversions /cross kitting the lowback Airfix XIV is are likely an easier way to an accurate high back XIV.  

HTH

Edited by Troy Smith
added a PS

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.XIVc by Wolfpack Design (plastic Academy) - box art - release in January 2023

Now scheduled in January 2023 - ref. WP14817 - Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.XIVc - Premium edition kit

Sources:

https://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/wp14817.html

https://www.facebook.com/wolfpackd/posts/pfbid02D7Ag8j6r3ie92gvwWcpnoksxRUrWS6U64WYXZk9a8FqZraiVrkrz3p7A2TYeKZwYl

newtop02.jpg

Sprue parts form Academy Plastic Models

Detailed Instrument panels and seat belts by Color printing PE

3 A/C markings for the RAF in European Theater

316820111-571943354739058-62933457899371

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.XIVc by Wolfpack Design (plastic Academy) - box art+schemes - release in January 2023
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.XIVc by Wolfpack Design (plastic Academy) - released

Released - ref. WP14817 - Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk.XIVc - Premium edition kit

http://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/wp14817.html

• Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIVc (Premium Edition Kit)
  • Sprue parts by Academy Plastic models,
  • Total over 88 plastic parts with Color printing PE
  • 3 A/C markings for the RAF during 1944 ~ 1945
  • Canopy Masking seal included,
  • 8 pages A4 color printing manual included

wp14817-1.jpg

wp14817-4.jpg

wp14817-3.jpg

wp14817-6.jpg

wp14817-5.jpg

wp14817-8.jpg

V.P.

This reminds me of lipstick on a pig. I bought two Academy XIVs, a C and an E and two Daco upgrades and after a lot of work I binned the lot and bit the bullet and combined the Eduard VIII and the Airfix XIV for a nice accurate XIVc high back with an acceptable amount of work. My humble advice is save your money.

TRF

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I agree. Some of these Wolfpack re-releases are ones I am happy enough for, but not all the things they are issuing are of equivalent accuracy. This one is not quite as bad as the terrifyingly awful Hobbycraft Vampire kits but there's no reason to build it now given the ease of putting a spine on an Airfix kit. You don't even need to trash an Eduard VIII / IX, a spine off almost any old highback Spitfire kit will do fine, an old '70s Airfix Vb for instance, even and old built kit that you've superseded. That and a vac-form canopy and you're well on the way

Edited by Work In Progress
tidying-up
  • Like 4