Jump to content

Not strictly aircraft, but aircraft related…….Control Tower query.


BillF67
 Share

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have an interior view of a WW2 RAF Control Tower, preferably East Kirkby, showing where the interior stairs are? There must be some as there don’t appear to be any on the outside and there is a first floor!

 

VMT,

 

Bill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ignore this post. Check out my post below.

YouTube is invaluable for subjects like this.

 

YouTube is full of  videos where  people visit old airfields. 

 

A quick Google produced this.  About  22 minutes in he explores the control  tower. He didn't  reveal which airfield it was. The stairs is to the right of the entrance door.

 

I also found this:

 

https://www.controltowerstays.com/

 

Seem like a nice  place to stay. But look at the picture of the stairs. Is it original? I don't  know but it definitely resembles the one in the other video. Particularly the point where he descends the stairs at about 23:20.

 

Hope that helps.

 

 

control_tower049compressed-1024x1536.jpg

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Airfix Control Tower is nothing like any actual tower but If I get the impression that you are going to scratch build the interior then why not the whole thing ? 

You can still utilise certain bits from the kit so why not do that ??

 

My front extended Airfix kit to resemble the Watch Office to drawing No. 13726/41 . . . 

Airfix-Control-Tower.jpg

 

 

Alterations at the rear  . . .

Brit-Lancaster-022.jpg

 

 

The plan of an actual 13726/41 . . .

Brit-Lancaster-019.jpg

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 5:17 AM, BillF67 said:

Does anyone have an interior view of a WW2 RAF Control Tower, preferably East Kirkby, showing where the interior stairs are? There must be some as there don’t appear to be any on the outside and there is a first floor!

 

VMT,

 

Bill

Bill,

Follow this link for some additional photos from the Museum of The Air Force outside display of the WW2 control tower and such.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmNQyDh7

 

May or may help in your search. I do have plans to build a tower or two in the future. 1/48th and O scale diorama.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are brilliant! Many thanks, Ron. The internal plans show far more rooms than I expected. Total rethink and more plastic sheets required. This will take far longer than I anticipated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BillF67 said:

These are brilliant! Many thanks, Ron. The internal plans show far more rooms than I expected. Total rethink and more plastic sheets required. This will take far longer than I anticipated.

No problem Bill. Found this on the internet. http://maam.org/tower.htm

I haven't been to this museum as of late but is on my list if I get back up that way. I started a tower a couple of years ago and had stalled for various reasons. I bought the windows and doors from The Tichy Train Group. They do O and HO scale plus N but no 1/72nd scale. For those who haven't seen the directory

IMG_4803

Front facing wall

IMG_4806

Left wall.

IMG_4808

This is where I have pretty much stalled. I do have some of the windows and doors cut out. I've got a very long way to go.

 

Bill, best of luck on your future control tower build and would like to see it in a work in progress.

 

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s in there already, Ron, in Dioramas - “The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill” but after seeing your plans, I need to rework the room layout and stairs placement.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/09/2022 at 08:55, Mancunian airman said:

You can still utilise certain bits from the kit so why not do that ??

Looks like I will be altering the kit - some doors and windows might need sorting out!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2022 at 3:46 PM, f111guru said:

No problem Bill. Found this on the internet. http://maam.org/tower.htm

I haven't been to this museum as of late but is on my list if I get back up that way. I started a tower a couple of years ago and had stalled for various reasons. I bought the windows and doors from The Tichy Train Group. They do O and HO scale plus N but no 1/72nd scale. For those who haven't seen the directory

IMG_4803

Front facing wall

IMG_4806

Left wall.

IMG_4808

This is where I have pretty much stalled. I do have some of the windows and doors cut out. I've got a very long way to go.

 

Bill, best of luck on your future control tower build and would like to see it in a work in progress.

 

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Ron

What type of WWII Control are you considering ? I have a few plans that might help you with the external dimensions and window placements  . . . .

Ian 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ian @Mancunian airman, similar to the one in these plans

IMG_0073

Which by the way are similar to the ones I've seen in the Mighty Eighth book and some others that cover WW2. Also closely resembles the building at the USAF museum. I'm not strictly stuck to USAAF but have drawn up plans for RAF and RN also. Have quite a library and of course the internet to use as a research tool. I'd rather stick much to my library and or anyone on the forum that has insight. I like the drawing and the work you've done on your control tower. Very similar to the one I've started minus the very upper observation room.

 

 

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...