57th Fighter Interceptor Squadron - The Black Knights

Ridley

This is my homage to the 57th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, The Black Knights of Keflavik that I completed in late 2021. As a crew chief at RAF Upper Heyford, the Black Knights would come to visit us on occasion in their F-4Es. The interceptor grey scheme, after the Thunderbirds, is the prettiest scheme to adorn an F-4 (IMHO). Until I saw the Speed Hunter Graphics  Decals issue an F-4C option, I had no idea any of the 'C's were painted as such. As it turns out, 63-7589, was the only 'C' to receive this full livery just a few months prior to being phased out; making way for the 'E's to assume the role of Icelandic Air Defense. 

86381540c8d2f6bda94354843c042952

I used the excellent Zoukei-Mura 1/48th F-4C, Hypersonic's F-4C fuselage correction, canopy details, horizontal stab pivots, and engine exhaust nozzles; Eduard Cockpit Photo-Etch, PJ Production Pilots, metal pitot and static tubes, Speed Hunter Graphics decals, and AK paint. Shortly after receiving this kit, it was pointed out that the rear fuselage contours were inaccurate, and Hypersonic offered a correction kit, and I took the bait. It was quite the challenge. The mod took several extra man-hours, caused a lot of problems with fitting the rest of the wings and fuselage together, and in the end it was the equivalent of killing a mosquito with a sledgehammer. I've included those on-the-bench pics at the end of this post in case anyone else is leaning towards this undertaking. It's definitely not for the faint of heart and I wouldn't do it again.

You'll note that the aircraft is pretty clean. I meant it that way as this was a fresh, short-lived paint job; and she didn't have much time to get grimy. Only a few months after the new livery, 589 was retired to finish her life as an airborne battle damage repair trainer. A sad end for a MIG Killer, or any aircraft for that matter.

Another note on this build. At this time in my life I was in denial that the cataracts in my eyes were progressing rapidly to the point of affecting my lively hood. At the same time it was getting more difficult to work on models. After successful lens replacement surgery, this kit project looked absolutely God-awful. So, I stripped it back down and started over again. Luckily I hadn't gotten to the decal stage yet, otherwise you'd be looking at a Michigan ANG scheme. The end was more satisfying than usual just because of the double effort to get it right. I'm still not happy with my pilots, but I've never been good at figures. Somewhere down the road I may rework them. And please ignore the base. I have an idea for a diorama but that too is left for 'down the road'.

So, here it is. All comments and criticisms are welcome. Thanks for looking and enjoy!

Starboard

Port Side

Aft Right

AFt

Bottome

Engine

Final Right View

122622314_371953870522330_7513824311006605787_n

122972422_373283863722664_5883251686284051965_n

Original on the left, correction on the right

Rear View

Test Fit

F-4C final fit

Final assembly

F-4C Left Sider

Edited by Ridley
  • Like 47
  • Thanks 1

That's a lovely build! Always liked the 57th camo F-4C's with the full checkerboard fin and tailplanes, and the grey E's in the slightly more 'subdued' scheme! I also didn't know there was a grey C, and that looks equally as good - and especially when modelled as nicely as yours!

Top job!

Keith

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That's a lovely build! Always liked the 57th camo F-4C's with the full checkerboard fin and tailplanes, and the grey E's in the slightly more 'subdued' scheme! I also didn't know there was a grey C, and that looks equally as good - and especially when modelled as nicely as yours!

Top job!

Keith

Thanks very much Keith. 

49 minutes ago, Hook said:

Phantastic!

Thank you! 

30 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That looks superb.

Thank you Stephen. Much appreciated.

Nice model :yes: However, you've reposted a copyright image from Airliners.net.  They don't like that, and I understand have become litigious in the past, so we ask all member to post links to the original pics if they want people to see them.  I've removed yours, which you'd got on your Flickr account, which breached their copyright.  There's a notice about it somewhere on the site - I've forgotten where, and you're new, so we won't send the boys round to beat you up this time ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A stunning Phantom in what I too regard as the nicest scheme to adorn a USAF F-4C/E.  The F-15s looked good in it too.

Mark

Edited by canberraman
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, canberraman said:

A stunning Phantom in what I too regard as the nicest scheme to adorn a USAF F-4C/E.  The F-15s looked good in it too.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Yep, the F-15s looked pretty clean in this scheme as well. 

58 minutes ago, Mike said:

Nice model :yes: However, you've reposted a copyright image from Airliners.net.  They don't like that, and I understand have become litigious in the past, so we ask all member to post links to the original pics if they want people to see them.  I've removed yours, which you'd got on your Flickr account, which breached their copyright.  There's a notice about it somewhere on the site - I've forgotten where, and you're new, so we won't send the boys round to beat you up this time ;)

Copy all Mike. I'll do better 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mark V said:

Very nice!  Thanks for the info/photos on the fuselage inserts. I have a ZM F-4S in the build pile. I don’t think I will go there with mine. 

Thanks. Glad to help 🙂

3 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Lovely job on a lovely scheme, I do like ADC grey early F-4s, i have a Michigan ANG bird planned for one day….

Cheers 

Thanks very much. It was a tough decision between Kef and Michigan. Both beautiful schemes. 

3 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Thats a beauty! Used to see them parked up when flagging Kef. I have a 1/72 E to do in Kef markings with decals from Euro decals. Two nice ADC grey schemes but which one? which one?

Pete

Thanks Pete. Thats a tough choice and I've been there myself. Years ago I built a Hasegawa 1/48th F-4E and did #300 of the 57th. I forgot which decals I used but they had three or four 57th options. You can't go wrong with whichever you choose. They're all beautiful.

• Like 1

Lovely build of a great subject in a colour scheme that really suits it.

I have this one in my future build list too using a set of Speed Hunter Graphics decals that includes a few ADC grey a/c,  this one from the 57 FIS, along with 2 from Michigan ANG and 1 of Oregon ANG.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Lovely build of a great subject in a colour scheme that really suits it.

I have this one in my future build list too using a set of Speed Hunter Graphics decals that includes a few ADC grey a/c,  this one from the 57 FIS, along with 2 from Michigan ANG and 1 of Oregon ANG.

Thanks so much. I must have been having an old-timers moment when I wrote the original post. I meant to say Speed Hunter Graphics, not Furball. Great decals and many great choices to choose from. 

2 hours ago, billn53 said:

Excellent! Simply excellent!

Thank you!

5 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Phaboulous! Great to see another F-4 on the forum. Great choice of squadron colours on this machine. I never saw the 57th 'C' aircraft, only briefly the latter 'E' model before they transitioned onto the Eagles.

Thanks. No such thing as too many Phantoms, eh? 😉