Lebanese Firefly 1976

Kingsman

The Work In Progress for this one can be found here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235070810-unusual-ex-fireflies/

A Lebanese VC Firefly from the 1976 Arab Army Of Lebanon mutiny refitted with the M4A2 diesel powerpack and unusual applique armour.  The only photo I've ever found of the applique is rusting in a dump in UN days in Lebanon.  Almost certainly a unique individual vehicle.  Without knowing its history placing it in these markings and in that particular part of Lebanon's troubled past is, I admit, a complete swag.  Markings are hand-applied.  The right side photos were out of focus: must take some more.  Yes the turret is empty.  There was going to be a figure, but now there isn't.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 25

14 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Were you serving with the UN?

No.  I just came across the rusty dump photo online while researching.  There's a UN soldier posing in the turret hatch.  I presume Swedish as it was originally posted on a Swedish site.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 11:17 AM, Phil1960 said:

What did you use for graffiti?

There have been a couple of limited edition decal sets for Lebanese Fireflies, published by Military Modelcraft International.  I have both.  But I was concerned about the carrier film showing or silvering.  And it seemed a shame to butcher a rare multi-tank set for 1 model.

So the graffiti is copied from the top decal set freehand using green artist's acrylic ink and an old-style dipping pen.  The Palestine outlines are black ink.

If anyone is interested in buying either of these decal sets, PM me.  I don't need them any more as I won't be doing any more Lebanese Fireflies.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Thank you Kingman!. In effect I used Molotow 1 mm pencil but I'm not satisfied as the letters did not come out with a neat profile. The ink spread all around leaving a bad effect like spider legs! Maybe it dipend on a too matt surface? Any help?.

Ciao

Filippo

Molotov pens are really paint pens. Their 'ink' is very thin as it must flow through the fibre tip. They are also designed for use on porous surfaces. So it will spread out on non-porous surfaces. It might spread less on a gloss surface but the key point is that too much ink is being applied. Artists permanent ink pens are better, but usually only come in dark colours like black and brown. I would recommend bottled artists ink and an old fashioned mapping or calligraphy pen.