New 1/72 Xtrakit Saunders-Roe SRA-1

trickydicky210

12 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I spoke to the Hendon shop not long ago because I couldn't get through to the main shop (I had a Q about my account coz I couldn't change my card details on line) and a polite but very frustrated chap at the other end of the line said that the main shop doesn't answer the phone. Seems he'd received quite a lot of calls about this.

Glad to hear you got through. I must admit that it's unusual for Hannants to be tardy, but as of 4pm today my "1st Class, tracked" order is still being packed, with no tracking number.

On 9/25/2022 at 3:39 PM, Meatbox8 said:

The AZ SR.53 is quite a nice kit and still available in what-if boxings. I had a slight issue with fitting the canopy which I never quite resolved to my satisfaction. 

Doing one now, nice detail but not exactly best fitting and instructions not much better, still, to be expected really...

Funnily enough the next and last thing up for me before painting is the canopy 🤣..

Got to praise Xtrakit for the SR1 though, great stuff for '50's Farnborough type of stuff, right up my street, nice touch with the sea scape printed on the box too 👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Toe said:

Doing one now, nice detail but not exactly best fitting and instructions not much better, still, to be expected really...

Funnily enough the next and last thing up for me before painting is the canopy 🤣..

Got to praise Xtrakit for the SR1 though, great stuff for '50's Farnborough type of stuff, right up my street, nice touch with the sea scape printed on the box too 👍

I think mine needed a bit of filler here and there but went together reasonably well apart from the aforementioned canopy. It was a bit of a departure for AZ, although they did do the MB.5 as well. I missed out on that one though.  I don't think there has been any follow-up experimentals from them since. Hopefully Xtrakit might rectify that if their kit sells well, which is another excuse for me to buy it, of course.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Glad to hear you got through. I must admit that it's unusual for Hannants to be tardy, but as of 4pm today my "1st Class, tracked" order is still being packed, with no tracking number.

Unfortunately the guy at Hendon wasn't able to help. I think the two shops are pretty separate entities these days. In the end I was able to change my card details on a different device.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Unfortunately the guy at Hendon wasn't able to help. I think the two shops are pretty separate entities these days. In the end I was able to change my card details on a different device.

It would appear that the hordes of humanity thronging to purchase the SR.A1 kit has overwhelmed them: Monday evening I finally got a reply to say that it had been packed, ready for despatch, but according to the Royal Mail, it wasn't actually sent until 4pm this afternoon! Not a great start considering I paid for a "24 Hour" service. I'm thinking that "24 hour" refers to the amount of time it takes to do each step. Thankfully it's not the end of the world, but still annoying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

but according to the Royal Mail, it wasn't actually sent until 4pm this afternoon!

Received a warning that expedition might be subject to 'industrial action' at RM.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Just received mine: it looks lovely; some really fine engraved panel lines. Can't wait to put it all together :)

Oh no. Your comment combined with me literally only an hour ago reading about 'Winkle' Brown's extremely close call in the type (no fault of either him or the aircraft but rather that of an errant piece of driftwood) I'm just going to HAVE to have one. 

• Like 3