New 1/72 Xtrakit Saunders-Roe SRA-1

trickydicky210

Anyone noticed Hannets sem to have a time machine. The have 40+ in stock of each and they were delivered on 30/9/2022. Either a time machine or Ihave seriously overslept and lost 5 days of my holiday.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul821 said:

Anyone noticed Hannets sem to have a time machine. The have 40+ in stock of each and they were delivered on 30/9/2022. Either a time machine or Ihave seriously overslept and lost 5 days of my holiday.

Ā 

Funny that: I ordered mine yesterday and it arrived six months ago...

• Haha 10

This one wrong footed me, that's for sure. I wasn't quite sure what I thought about this last night having had several White Russians while on holiday and there being no kit available of a Venom NF.3 but, having slept on it I think I'm going to have to have one (stash reduction policy not withstanding) being as my build theme is British and Commonwealth aviation (in a vain attempt to keep the stash within manageable limits) with the odd Mirage III and century series fighter thrown in.Ā 

Ā 

I am slowly building up an 'experimentals hanger' which, as it happens, includes my only other Saunders Roe kit to date, that being AZ's SR.53. I wonder whether Xtrakit will produce further experimental or prototype kits. After the apparent demise of Olimp I for one would be welcome such a development.

2 hours ago, Denford said:

Now that's an interesting thought.

I'm told that Airfix can't 'rebox the SR53 as it won't fit their current Series 1 boxing.

Perhaps Xtrakit could oblige .....

The AZ SR.53 is quite a nice kit and still available in what-if boxings. I had a slight issue with fitting the canopy which I never quite resolved to my satisfaction.Ā 

Ā 

It would be great if Xtrakit expanded their range in to more experimentals though,Ā  seeing as most post-War British operational types are, more or less, catered for. The Bristol 188 was pretty spectacular after all. Anyway it's good to see Xtrakit back in business. I think I bought all their original releases bar the Hunter T.7 and Sea Harrier FA.2; several of the Meteor F.8s in fact.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Denford said:

I'm told that Airfix can't 'rebox the SR53 as it won't fit their current Series 1 boxing.

That did not stop Airfix when the moved from polybags to blister packs some fairly small models, like the Brewster Buffalo moved into series two, SO they just need to update the decal's, and perhaps learn from Hannants and add a whiff scheme, even series three would be cheaper that the Xxtraket SRA-1

19 hours ago, JamesP said:

Well as I lucky owner of the Planet Models kit Iā€™m annoyed that every Tom Dick and Harry will be able to get an SRA1 šŸ˜œ

My sentiments exactly! Although Iā€™ll probably spring for one of the Xtrakits (prototype). The ā€œwaterlineā€ option is too good to pass up.

Looks like one to pick up when I visit London and Hannants next weekend.

Ā 

I have seen the survivor in Solent Sky and remember Eric Brown telling about the test flight that almost killed him.

A nice What-If for air forces with thousand lakes or sheltered fjords to land on.

Maybe someone can make a goodĀ XF2Y-1 Sea Dart to keep it company.

Ā 

Thanks to Sword and Hannants for thinking outside of the box.

Ā 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Denford said:

Now that's an interesting thought.

Perhaps Xtrakit could oblige .....

Airfix don't have the tooling any more. As Paul821 has said, when Airfix changed their Series 1 packaging from polybags to blister packs 50 years ago they bumped some kits that wouldn't fit in the latter up to Series 2 and put them in a box. Arthur Ward quotes meeting minutes from November 1972 in his Airfix: Celebrating 50 years of the Greatest Plastic Kits in the World in which it was suggested that the price increase on these kits could be compensated for by including extra detail, such as underwing stores (which in the event wasn't done).Ā However they decided to drop the SR.53 and the P1127 from the range on the grounds thatĀ "little can be done with these, the aircraft being experimental only". When Arthur wrote his book in 1999 he said that Airfix still had the moulds for both these kits, and the P1127 was re-released the following year but the SR.53 has never been seen again and it now seems likely that the tooling has been scrapped. There was an Eastern European kit which I'd always assumed was produced from the Airfix moulds but Scalemates tells me I was wrong.

Ā 

Incidentally, Airfix did some more "bumping up" in the late 1970s when they re-released kits that had been rotated out of the range. Some but not all of this was due to the return of Series 1 kits that hadn't had a production run since the start of the blister pack era (e.g. the RE8) but not all. For instance their Battle had always been a Series 2 kit but since 1979 it's been in Series 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Ā 

There was indeed, I have one, it was produced by Ursus, reboxed in Poland...definitely the Airfix moulds.

Ā 

Ā 

No, it was a copy of the Airfix moulds. There were also pirate copies of the Airfix HMS Cossack, Westland Whirlwind helicopter, MiG-15 and Fairey Rotodyne made in Poland around the same time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Sorry, I meant a copy, based on the Airfix moulds, and a rough one at that

Ā 

I bought this kit in the '80s, it wasn't bad TBH. Certainly better quality than kits from old Frog moulds tortured in the Soviet Union.Ā But "pretty good" 40 years ago today will just be very poor, reference points have changed over that time.

34 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Has anyone received on yet? I ordered Saturday but the big H says my order hasn't been updated since then; no reply to 3 emails today and their phones don't answer. All very strange...

I spoke to the Hendon shop not long ago because I couldn't get through to the main shop (I had a Q about my account coz I couldn't change my card details on line) and a polite but very frustrated chap at the other end of the line said that the main shop doesn't answer the phone. Seems he'd received quite a lot of calls about this.

• Like 1