New 1/72 Xtrakit Saunders-Roe SRA-1

trickydicky210

Well that’s a bit different. To be honest, I don’t mind that although I cannot see myself adding overseas postage to get one. If it appeared at my LHS (which is doubtful), I’d probably buy one as I don’t mind prototype aircraft such as this. 

Like others have mentioned, a Venom would have appealed to far more modellers, however maybe the reason it’s not will be known when a certain UK manufacturer declares their new releases for 2023 in a few months time. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I’m sure this will please a segment of UK modelers, but as an enthusiast across the pond, I won’t grab one.

That said, it’s Hannants’ money behind the tooling and they’re not in the business to lose money.

A picture paints a thousand words'.

Subcontractor for these two Xtrakit models is Czech company Sword Models.

- ref. XK72017 -Saunders-Roe SR.A/1

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/XK72017

Saunders-Roe SRA-1 the worlds first jet powered flying boat. With decals for all 3 of the aircraft that were built.
Includes paint masks by Art-Scale for the wheels, regular canopy and also the prototype canopy. The mask can be used on either canopy.
Includes cockpit instruments 3D printed by Kits-World.
Three construction options;
1, The inside of the fuselage is marked so you can saw the lower section off to make a water-line version.
2, It can be made with floats up and no wheels or under-carriage legs attached so in flying configuration.
3, Regular taxiing version with wheels attached and floats down.
The rear of the box can be used to display the model on a water base.
Beautifully moulded by Sword Model. Decals by Techmod.

XK72017-3.jpg

XK72017-2.jpg

XK72017-4.jpg
XK72017-5.jpg
XK72017-6.jpg
XK72017-7.jpg
XK72017-8.jpg

Source: https://rara.jp/image_view/1287fffc5cc5a1e8b9c0b02a2c69e930/1005643125

040c0efd5c9e427b9e1d7ae090dc0f45w999-100
XK72017-9.jpg
XK72017-10.jpg
XK72017-1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

- ref. XK72018 -Saunders-Roe SR.A/1 - What if ?

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/XK72018

Description:

Saunders-Roe SRA-1 the worlds first jet powered flying boat with decals for 3 'What-if?' Korean War era paint schemes.
US Navy 12011 VF-11 Red Rippers
Royal Australian Navy WH 511
British Fleet Air Arm WZ270, 201E
Includes paint masks by Art-Scale for the wheels, canopy and the USN fuselage 'arrow' markings.
Includes cockpit instruments 3D printed by Kits-World.
Three construction options;
1, The inside of the fuselage is marked so you can saw the lower section off to make a water-line version.
2, It can be made with floats up and no wheels or under-carriage legs attached so in flying configuration.
3, Regular taxiing version with wheels attached and floats down.
The rear of the box can be used to display the model on a water base.
Beautifully moulded by Sword Model. Decals by Techmod. Limited Availability.

XK72018-1.jpg

XK72018.jpg

XK72018-2.jpg
XK72018-3.jpg
XK72018-4.jpg

V.P.

• Like 7

Great work Xtrakit for showing some imagination and not giving in to the mediocre. I shall certainly get one, irrespective of where on the globe I live.

Mind you, those 'WhIf' schemes don't do it any favours: I always liked the look of this aircraft, having seen it at Staverton back when I were a lad. Bit it is, well, a bit portly-looking and that silver scheme must have hid that. Maybe silver is the new black? 

• Like 4

An interesting choice, and one I am attracted to, even though a cheaper Venom or a new Javelin would have been nice.

My guess is that Hannants have steered clear of subjects that they think or have some knowledge that are going to appear, in the none too distant future. 

I don't know how far AModel got with the Wasp for S&M before Mel died, but they may do it for their own ranges. There is always hope (which is a small village in Derbyshire) 

Good to see that they have both canopies and the bullet fairing on the tailplane that can be easily removed for the prototype. Shall be adding one to the stash.

Interesting fact, it had engines called Metrovick Beryls.

Regards

Robert

• Like 1

I'll be getting one. It's not at all what I was expecting, and a bit of a brave choice by Hannants I think, but I love prototypes and experimental aircraft so this one's up my street. It might make an appearance at my LHS but maybe I'll add it to my order next time I need to get something from Hannants.

• Like 1

Oh what a great subject this turned out to be! I was just thinking, looking through the first post, 'perhaps I could build one in FAA EDSG over sky...'. The chances resisting temptation on this one are looking pretty low I'd say!

• Like 1