New 1/72 Xtrakit Saunders-Roe SRA-1

trickydicky210

Have all of the Xtrakit released been reboxings of other manufacturers kits?

I have seen the odd Xtrakit kit on traders strands at shows, but never really taken any interest in them.

Thank you for this: your information on 'past releases' is much better than mine!

However a re-boxing (under the Xtrakit label) of a MPM Allison Mustang could, curiously, be described as a 'New Xtrakit' though not a 'new Kit'!

Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be no more than a re-boxing under the MPM label of an existing kit.

So glad that we have got a teaser telling us something's going to be happening; it certainly beats actually telling us what's happening. And it really sets us all up for the disappointment too.

On the other hand, I do love those manufacturers who just tell us what they will be releasing. I seem to have more respect for them. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

Have all of the Xtrakit released been reboxings of other manufacturers kits?

I have seen the odd Xtrakit kit on traders strands at shows, but never really taken any interest in them.

It depends how you define reboxings. All of them have been produced by other manufacturers, as Hannants don't have their own factory, but most of them haven't been available in other companies' boxes. Although (as an example) the Spitfire XII was produced by Sword, it was never issued by them under their own brand.

A few Xtrakits were available under other brands though - the Meteor F.8 was also sold by MPM and Airfix, and the Vampire by MPM and Revell, while the Meteor NF was the old Matchbox kit.

14 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

It depends how you define reboxings. All of them have been produced by other manufacturers, as Hannants don't have their own factory, but most of them haven't been available in other companies' boxes. Although (as an example) the Spitfire XII was produced by Sword, it was never issued by them under their own brand.

A few Xtrakits were available under other brands though - the Meteor F.8 was also sold by MPM and Airfix, and the Vampire by MPM and Revell, while the Meteor NF was the old Matchbox kit.

Richard,

thanks for the clarification.

I did wonder briefly if Xtrakit commissioned other manufacturers to produce their kits, but from what you say that wasn't the case.

Interesting as an example that Sword made the Spitfire XII, yet never released it under their own name. 

Did Xtrakit add anything, eg new decals to the kits?

No, what I said was Hannants commissioned manufacturers (usually MPM or Sword) to produce kits that they would sell under the Xtrakit brand. After the Meteor F.8 I think they probably put in an exclusivity clause in the contract so the kits wouldn't get sold in anyone else's boxes - the Xtrakit Meteor F.8 was heavily undercut in price by the Airfix issue, IIRC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

No, what I said was Hannants commissioned manufacturers (usually MPM or Sword) to produce kits that they would sell under the Xtrakit brand. After the Meteor F.8 I think they probably put in an exclusivity clause in the contract so the kits wouldn't get sold in anyone else's boxes - the Xtrakit Meteor F.8 was heavily undercut in price by the Airfix issue, IIRC.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me.

So had a look on Scalemates of the kits released to date:

XTRAKIT

X72001 Meteor F8 (MPM) 2006

X72002 Meteor NF11/12/14 (Matchbox) 2007

X72003 Sea Vixen (MPM) 2008

X72004 Canberra PR9 ( Sword) 2007

X72005 Meteor T7 (MPM) 2008

X72006 Spitfire XII ( Sword) 2007

X72007

X72008 Vampire FB mk.5 (MPM) 2014

X72009

X72010

X72011 Hunter T7 (sword?)2011

X72012 Swift (Sword?) 2009

X72013 Scimitar (Sword) 2009

X72014 Spitfire Mk22 (MPM) 2010

X72015

X72016 Sea Harrier FA2 (Special Hobby) 2008

As you can see there are a few gaps in the kit numbers and the chronological order doesn’t reflect the numbers, so makes me wonder if they had a set of kits planned and some didn’t make it ( for whatever reason). 

So will the new kit fill one of the existing numbers or will it be no 17? 

Also note that they are all British subjects, so assume that theme will continue? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

So had a look on Scalemates of the kits released to date:

XTRAKIT

X72001 Meteor F8 (MPM) 2006

X72002 Meteor NF11/12/14 (Matchbox) 2007

X72003 Sea Vixen (MPM) 2008

X72004 Canberra PR9 ( Sword) 2007

X72005 Meteor T7 (MPM) 2008

X72006 Spitfire XII ( Sword) 2007

X72007

X72008 Vampire FB mk.5 (MPM) 2014

X72009

X72010

X72011 Hunter T7 (sword?)2011

X72012 Swift (Sword?) 2009

X72013 Scimitar (Sword) 2009

X72014 Spitfire Mk22 (MPM) 2010

X72015

X72016 Sea Harrier FA2 (Special Hobby) 2008

As you can see there are a few gaps in the kit numbers and the chronological order doesn’t reflect the numbers, so makes me wonder if they had a set of kits planned and some didn’t make it ( for whatever reason). 

So will the new kit fill one of the existing numbers or will it be no 17? 

Also note that they are all British subjects, so assume that theme will continue? 

Previous Xtrakits have all been of neglected British subjects from 1945 and onwards, with moulds mainly made in the Czech Rep.

All in 1:72 and usually with colourful marking options.

I can think of a few candidates:

Venom kits that I believe originally were made for SM models - moulded in Ukraina and struggling with distribution.  Plenty of marking options, both British, Swiss, Swedish and Kiwi.

Canberra, still some unkitted variants.

Avenger based on the Sword mouldings.

Frrom/Azur Fairey Battle - of an earlier period than other Xtrakits. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Swift was Sword as well. I don't think any of the Sword -sourced kits were released under the Sword banner. The MPM ones were different, although I know David hannant was furious when the Meteof F8 appeared in an Airfix box at half the Xtrakit proce

Interesting. It seems that somewhere after 2010 xtrakit stopped collaboration with Sword, but these guys continued into obscure British types with their Harrier T.2/4, Lightning T.4/5, Jet Provost, etc 

I think a new kit could be a collab with a new partner - not Sword or MPM/SH. Maybe MikroMir who seems to be collaborating with S&M before?

Edited by Dennis_C

9 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I think that you mean MPM/Special Hobby.  We are still waiting for FRROM-Azur's Battle.

If FRROM-Azur releases the Belgian and Greek Battles and leave the British to Xtrakit - they will cater to different home markets. 

I can`t see Hannants bringing out the old MPM mouldings and try to compete with the new ones from FRROM-Azur. 

And it is just an announcement coming, so it makes sense that it is a new and not finished moulding.

On 19/09/2022 at 07:08, Rabbit Leader said:

I think a complete new tool fishbowl Canberra is what we’re after. The S&M base kit is still a handful to put together and (according to others who know more) could be improved upon.

Cheers.. Dave 

Like a lot of kits the s&m Canberra had a few issues but mine went together ok

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Interesting. It seems that somewhere after 2010 xtrakit stopped collaboration with Sword, but these guys continued into obscure British types with their Harrier T.2/4, Lightning T.4/5, Jet Provost, etc 

I think a new kit could be a collab with a new partner - not Sword or MPM/SH. Maybe MikroMir who seems to be collaborating with S&M before?

I was slightly surprised to see this, as we've not had a new Xtrakit for eight years, and the previous answer given by Hannants was 'we have no plans at this time to issue any new Xtrakits' which makes me think they have unexpectedly gained access to tooling they hadn't expected.

26 minutes ago, br60066 said:

Have any manufacturers gone bust recently?

I see from Hannants site that they mention that they cannot buy any more Pavla. So I did wonder if that means they are bust and that might be a source of this new kit? Although looking at scalemates, can’t see any British Cold War subjects. Probably just a wild and inaccurate guess. 

24 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

I see from Hannants site that they mention that they cannot buy any more Pavla. So I did wonder if that means they are bust and that might be a source of this new kit? Although looking at scalemates, can’t see any British Cold War subjects. Probably just a wild and inaccurate guess. 

I think AZ are heavily involved with Pavla now and may have taken over their moulds ie their Messenger etc?

TT

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

If FRROM-Azur releases the Belgian and Greek Battles and leave the British to Xtrakit - they will cater to different home markets.

Boxes were announced already:

FR0046 - Fairey Battle Mk.I

• Belgium - T70 - Belgium 1940
  • AASF - PM-L - 103 Sqn RAF, France 1940
  • Greece - B274 - 33 Mira, Greece 1940

FR0047 - Fairey Battle Mk.I

• Poles in UK - GR-F, Sqn 301, UK 1940
  • RAF pre-war - 52-B - Sqn 57, UK 1937
  • Canada - tactical code 59, serial 1837 - Canada

FR0048 - Fairey Battle Mk.I

• AASF - MQ-R - 226 Sqn RAF, Rheims, France 1940
  • Australia - OO / K7600 - Air Gunnery School, Victoria, January 1942 to January 1944
  • South Africa - 33-B - Algato,  East Africa, July 1941  

9 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

I can`t see Hannants bringing out the old MPM mouldings and try to compete with the new ones from FRROM-Azur.

Old MPM is Special Hobby now and moulds for FRROM are made by Special Hobby, which will be selling Battle later under their own label, just like they did with Potez 25 or Martin 139.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I think AZ are heavily involved with Pavla now and may have taken over their moulds ie their Messenger etc?

If I remember correctly AZ Models  bought all moulds for kits from Pavla and releases them under their own label, just like Cessna Bobcat recently. Unfortunately with no improvements.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

If I remember correctly AZ Models  bought all moulds for kits from Pavla and releases them under their own label, just like Cessna Bobcat recently. Unfortunately with no improvements.

Well that’s not quite true, for example their Messenger has an acceptable Injection canopy not a vac one.. but I take your point! 🙂

• Like 1