My first Aircraft build for 40+ years. 1/72 Eduard - Spitfire F Mk.IX

Geo1966

On 26/09/2022 at 19:34, Geo1966 said:

Firstly, the fuel vent pinged from my tweezers at light speed, never to be seen again

The Carpet Monster had had it,  as a starter to it's meal! 

Looking great so far! 

Box Art can be quite confusing sometimes for colours. I say go with what you think best to your eye.

Personally i've tried lots of different paints to get the effect i wanted.  There are fewer colour pictures of WW2 aircraft compared to B&W. It's worth considering that paints on aircraft always got weathered by a number of factors e.g.  UV light, dirt, Temperature and moisture. Repaints in the field were often done locally with the only paints available mixed on site.  There seems to be a lot of variations to the standards. Probably the most contentious colour is USAAF Olive Drab.  So many many variations . It starts out a factory green then ends up brown with purple tinges in some cases!

Regards, Andy

4 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Box Art can be quite confusing sometimes for colours. I say go with what you think best to your eye.

Thanks Andy,

I tend to believe the manufactures (wrongly), which has stuffed me up a few times already. Apparently, my last build of a Chevrolet Field artillery tractor has totally the wrong camouflage pattern. Oh well, nobody got hurt and it looked ok to my eye. I don’t mind mixing paint, but it is so much easier out of a bottle or jar, so I always prefer that. May not be totally correct, but hey………………..

George

• Like 2

Didn't really find much help for basic aircraft masking on YouTube, so had to use my noggin. Anyway, hopefully this will do the job.

Mkk8Dxv.jpg

KRvlfhV.jpg

Fingers crossed 🤞

George

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Thanks Rob, hopefully you will have more luck with yours 🙂

George

You're welcome.  And thanks for the encouragement.  However, as i am a real tyro at all this I wouldn't want to dive straight into the  Eduard kit (which has arrived and looks lovely in the box!!).  Before I can begin to do it justice, I have in mind to utilise several (probably a whole herd of) mules first to try out the various tchniques I've been drinking in from yours and all the other wonderful examples around here.   So maybe this time next year .............🤔.   So in the meantime I'll just track your efforts for now.    Have you managed to do anything about the windscreen?

cheers

Rob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I HATE mixing paint so this is my approach too

I have also found that if you get the same colour from different manufactures they all seem to be slightly different shades. For instance, German grey from Tamiya, Ammo Mig and AK are all different so you can end up with a base colour and then a lighter and highlight colour. Maybe more for AFV modelling, but you get the idea.

George

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zephyr91 said:

Have you managed to do anything about the windscreen?

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Glad you continued and got a windscreen on.

I have used the broken windscreen, so it will look bad, but will worry about that after i have the blue on.

Think this is really just practice for me now and this will not be going anywhere near the display cabinet.

George

• Like 1

Blue is on!

Gave it a couple of coats of Vallejo Model Air 71.313 Dark Med Blue then added a bit of Ammo Mig Dunkelbraun 0007 (sort of cream colour) to tone it down. Then sprayed a sort of dust coat mostly concentrated on the top surfaces.

wTxEgsO.jpg

g3s1wTP.jpg

Not sure if it is acurate, but i like the colour! 🙂

George

• Like 2

Another thing i wonder if i should have done earlier.........................Masking the yellow wing tips?

QHhfRBp.jpg

Anyway, a bit of toilet roll and some tamiya tape. Then some 40+ year old Tamiya Yellow (32ml bottle, if anybody remembers them?). Actually found it thinned better with a bit of water. If only the formula was still the same, as the old paint used to brush soooooo much better.

ANZe4p9.jpg

Turned out ok ish. Spinner/props need some attention me thinks.

George

• Like 5

• 3 months later...