My first Aircraft build for 40+ years. 1/72 Eduard - Spitfire F Mk.IX

Geo1966

Since my return to the hobby about 3 years ago, I have only been making 1/35 AFV’s. However, having recently taken part in the Canadian GB (my effort here) and looking at the many aircraft builds it got me interested in trying one myself. I did use to make aircraft as a nipper, but as the title says it was over 40 years ago.

Hopefully my AFV modelling experience will give me some help, but I appreciate this will be a learning curve for me. Sure, I will have a few questions along the way, so any help will be appreciated.

I posted a topic a couple of months ago asking for model recommendations and the Eduard Spitfire was mentioned a few times, so I have gone with that. I wanted an easy-ish paint job, so I have ended up with the MK.IX which I am going to do in the Malta scheme. I also decided to get the weekend addition to avoid the PE on my first build.

oLJBtlx.jpg

29DHLHl.jpg

George

• Like 9

Made a bit of progress already, got the cab cockpit together. Managed to get the instrument panel decal folded in half and truly stuck together. After 20 mins of cursing and trying to unfold it, i gave up and had to bin it. So i have had to go with a bit of dry brushing 🙄

zj1EdSL.jpg  n6Ch8i7.jpg

For some reason my phone makes the seat look really glossy, but its not.

George

• Like 13

Welcome back to aircraft. My very first model on returning to the hobby was an Airfix 1/72 king tiger and my first aircraft was a (terrible) Airfix Mitsubishi zero.  

I don’t think the kit itself is that important but the subject needs to be something you like.

Your AFVs are superb and the spitfire is looking great so far. Hard to put my finger on  it, while the skills and techniques for AFVs and Aircraft are fairly similar I find modelling them totally  different and I enjoy both. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tentacles said:

Off to a good start!

Thanks Tentacles

6 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Good work👍 I'm building the Mk 8 at the moment and am just a wee bit ahead of you. These are lovely kits packed with details. I hope your enjoying it as much as I am.

Thanks Greg, I am enjoying it so far. I don't want to offend anybody, but having never build a Eduard kit before I am finding it a bit like Tamiya. The parts almost click in to place, fantastic! I guess my next question is why doesn't Mr Eduard make 1/35 AFV's? Demand i guess 🤔

6 hours ago, Marklo said:

Hard to put my finger on  it, while the skills and techniques for AFVs and Aircraft are fairly similar I find modelling them totally  different and I enjoy both. 

Hi Marklo, i think the building side of things transfers well i.e. stick plastic bits together. My current concern is when it comes to painting and weathering, things could get a bit more difficult for me as an AFV modeller.

George

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geo1966 said:

My current concern is when it comes to painting and weathering, things could get a bit more difficult for me as an AFV modeller.

Funnily enough I think of Aircraft construction as building and less as painting whereas AFVs I see as much more of a painting and weathering excercise. As a rule I generally don’t weather my aircraft however the French F100 I’m just finishing is weathered owing to the fact that  the subject is so scruffy  I couldn’t leave it pristine.

I do preshade and sometimes post shade aircraft as this gives a bit more visual interest. Others favour marbelling or black basing to give the same results. Not entirely different to modulation on AFVs.

Generally those who do weather their aircraft will focus on panel lines where things like oilbrushers, paynes grey washes and flory washes are used ( @The Spadgent is pretty good at that kind of thing so I’d check out some of his WIPs) moderate wear and tear, wing roots, access panel chipping and exhaust stains which in some machines are very characteristic and something of a trademark ( I’m thinking FW190 or Lancasters here) 

But like most things modelling so long as you’re enjoying it that’s all you need.

Edited by Marklo

Thanks @Marklo, that is both interesting and informative. Guess i will see how it goes when i get to the painting stage.

On this build i am trying to buy as little paint and extras as i can, as it is an experiment to see if i enjoy building aircraft. To that end i am planning to either use enamel washes or oil paints for the panel lines. 🤞I will get away with it.

George

35 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

To that end i am planning to either use enamel washes or oil paints for the panel lines

I’ve only bought a tube of Windsor & newton paynes grey oil specifically  for aircraft weathering otherwise I just use my trusty AK streaking grime or my regular paints.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RunRookieRun said:

Have you decided on a blue yet?

Thanks Rookie. In the instructions it says it was painted in Dark Mediterranean blue, so I picked up Vallejo model air 71.313, but it looks really dark. Not sure if it is correct?

https://www.scalemates.com/colors/vallejo-model-air--763/71313-dark-mediterranean-blue-acrylic-matt--10538

George

7 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

Thanks Rookie. In the instructions it says it was painted in Dark Mediterranean blue, so I picked up Vallejo model air 71.313, but it looks really dark. Not sure if it is correct?

https://www.scalemates.com/colors/vallejo-model-air--763/71313-dark-mediterranean-blue-acrylic-matt--10538

George

That is my struggle as well. Looking at the colors normally used for this build they all seem a little dark in my eyes. I guess it might be correct accuracy wise, but I might try and find a lighter shade that looks a bit closer to how I perceive the box-art. 

Managed to get a bit of work done on this over the weekend.

MOpjkTO.jpg

The body and wings seemed to go together quite well.

1Ag1K3J.jpg

I would like to withdraw my statement about this being like Tamiya! The wing tips and the engine cowling (think thats the right word) were not a good fit.

NVE7O2m.jpg

W4JfIwe.jpg

Maybe i cleaned them up to much or did something else wrong? Strange the cowling is in 2 pieces, sure others have commented on this.

Anyway it is starting to look like an aircraft. Next job is to get the filler out!

1Ag1K3J.jpg

George

• Like 6

Progressing well, great start.  That cowling is annoying,  they did the same on the 1/48 kits too and then sold a resin replacement which was too long!!! Ended up buying the Barracuda replacement cowling.  

Hope the rest of your build goes well.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

That cowling is annoying

Thanks Chris. I find it strange that they make such a nice kit then seem to do a Friday afternoon job on the cowling.

George

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

Thanks Chris. I find it strange that they make such a nice kit then seem to do a Friday afternoon job on the cowling.

George

It is a bit odd, however, it is modelling I suppose, and nothing that cannot be overcome, they do look wonderful kits, I have an Eduard Mk.IX in the stash and seeing all the Spitfires on the go at the moment and the Unofficial GB of Mk.XIVs at the moment which I am part of has got me hankering to do more,  so might even have to give the Eduard kit a go?  Although I might have to do a Seafire instead 🤔

Chris

• Like 2

In an effort to minimize sanding and removal of details I have used Vallejo Plastic Putty to try and fill the gaps. I applied it sparingly, then after a couple of minutes wiped the excess off with a moistened cotton bud. Hopefully with a bit of light sanding/polishing and a re-scribe of the panel details it will do the job. Guess I won’t know properly until I give it a primer coat, but fingers crossed.

rpBs7u6.jpg

George

• Like 6

On 9/21/2022 at 7:59 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Although I might have to do a Seafire instead 🤔

Hi Chris, i was actually looking to get the Airfix 1/72 Seafire, but it is currently out of production (i think). Looking on scalemates there are lots of other options, but no idea which kits are the best.

Maybe my next build?

George

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geo1966 said:

Hi Chris, i was actually looking to get the Airfix 1/72 Seafire, but it is currently out of production (i think). Looking on scalemates there are lots of other options, but no idea which kits are the best.

Maybe my next build?

George

Hi George 

Is that from the Seafire, Swordfish and Wildcat VI FAA set, as I'll be interested to see what that one is like.  

One I have built in 72nd scale is the Freight dog models Hooked Spitfire BL676 (Bondowoso) which was the first Airframe to have a hook fitted and used for Landing trials etc.  It used the KP Mk.V and some extra parts, was a very enjoyable build. Worth seeking out .  There are some lovely kits out there.  Sword do some nice Seafire kits but not built one myself .

Good luck with the search

Chris

Have been pottering on with this and it is starting to look like a Spitfire, however………………….

iCSeNRj.jpg

I have been making some right royal c-ups! Firstly, the fuel vent pinged from my tweezers at light speed, never to be seen again. So, I filled the hole and used a drill to try and make an indent. Don’t think it is quite central 🙄

M2Wih53.jpg

Secondly and even worse, while I was trying to mask up the front canopy, I managed to snap it in half. Disaster, was going to chuck the whole thing, but think I will try and stick it together and finish the model. As it is my first aircraft for some time, I think it will be worth finishing it to go through the painting and weathering stage……………….and then bin it :wall:

fO7qula.jpg

Do people generally attach canopy’s prior to masking, or is this just down to my club fingers?

George

• Like 5

Yes keep going George,  these things are sent to try us.  Did you get any spare windscreens in the Eduard kit?

You could try and contact Eduard to see if they will sell or even give you a new clear sprue, although I think they may ask you to order something and send it along with your order.

I think some mask before and some mask after they have glued the windscreen in place from what I have seen , being a brush painter I have no need to mask as any that goes outside of the lines I take off with a cocktail stick .

Good luck

Chris 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please don't stop!  I am about to take the plunge with my first model for many years and I'm finding this so helpful.  There are so many tools and products that have emerged since I last had a go that it's bewildering.  So seeing how you used the plastic putty was a very useful example.   And on the basis of your thread I have ordered the same model!  Who could resist a blue Spitfire? 😎

If you can muster the mojo, please keep going for the sake of us beginners.   

regards

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bit more progress. I have tried a couple of different "primer" paints before, but didn't get on with them, so i generally like to use a coat of Tamiya XF as my primer. I find it covers and adheres well. In this case i used XF-66 Light grey. I guess i would have been better using XF-83 Medium sea grey, but i haven't got any. After a couple of thin coats it showed up that a bit more filling was needed.

q6CvEtS.jpg

Was feeling a bit lazy, so didn't bother with another coat of Tamiya after the filling. Instead i gave it a couple of thin coats of AK RAF medium Sea Grey (AK11843). This is the first time i have sprayed the AK 3rd generation paints. It sort of implies you don't need to thin it, but you definately do! Anyway it seems to have covered ok.

5adCmjU.jpg

Next up is the masking before the lovely Dark Mediterranean Blue. Never masked up an aircraft before so i will be checking it out on YouTube.

George

• Like 6