AMP Westland Gazelle 1/48th

gazza l

Hi everyone.

Just finished this kit after a bit of a modelling hiatus over the summer. I've always liked the Gazelle particularly in the RAF training colours so I was quite pleased when AMP announced the release of a new tool kit.

Not a bad kit, some nice extra details including a few 3d printed parts and a sheet of 3d decal control panels (although due to the transparencies being a bit unclear they are difficult to appreciate), plus a set of vinyl masks but they missed out the rear passenger window masks for some reason. Also the small nose P code is missing from the decal sheet.

Painted mainly with MRP and Alclad lacquers and finished with Alclad semi gloss cote.

Thanks for looking.

gazza l  

DSC_1586 (2)

DSC_1587 (2)

DSC_1588 (2)

DSC_1589 (2)

DSC_1591 (2)

DSC_1588 (2)

• Like 67

Lovely model of the Gazelle, must say they are one of the loudest helicopters I've ever heard, you should hear one start up on the ground!

I see what you mean about the transparency issues, do you know if this affects all the kits or produced or is this something that slipped through quality control? 

I assume you used clear paints over the Alclad metal colour to produce the heat staining on the engine exhaust (only just getting into heat staining properly myself!)?

Would you say it's worth the price tag too?

Anyways, a fantastic model and sorry for all the questions!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, MBM said:

Lovely model of the Gazelle, must say they are one of the loudest helicopters I've ever heard, you should hear one start up on the ground!

I see what you mean about the transparency issues, do you know if this affects all the kits or produced or is this something that slipped through quality control? 

I assume you used clear paints over the Alclad metal colour to produce the heat staining on the engine exhaust (only just getting into heat staining properly myself!)?

Would you say it's worth the price tag too?

Anyways, a fantastic model and sorry for all the questions!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark

Yes, they made a very recognisable sound, always loved the RN Shark display team... Astazou X 4 or even 6 if your very old.

I've no idea about the quality of other kits transparencies but I suspect that they are all the same as the kit seems to be of a short run nature. I did try dipping them in Klear which didn't make much of an improvement.  

The exhaust staining was done using aluminium and then over sprayed with hotmetal sepia and blue.

And yes I think £40 is a little overpriced for a kit of this size and quality... but what isn't these days!

Cheers, Gary

I was doing a start one day on these with an experienced instructor who was flying a solo. There I was standing to one side and indication to start the noise was repeated. Speed starts to build up and there was this almighty flame out the back (some 6/7 feet) and I nearly pulled the fire extinguisher pin, but it went away. Pilot and I looked at each other (he had the door open) and the wide eyes and raised eyebrows look we exchanged was comical. He continued to go flying. When he landed I spoke to him and said you should have seen it from my view. He said the EGT went from 0-650 degrees in an instant. Strange how you remember these things!.

• Like 2

A lovely looking Gazelle, great work , I do love the look of these and have the Airfix kit with decals to do one of the RN Sharks display team models. 

I did have it quite near the top of the stash  but some unofficial GBs have distracted me, but this has peaked my interest again so thanks for sharing.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1