1/72 Airfix AVRO Vulcan B.2

VG 33

Hello

Here is my last build with this 1/72 Airfix AVRO Vulcan B.2 in the early 1960s.

XL321 was in front line service with No 617 Squadron which at the time was the first Vulcan squadron with the Blue Steel missile.

If you remember some years ago I built the Vickers Valiant in overall white and I could not resist to do the same with this big bomber.

The decals came from the previous Airfix Vulcan box. I added the wheels from Armory and used some scale masks from ASK.

I can say the kit is easy but long to build even if I had to fix a part of the port leading edge which suffered from a lack of material. I showed this drawback on another subject here.

I think later I will build the Victor in the same colours.

Patrick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 63

1 hour ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Very impressive! The white scheme can't have been easy to pull off!

Thank you very much.

For the white scheme I first airbrushed an irregular black paint along the panel lines and next I covered everything with highly thinned white paint. It was easy but time consuming. And time is the main component of our hobby. Both black and white are gloss Tamiya paint. 
next came two layers of Alclad aqua gloss varnish.

When I compare with my Valiant where I used the same process ten years ago this one is now yellowish but I cannot say if it is due to the white paint or the varnish.

Patrick.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Hello

Here is my last build with this 1/72 Airfix AVRO Vulcan B.2 in the early 1960s.

XL321 was in front line service with No 617 Squadron which at the time was the first Vulcan squadron with the Blue Steel missile.

If you remember some years ago I built the Vickers Valiant in overall white and I could not resist to do the same with this big bomber.

The decals came from the previous Airfix Vulcan box. I added the wheels from Armory and used some scale masks from ASK.

I can say the kit is easy but long to build even if I had to fix a part of the port leading edge which suffered from a lack of material. I showed this drawback on another subject here.

I think later I will build the Victor in the same colours.

Patrick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well done of a big beast.

Alain

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

That's very smartly done.

(Have you missed unmasking the bomb-aimer's window?)

Hello. Thank you.

I have checked and no I haven't forgotten to mask it. This is just the light when taking the picture.

Patrick

spacer.png