1/48 Upper Heyford F-111 with some delicious resin parts

This is marvellous. I’ve always been amazed with this aircraft, one of my earliest memories was watching a 111 in an air show where it was by far the loudest aircraft of the day. What presence it had, a true beast. You’ve done a great job with this, thanks for sharing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nailed it! Your colors and weathering are dead-nuts on and brings back a lot of memories. Thank you.

I was the crew chief of 68-077 from Aug '80 to approx Dec '80. At the time, 20th OMS Red Section was near the 55th TFS, and Blue Section was near the 77th TFS. The powers that be decided that this made no sense, and ordered a switch. And overnight, we went from being 20th OMS Red Section, to 20th OMS Blue Section. I lost 077, but I inherited 68-055, the 55th TFS/CCs aircraft. And thus began an infamous love/hate relationship only a crew chief can understand.

Edited by Ridley
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Came back for another look at this, it looks spot on for camo colours and shape.

Love the F-111, reminds me of the 80's.

How was the fit of the Reskit parts, was the cockpit a drop fit?

Thanks.

Yes, the fit is very good. Still, it's gluing a large resin part to plastic with super glue, so mating the parts must be perfect.

René

• Like 1

An incredible F-111 you have there. Wonderful build and finish. Well done! 

Like others here, I miss the Varks in UK skies and the many occasions spent hugging the fence at Lakenheath watching the 48th TFW F-111s come and go.

• Like 1

That is a thing of beauty!

I managed to pick up 2 Hasegawa F-111 kits at Duxford the other weekend for £20, took them both to storage with the rest of the stash, but now I'm thinking I might have to go and get them!

• Like 1

A superb build of this kit.  The enhancement of the cockpit was worth it.  Of course, even though the resin parts are quite detailed, it takes some skill, effort, time and persistence to take that resin part and then make sure it is painted, weathered and presented in its best light.  You have done that with this kit.  Simply wonderful.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

A great reminder of my youth, where I grew up in South Wales was under one of the main transit routes into the Low Flying Areas of mid Wales, we would get all sorts over flying us but F-111's were by far the most regular sight and sound back in the 70's & 80's.

Lovely build, I had one of these years ago but sold it on, now the Resicast stuff is available I should really seek another one out.

• Like 1