Film star! 'Battle of Britain' movie Hurricane 1/48

Well, I finally got around to weathering the Hurricane!

To round out a Battle of Britain movie build, I just had to have a Hurricane. So, I modified an old 1/48 Hobbycraft Hurricane Mk IIc into a Canadian produced Mk IIb, with a lot of scratch building, detail parts from a scrapped Ark Hurricane Mk 1, and various parts from the spare parts bin.

It is * F, H3418 flown by Squadron Leader Harvey (Christopher Plummer) in the opening airfield staffing scene.

The Bob Diemert restored aircraft (CCF c/n 42012, registered as CF-SMI, C-GWPH, and G-AWLW) was in fact a CCF Hurricane Mk IIb. It had the 3 stack round exhaust (not fishtail), it did not have the Mk II style 'kinked' tail wheel, but the earlier Mk I style tail wheel, blanked off generator cooling pipes, no oil collection channel on the upper cowl behind the spinner, A Hamilton Standard prop, and the unique 'Canadian' spinner.

Also, I've discovered that this Hurricane made its way eventually to Hamilton, Ontario, only to be destroyed in the same hangar fire that destroyed Spitfire Mk IXc MK297 (another BofB movie vet, marked as AI*A in the 'taka taka taka' scene), an Avenger, an Auster, and a Turb-Commander, Feb 15, 1993.

Many thanks to all on this site that offered info, suggestions and critiques.

WIP -

WIP build posts

2 6

I know, too many photo's already. well, just one more ...

After the fire, the Hamilton aviation museum replaced (?) the lost Hurricane with this fibreglass mockup, a very realistic 1 to 1 scale kit!  (I want one!)

Hamiltons fibreglass Hurricane

Thanks for looking,

Colin

• Like 55
  • Thanks 2