XE601 Hawker Hunter A&AEE 1988 Revell 1/32

speedy

As per my Sea Fury just posted this was finished only a couple of weeks ago.

This is the 1/32 scale FGA.9 kit made up to be 601 in the proper colours in my view. This is how I remember it when working at BD and I never felt it wore the ripple paint scheme very well. So it was my intention to build it up as a TWCU aircraft with some nice shiney SNEBs, however soon as I started those voices said otherwise. The kit is as has been mentioned with the usual pit falls but mainly it a very underestimated kit and super value. The cockpit had the extra couple of instruments added and all along I intended to add a pilot (courtesy of PJ) and in this stance. I wanted to imagine that engine is running just prior to leaving the line. The Porton tanks were made using extensive references and I used my 3D printer for the flat noses. First time I’ve used it in anger and they were mated to the kit tanks. Then the very visual weld lines and the filling cap above the nose was added. The spray tube from round tube drilled out. I then added 10 thou plasticard wrapped around the body of the tank. I left a small join line on the sides and used decals to replicate the tightening braces on the sides. They were both then sprayed Gloss appliance white. The fuel tanks sprayed red and a little wear on the noses added by using the dabbing of a sponge method. Aircraft was then painted and some sun bleaching added to some panels of the red spine. The badge on the fin is of A squadron which they added on some of the fleet occasionally. The square non standard item under the cockpit in leu of the gun compartment is a TACAN system added some time ago, but over the years it had various colours added to it. Oh the worn white outline on the fin flash is on purpose!.

52363808368_e93996a36c_c.jpg

52363808343_4004f67e0d_c.jpg

52363577676_845907383e_c.jpg

52364001625_b37f8f4f45_c.jpg

52362639477_f222557ca5_c.jpg

52363808258_4e964a2edc_c.jpg

52363889549_256c1bece3_c.jpg

52364001540_99eb4005be_c.jpg

52363808203_2326a8fa5b_c.jpg

52363889459_20846a36d9_c.jpg

52364001495_b80b364b7d_c.jpg

Edited by speedy
  • Like 58
  • Thanks 3

Reading your post feels like a special treat as Hunters are a favourite of mine 👍

I've got the same kit in my stash. It's due for an eagerly-looked-forward-to build. Hopefully in the next few weeks, once I have a few more kits under my belt.

Currently not sure what colour scheme to try on mine.

Did you use any of the supplied decals with the kit, and if so - how did they react (I think mine maybe a decade or so old)?

• Like 1

A lovely build! Love the livery and pilot in that pose especially! I think it's a shame some manufactures don't include pilots as much these days as I think it can really bring some life and character to a kit and that PJ pilot really elevates the whole build!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 8:35 PM, Winded Penguin said:

Reading your post feels like a special treat as Hunters are a favourite of mine 👍

I've got the same kit in my stash. It's due for an eagerly-looked-forward-to build. Hopefully in the next few weeks, once I have a few more kits under my belt.

Currently not sure what colour scheme to try on mine.

Did you use any of the supplied decals with the kit, and if so - how did they react (I think mine maybe a decade or so old)?

Hiya, yes I used some decals and they were fine. I even used Micro soft/set with gritted teeth but they took it. The only issue I had was with the under wing letters from my spares stash which did crack, but that added to the wear.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice :). I remember her well from the Priory and Elder Forest exercises in the 1980s when she would perform a low fast pass over Wattisham in a simulated chemical attack :)

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...