Bond Bug

This is one of those kits that never made it into my stash. I came across the new 1/24 scale resin (trans)kit from Airtrax at a show during the summer, it was impossible to resist buying it and I started playing with the parts as soon as I got back home. It's a very nice effort with well made parts, but they label it as a transkit as it needs tyres (Tamiya Mini suggested) and a number of smaller parts to be complete.

I decided to draw up a set of most missing parts in my 3D cad and have them printed, and my friend Johan Brusefält drew the front and rear tyres. While we were at it he also drew new rear wheels as those supplied in the kit didn't quite match the Exacton or Dunlop D1 that were used. What is seen here are the Exacton wheels.

The exhaust system, the small parts around the pedals and some hardly visible details on the engine have been scratch built. There was a sheet of decals supplied in the kit, but I decided to draw and print them all from scratch on my own using my OKI/Alps printer. I had a lot of thinking and some interesting discussions here on BM about a good choice of license plates. In the end the choice was done easily, when finally looking in the original Bond Bug sales brochure.

Here are some photos of the finished model. It's a pain to photograph; or rather I am useless at handling the camera, as the orange paint comes out in all sorts of shades, mostly too dark, in all photos. The brighter are most like the rear model. The build thread can be found here. It was a joy to build it, and thanks for all support during the work, I hope you enjoy the photos.

BB200.jpg

BB201.jpg

BB202.jpg

BB203.jpg

BB204.jpg

BB205.jpg

BB206.jpg

BB207.jpg

BB208.jpg

BB209.jpg

BB210.jpg

BB211.jpg

BB212.jpg

BB213.jpg

BB214.jpg

BB215.jpg

BB216.jpg

BB217.jpg

BB218.jpg

• Like 49
  • Thanks 1

Spectacular little model Jörgen! It's not a car I'd like to drive in, but you made it look fantastic. I don't think there's anything you could have done better. 

• Thanks 1

Another really beautiful model Jörgen, lovely paint and excellent detaling! And a thoroughly enjoyable build thread again!

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Scary that people drove those things.

They still do - saw one mixing it with typically busy modern traffic on the M4 a couple of weeks ago....!!!

Keith 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A beautiful model of a horrible car!

Back in the early 1980's I worked for a motorcycle dealership that was also a Reliant agent. Every single person I knew who had driven one, whether they were elderly or young, had rolled it on it's side. Repairs and repaints of the the sides were standard.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been good to see this come together in your build thread, it's turned out to be a lovely model as I think we all knew it would. The photography isn't half bad either.

These are a bit before my time, but my understanding was that the must-have accessory amongst owners was a bag of cement in the passenger footwell.

• Thanks 1

Simply fabulous. 

8 minutes ago, Spiny said:

my understanding was that the must-have accessory amongst owners was a bag of cement in the passenger footwell.

That's a new one to me. But the bag of cement in the front of the Hillman Imp was often done.

Superb! Now looking at the 'K' registration that's about 1971 by my reconning, our VW Beetle was a 1965 'C' registration as it was one new letter per year then. This is just as I remembered them on the road in this colour with the famous Cosmic Alloy Wheels.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Spiny said:

my understanding was that the must-have accessory amongst owners was a bag of cement in the passenger footwell.

This reminds me of a tale told to me by a friend.

He had a friend in London who owned a T2 Transporter. He had fitted a Porsche 911 engine, not sure how powerful, powerful enough to perform a wheelie under hard acceleration!

Apparently, the owner had put two concrete paving slabs in the front of the vehicle to put more weight over the front wheels. Whether this is possible, I don't know, but it makes for a good story... :)

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan R said:

Apparently, the owner had put two concrete paving slabs in the front of the vehicle to put more weight over the front wheels. Whether this is possible, I don't know, but it makes for a good story... :)

If you recall the Hillman Imp, or Puddle Jumper as we knew it when I was a sprog, they performed much better in corners with a bag of cement or aggregate in the back or front.  I forget which now :hmmm:My neighbour owned a rather delopilated example, and a guy I worked with had been a petrol head in his youth, so had a bit of experience in modding rubbish 60/70s cars :) 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Mike said:

If you recall the Hillman Imp, or Puddle Jumper as we knew it when I was a sprog, they performed much better in corners with a bag of cement or aggregate in the back or front.  I forget which now

Not much room in the back Mike - it's stuffed full of engine! :)

Now, a 1/24 Hillman Imp would be good...!! 

Keith

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

A truly amazing model of a truly awful car.  Brilliantly executed, especially given the need for scratching & scrounging to complete the parts set.  Great detail and finish - lovely job!

• Thanks 1