Research: 1/144 Airfix Concorde G-BSST

I realized that since the announcement the GB was extended to include "Research" and "Record Breakers".

I wanted to build one in each category so I have to add a "Research" entry, that could be under "Prototype" and "Record Breaker" as well.

Enter the first British built Concorde

IMG-20220917-093349.jpg
IMG-20220917-093444.jpg

I am doubtful that I could complete all five but I use GBs to start building models, not to finish them, this is what KUTA is for :)

IMG-20220917-093748.jpg

• Like 13

17 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear Pin

Will you build the Concorde on a stand or its undercarriage? I have the same decal set, I just need the plastic😊

Regards Toby

Gear down. Airfix has recently reissued this pretty basic kit so it is not hard to find. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some (quite a long) time ago I also started Tu-144 68001 prototype from ancient Entex kit that required a lot of shape correcting and currently dormant in the vaults of the shelve of doom. Maybe this project would re-ignite the spark

IMG-20221003-141859.jpg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well thats some impressive work, looks like the intakes were different lengths in one photo. However in a later photo it seems to be straight and equal ? 

Intakes are not attached. And yes, they were of wrong length (and shape) so I had to perform some surgery 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear Pin

My favourite gloss white paint is Tamiya gloss white in a spray can over Tamiya white spray can primer. Takes some coats but the results are worth it.

regards Toby

Thanks Toby, 

I prefer Halford's Appliance White over Mr. Surfacer 

43 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Good work on 'Concordski', never did like that name. I must say it looks like most of my builds....tons of filler, I have my own quarry nearby for the raw materials...😉

Do not use it then :) , I am getting mad then Tu-144 is called this way, especially taking into account that it flew before the Concorde. 

• Like 1

To quote @Martian 'The Devil's Toothpaste' appearing in a build is never a good sign.

Very good start and a well organised work area with everything to hand.

On 10/8/2022 at 5:36 PM, Pin said:

Do not use it then :) , I am getting mad then Tu-144 is called this way, especially taking into account that it flew before the Concorde. 

I never realised that Concord was second to the Tu-144 - every day is a school day. It's sad that it never got developed to it's full potential as the USSR would offer good routes for it just internally.

53 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

'The Devil's Toothpaste'  

Can you educate me on what is "Devil's Toothpaste'?  English is not my first language and sometimes I got flabbergasted and confused :) 

55 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

It's sad that it never got developed to it's full potential as the USSR would offer good routes for it just internally.

Even if Soviets solved its design flaws, the largest of which was "large component design" where larger parts developed larger fatigue cracks, it would never be economically justifiable under Soviet system. Too expensive, and there were no billionaires who would pay extra few grand to get to the destination a couple of hours quicker. It was dead from the cradle. 

• Like 1

Serious problem, the belly is almost flat

IMG-20221016-112926.jpg

There is a well defined step on the real thing

Belly.jpg

I recalled that I have another Airfix Concorde kit somewhere in the vaults, it depicts the belly profile correctly

IMG-20221016-112912.jpg

IMG-20221016-112901.jpg

I am starting to thinking about kitbashing, perhaps it will be easier to base the model on the later kit.  In this case the wing will also require some modification, the prototype has smaller wingspan and less ogival

IMG-20221016-112248.jpg

Something to think about

• Like 2