A pair of 1/72 Buccaneers - finished

Builds two and three for me will be a pair of Buccaneers in 1/72, using the new tool Airfix kit. It'll be a few weeks before I start on these as I've got a few aftermarket goodies on their way from Hannants, so this is a placeholder for now.

First one will be XK527. This was (I think) an NA39 which was later upgraded to S.2D standard and used as a trials aircraft by Hawker Siddeley at Holme-on-Spalding-Moor. I can't find any public domain photos online but there are a couple in this thread on Fightercontrol:

https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38506

This aircraft features on a Kits World decal sheet, which I bought with a Bucc with a Tornado GR.1 nose in mind, but I can't really go past the big dayglo 'HOSM' on the belly. I've also ordered some Sea Eagles from Air-Graphic to hang under the wings.

The second one will be the yellow and green A&AEE Bucc XW988, with decals from Xtradecal. This one was (I think) used for weapons trials but I've never seen a photo of it with anything under the wings - does anyone have any info or photos to share?

cheers

Julian

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, zebra said:

Builds two and three for me will be a pair of Buccaneers in 1/72, using the new tool Airfix kit. It'll be a few weeks before I start on these as I've got a few aftermarket goodies on their way from Hannants, so this is a placeholder for now.

First one will be XK527. This was (I think) an NA39 which was later upgraded to S.2D standard and used as a trials aircraft by Hawker Siddeley at Holme-on-Spalding-Moor. I can't find any public domain photos online but there are a couple in this thread on Fightercontrol:

https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38506

This aircraft features on a Kits World decal sheet, which I bought with a Bucc with a Tornado GR.1 nose in mind, but I can't really go past the big dayglo 'HOSM' on the belly. I've also ordered some Sea Eagles from Air-Graphic to hang under the wings.

The second one will be the yellow and green A&AEE Bucc XW988, with decals from Xtradecal. This one was (I think) used for weapons trials but I've never seen a photo of it with anything under the wings - does anyone have any info or photos to share?

cheers

Julian

Ive got a boat load of photos of XW986 the sister in green, white, & yellow. Sadly nothing with any weapons underneath, Sorry wish I could help. 

• Thanks 1

Please excuse my enthusiasm for this project Julian but the Bucc is one of my favourite aircraft. You've picked two rather cool examples to represent and therefore I'm really looking forward to watching your progress :) 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Col. said:

Please excuse my enthusiasm for this project Julian but the Bucc is one of my favourite aircraft. You've picked two rather cool examples to represent and therefore I'm really looking forward to watching your progress :) 

Thanks Col. It's one of my favourites too. Which is why I'm slightly perplexed that I haven't built one of these lovely looking kits before and I also haven't bought the new 1/48 kit yet (it's bound to happen sooner or later). I have a slightly mad scheme in mind to build every possible Bucc variant and colour scheme (including NA39 and all the trials and research aircraft) which might go some way to explaining why I'm not doing this in 1/72.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zebra said:

it's bound to happen sooner or later

There was something about seeing these words on the page that made me realise that it was inevitable that I'd buy the 1/48 kit so I might as well order one. Which I've just done.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, zebra said:

There was something about seeing these words on the page that made me realise that it was inevitable that I'd buy the 1/48 kit so I might as well order one. Which I've just done.

Good move Julian. Best to get in there before they go out of stock or the price rises ;) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've made a start on XK527 - just assembled a few bits and primed them, not enough progress to bother photographing yet. Meanwhile I'm changing my plan for the S.2B - I didn't think about the bulged bomb bay of the S.2B when I bought the kit, which has the wrong bomb bay for the yellow and green ones. I think I'll see about finding some decals for a raspberry ripple example.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, zebra said:

..I'm changing my plan for the S.2B - I didn't think about the bulged bomb bay of the S.2B when I bought the kit, which has the wrong bomb bay for the yellow and green ones. I think I'll see about finding some decals for a raspberry ripple example.

Oh no, now you need another kit to do the yellow and green one ;) 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking on with the first Bucc:

Buccaneer WIP

There's some Eduard pre-painted PE in the cockpit. I took a photo before closing it up, but it didn't turn out very well so I've not posted it. All gone together pretty well so far, seems to be a very well engineered kit.

Decals (a selection of raspberry ripple jets by Two Six) for the other one turned up this week. It's going to be this one:

Buccaneer S.2B XW987 A&AEE Fairford 94

as seen at a wet Fairford in 1994. Those were the days...

Probably won't start the second Bucc for a little while yet - need to make some progress with the F-106B and the Fireflash Meteor for the Meteor STGB (but which would also qualify for this one).

more soon

Julian

• Like 11

More progress - an almost complete airframe. This Bucc had a long probe on the nose, which I plan to add before I start painting - it's currently on the 3D printer, along with an extra pitot as this Bucc had one on each wing, and pylons for the Sea Eagles.

Buccaneer WIP

I should be able to get the nose probe on tomorrow, which will mean I can start painting this weekend. Meanwhile I've found a couple of photos of XW987 with something under its wings - a buddy refuelling pod, and a slipper tank on the other side - so will need to find a suitable buddy pod for the second Bucc.

cheers

Julian

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Decals on. But I've gone an knocked off both the pitot and the refuelling probe. Both should be fixable though.

Buccaneer WIP 2

Buccaneer WIP

Meanwhile I got a bit more paint on some interior bits for the second Bucc, will be able to start assembly soon.

more soon

Julian

• Like 13