I've been looking forward to this GB all year and now it's nearly upon us I can't wait to get started. I've got heaps of ideas for builds, but as I've got to get the Canadian GB finished (once that's done, all my modelling will be in this GB until it finishes) I'll start with something fairly straightforward - a French Mirage F1C in a Tiger Meet scheme, using the Special Hobby 1/72 kit and Syhart decals. I'll post a photo of the kit later, here's the scheme:

090_plan01_700.jpg

cheers

Julian

• Like 14

17 hours ago, Col. said:

You've picked a bright one to open your campaign here Julian B)  Cracking choice.

Certainly have! Between this and the yellow and green Bucc I'm going to have to stock up on yellow paint.

• Haha 1

Here's the box shot plus the limited aftermarket I'm using - basically the decal sheet and a mask - plus, as I said, I've stocked up on yellow paint!

Special Hobby Mirage F1

The kit looks very nice. Once upon a time Special Hobby kits were thought of as short run, this looks every bit as good as anything we'd call mainstream. Looking forward to getting started tomorrow.

cheers

Julian

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Col. said:

You certainly appear to be ready for the flag dropping tomorrow :) 

I was born ready!

Started this morning. And I've got to this stage already:

Mirage F1 WIP

This might not take very long.

more soon

Julian

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, stevej60 said:

Great choice Julian,my youngest just did the Iranian version of this kit had a look at the sprue's and very impressed.

It's a lovely little kit, I could build more of them. The Spanish and Moroccan schemes in the box look very nice but aren't at all suitable for this GB.

• Like 1

Good afternoon Julian

Very interesting subject of course I  will follow your build

If you have another box of this very nice kit in your stash may I suggest that you keep it for next year and the Marcel Bloch / Dassault Aviation Gb ?

Patrice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

If you have another box of this very nice kit in your stash

I don't but it wouldn't be a surprise if another one found its way into the stash! Now that they've started on the Mirage III hopefully that kit will be just as nice.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2022 at 11:49 AM, zebra said:

I was born ready!

Started this morning. And I've got to this stage already:

Mirage F1 WIP

This might not take very long.

more soon

Julian

Gets you to the painting stage sooner ;)

• 2 weeks later...

That is coming together nicely

51 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Time for loads more then.

..although that looks to be a busy enough workbench as is :o 

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2022 at 12:55 AM, Col. said:

..although that looks to be a busy enough workbench as is :o 

Yes there's no room for anything else on the bench right now! I've got the DC-8, Dash 7 and Buffalo to finish for the Canadian GB, they'll make room for Buccaneers and the F-106B for this GB, and a Meteor in the Meteor STGB when they're done. The Mirage is almost ready for some paint though so will make a bit of space when it goes into the garage for painting - hopefully tomorrow. Here's how it's looking tonight:

Mirage F1 WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 8

Making room on the bench for Buccaneers is always a good thing Julian :thumbsup:  Seems you have ambitious plans for the coming months but all good plans and the Mirage looks to be coming together nicely :coolio:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Making room on the bench for Buccaneers is always a good thing Julian :thumbsup:  Seems you have ambitious plans for the coming months but all good plans and the Mirage looks to be coming together nicely :coolio:

My problem is I have way too many ambitious plans! I’m constantly tempted to start the next one, have to remind myself to focus on the current builds… and before anyone invokes Enzo’s mantra, I’ve calculated that at my best ever build rate I’d still need this GB to last 3 years to get everything on my list done!

• Haha 2

A couple of touch-ups done, undercarriage painted aluminium, and the first few (of many) tiger stripe decals on. These decals will take a while - there are over 100 individual stripe decals!

Mirage F1 WIP

more soon

Julian

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, zebra said:

These decals will take a while - there are over 100 individual stripe decals!

Yikes :blink: A bit of work ahead Julien but the result will be worth the effort.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

Yikes :blink: A bit of work ahead Julien but the result will be worth the effort.

I'm actually looking forward to it. It'll be done in several stages, a few decals at a time while I get on with other things (like the Bucc and the F-106), the decals are really nice to work with and the instructions are really helpful - the placement diagrams are almost 1/72 scale so it's going to make accurate(ish) placement a lot easier than it could have been.

• Like 2

A marathon decal session today, but an enjoyable and relaxing one as these Syhart decals were very nice to work with. All the tiger stripes are now done:

Mirage F1 WIP 3

Mirage F1 WIP

Mirage F1 WIP 2

Should get the rest of the decals on tomorrow.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 11