AdrianMF’s Airfix P-38Hs - Beautiful Lass finished

Right, OD on uniformly (ready to mess up!), drop tanks painted grey (still need to do the pylons but easier to hold now):

49741603-CD24-4-CA0-B0-B2-C637148-A2-B2-

Off to my sis-in-law for an overnight stay, so last week panic will resume tomorrow evening after I’ve driven back and put in a day’s work.

• Like 5

On 10/29/2022 at 2:14 PM, AdrianMF said:

Fi-i-inally, I have some time at the bench. Two kits, handily moulded in slightly different colours of plastic:

14316-AF4-B48-E-49-FD-9427-114935-E8-F5-

The 234 may get some action today too…

Don't forget the mudguards on the 234/4 are all wrong.

3 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

So is this an old Series 2 and an old Series 3, or both Series 2 ?

I don’t know how it moved between series in its history but it’s the second generation kit From Airfix in the early 1970s. The first generation kit was late 50s/early 60s and is being built by @JOCKNEY in this GB. I think it’s a nice kit but then I make a lot of allowances for older kits! YMMV

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

I’ve been dreading this but I think I’ve got away with it:

0-DE934-D8-C101-4225-A7-DF-EF6-F3-DC6794

It’s my first view of the canopy seam and filling because I masked it before I glued it on and filled it - pretty happy with minor touch up that I can do when I paint the framing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

red spinners

Have to say I’m rather fond of them, after a lot of filling and sanding!

I snuck in a pretty solid evening and I feel that at least one of these is going to cross the line on time:

2-D4149-C7-E99-A-492-B-9-F15-22-EF7-DFDC

I’m always a bit nervous about weathering until I’ve seen it in daylight, so fingers are firmly crossed!

• Like 7

I only have one set of Airfix transfers and so I needed to print some more “no step” warnings for the cockpit canopy. I’m not sure I would trust them not to have a white outline for mis-registration anyway.

So Verdana Bold Pro on a 8.7 x 0.8 mm red background, floated off the backing, dried, painted white on the back (I only have clear decal paper) and then green on the back of that for the frame one and attached with Future:

61554-BE5-76-D5-48-DB-BA9-B-F049-F5-E0-A

I guess decalling has begun!

• Like 6

I printed out some filler cap decals in 3, 3.5 and 4mm sizes and the smallest ones seem to work over the OD, although they are a little dark because they are translucent:

1663-C65-A-7-C86-4826-B300-0-E62-FCD36-A

I realised (from a downloaded copy of the Tamiya instructions) that my perfectly smoothly sanded drop tanks needed a seam all the way round, so I put some masking tape strips to good use and gave the tanks another coat of paint. I can’t remember why I sliced up that masking tape in the first place! When they are weathered the drop tanks will get a filler cap too.

• Like 3

…I think that the fuel filler caps on the outer wings are only on later models and shouldn’t be there. The port one has just disappeared under the star and bar, so I will have do do a bit of surgery to the stbd one to remove it.

• Like 1

The canopy "no steps" were what I had been dreading toward the end but they went on a treat, after cutting the carrier film right back & bedding in dilute Klear. Your home grown ones have come out really well.

Steve.

• Like 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to AdrianMF’s Airfix P-38Hs - Beautiful Lass finished

Thanks chaps! I’m very pleased with it. The gremlins did fight a rearguard action regarding the undercarriage (front leg too short or maybe main legs too long) but I think it’s acceptable now. I need to stop messing around with my FB19 and take some pictures for the gallery!