1/72 Special Hobby SH-89(CASA C-212-300 Aviocar)

boss07

Hello:)

Kit is OOB with addition of some scratchbuilt details(full cockpit, pilot seats). Painting was quite a challenge since this was the first time I decided not to use decals (blue and yellow Sweden national colours) but decided to paint them instead.

Only issue I had was with small windows on the sides (they didn't fit well) but other then that very enjoyable build and lovely kit, something different for a change.

Kit: 1/72 Special Hobby SH-89(CASA C-212-300 Aviocar)

Decals: OOB, painted

Paint: Ammo Mig primer and acrylics

Weathering: Ammo Mig washes and Oilbrushers, AK Interactive weathering pencils

🙇‍♂️

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by boss07
  • Like 40

I love the subject and the colour scheme - partly because I really enjoy doing 'left field' subjects but mainly because I was with the Coastguard in the UK and here in NZ for over twenty years.  Off now to see if I can find the same kit !!!

All the best from New Zealand.

• Thanks 1

Excellent!

I've managed to resist the temptation to acquire this kit (I think there's a civil version available).

But I would have to bring my A-game to get it anywhere near as good as that!

I'm also one to like heavily weathered aircraft too. 

👏👏👍👍

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 9:12 PM, Bertie McBoatface said:

Nice build and painting, I like i very much even though it's hard to believe the Swedes would let their aircraft get that dirty!

Thx, yes I agree about the Swedes, I looked for some reference photos and it's super clean, especially the new plane that replaced Aviocar😬..... but I decided to go with dirty version because I'd like to think it gets dirty since it's rescue plane working in sub polar and polar conditions, actually I wanted it to be a bit cleaner but I'm still practicing and catching hand with weathering🙈

• Like 2

On 9/18/2022 at 2:10 AM, Ian said:

I love the subject and the colour scheme - partly because I really enjoy doing 'left field' subjects but mainly because I was with the Coastguard in the UK and here in NZ for over twenty years.  Off now to see if I can find the same kit !!!

All the best from New Zealand.

Thx, glad that you like it and that it brings some memories:)......greetings to Down Under from Croatia

8 hours ago, boss07 said:

Thx, yes I agree about the Swedes, I looked for some reference photos and it's super clean, especially the new plane that replaced Aviocar😬..... but I decided to go with dirty version because I'd like to think it gets dirty since it's rescue plane working in sub polar and polar conditions, actually I wanted it to be a bit cleaner but I'm still practicing and catching hand with weathering🙈

I think weathering is a difficult technique to learn. I suggest that you look at reference photos and see where the dirt is on the airplane. You will find that it is not the same all over. 

The usual areas for dirt, oil, etc are the underneath. Especially under the engines and around the undercarriage. The rest stays clean in the far north because there’s no industrial pollution and because a gloss paint finish is very easy to wash.

Matt camouflage paint gets stained by the oily hands and boots of the engineers but gloss stays clean like airliners. 

• Like 1

Very nice built and painted. I got the kit in my stash since it was released and I´m still not sure what livery it will get when I build it. Your modell is another good reason to do the colorful alternativ.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You will never find a photo of a Swedish Coast Guard aircraft that dirty!

The weathering is overdone, and that detracts from an otherwise splendid model.

I always prefer a clean aircraft, fresh from the painting shop.